Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

numbness on tongue with throat soreness

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
im in a real panic at the moment! a couple of weeks ago i started with a feeling that the back and under my tongue was a bit numb and it is still happening on and off. ever since then i have been in a panic. i also started to get soreness at the top of my throat.
the thing with me is that every time i think there is something wrong with me, i trawl google for answers and search results come up with cancer etc etc and i have scared myself to death reading everything. i was at the dentist about 2 weeks ago and he did a full examination and he said everything was fine. he feels all around your jaw etc
it does seem to subside if my mind is taken off it! its all really quite upsetting and is stressing me out. i am on medication for anxiety. i am on propranolol 80mg a day.
has anyone had or got this same problem. please help me, i need reasurance big time!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest17669
|

replied February 1st, 2008
also i was wondering if it could be related to acid indegestion and reflux?
|

replied February 3rd, 2008
HELP!!
Anybody got any ideas at all because i am going out of my mind?!??!!?
|

yo
Hey

i to am on propanalol 40mg 3times a day i have so many side effects its untrue cold hands and feet,stabbing pains in scalp down my arms, muscle cramps in calves and fore arms, dizzyness, and i had a electric shock sensation in my tongue aswell only happened twice but was awful also a metallic taste in mouth weird also a tingling/crawling sensation on my face that lasted over a week! its got to the point were i dont know whats a side effect and whats anxiety take it easy mate as more worrying about this will bring it on more i was convinced i had ms all the symptoms are the same its probably your mind screwing with you.
|

anxiety is so cruel....it really screws you up....i dont have a life...im only 21 and i feel like a total loser
|

sure is
Yeah its awful i cant remember being "normal" not worrying about meetings or social events stuff like that, things people do without even thinking i hate it but have sorta learned to live with it sighhh
|

replied June 17th, 2009
Similar
Hi Hollie, i have exactly the same problem. It started about a year ago... I used to be so charasmatic and lively, i felt untouchable and free to be myself around people, then it all changed. I started feeling nervous and worried around people even my family. Then not all too long ago i started getting throat pains, i have severe difficulty eating anything, followed by a very sore toungue that only creeps up when i am feeling anxcious or worried. I talk normally most of the time, and then i have spurts where i can barely pronounce my words. I really can't begin to expain how much it hurts to feel these feelings i do, t's just re- assuring to know i'm not the only one who suffers. I think i need to see someone about my problems, i really hope you (and i) will turn out alright.
|

replied June 17th, 2009
Hi Karmanda...im sorry to hear of what you are going through....I know how awful things can get and it really does ruin your life! I seem to get bouts of depression and anxiety every few weeks and then i'll be fine, for say 5 weeks or so then it starts again, the worrying and the stressing about the smallest things! Sometimes i can sob for 2 hours at a time and it is exhausting. All i want to do is sleep when i am down! I really hope that you can try and get some help! are you taking any medication? speak to you soon!
|

replied November 18th, 2009
Have you done bloodwork, it sounds like parestesia its tingling or numbness but, its a sign of a problem (diabetes, pinched nerves, even MS) you need to visit your Neurologist and have test done, they should be able to help you, don't just leave it as problems with anxiety.
|

also check for thyroids sometimes you need to do an ultrasound doesn't show in blood work.
|

i was told that all this problem was to do with me grinding teeth and holding my jaw in a funny position. i have a problem with my jaw which is called TMJ. i catch my tongue on my teeth when i am grinding
|

replied April 16th, 2011
numb toungue
i think im doing the same thing.the toungue thing has been about a month or so now some days better than others.But certain foods and drink set the tingling off.also left ear and neck pain
|

replied November 24th, 2009
I got the same problem. Numb tongue and throat. I thought it was from mdication I am getting or from the mix of medication. I think it is stress and anxiety because I thought I had heart problems and I am only 29. I am doing some tests including theroid tests. I'll let you know once the results come out.
|

replied April 29th, 2010
It has something to do with the propranolol. I took a 10mg pill and spilled what I was going to drink it down with. It started to dissolve in my mouth before I could get a drink. I swallowed it all but within a minute, it felt like my mouth was completely numb! It stayed numb for a very long time but eventually went away.

I tried again later just holding the pill on my the tip of my tongue and it got numb again.

I suggest swallowing the pill asap. It could explain why it started with the back of the throat and the lips. Now I pour a drink in my mouth, put the pill in, and swallow quickly. Try that!
|

replied June 29th, 2010
I have numbness in my throat and mouth as well but only after I eat...then it lingers. At first I thought it was an allergy ,but now I realise it happens after I eat or drink anything. It has been going on for about 3 days.
|

replied July 31st, 2010
tongue numb,anxiety,thyroid
hey guys and girls. please have your thyroid levels checked. i will spare you my life story,but i thought i was crazy with anxiety for years my heart palps,hives etc were misdiagnosed as stress,result of lifestyle,genetics... and only when my heart rate got up to 120bpm and bp 167/98 did someone,very smart, finally test me. i have graves disease/hyperthyroidism. you can request a tsh test from just about anywhere and it costs just over $100.
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2010
ave the same feeling in my throat too =/.
Hey guys. Its true. It could be thyroids. My brother never used to get anxiety attacks or anything like that. It used to be me. Since I had bad asthma and allergic reactions. I would get anxious all of the time. But learned to control that anxiety. My brother has been getting anxious almost all of the time now. And he always feels depressed. Like me. But, he went to a endocronologist. (However you spell that) And, they found out that he has hyperthyroidism. It makes you get anxious. And pretty much brings you down. Now. I'm not sure if I have the same thing now. But. I'm most definitely going to check to that. Because lately I've been getting this numbness in the back of my throat. I thought it was my allergies like the person up there. But. When I take benadryl, which I usually take when I feel like a have a numbness, and itching sensation in my throat. But it didn't go away. And, now I'm all nervous about it. Thinking that I might have throat cancer =(. I went to my doctor, and all he did was look at it. And said that it was fine -__- It has to be something. Because. I never used to feel this constent numbness in my throat. That. Doesn't go away =/. So. I'm going to go back to my Doctor soon. I'll let you guys know what happens. And, I'm happy to have ran across this page. Knowing I'm not the only one who feels this in my throat =/.
|