Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Does Ptu Taste Horrible to Everyone?

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
Can anyone tell if propylthiouracil (ptu) taste horrible for them as well and why?? It's so bad its almost intolerable! Im thinking of switching to methimazole (tapazole), anyone know about that? Would really appreciate some feedback!!

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 12th, 2004
It Does Taste Horrible
I was only on it for 1 week because I ended up having an allergic reaction but every time I took it I thought I was going to be sick from the aftertaste. I have since been but on tapazole - (much better).
|

replied May 23rd, 2004
Ptu Bad Taste
I have been on ptu for 2 months, having to take it 3 times a day. The taste was so horrible I dreaded every dose and suffered for hours after taking it. Confused

Discussed it with my doctor and he seemed to not know what I was talking about - asked if I could take it as one dose - he said no - and was no help. I finally got to see another endicrinologist a few days ago - she understood just what I was talking about - said 20% or so of people experience this -- so switch to tapazole and I couldn't be happier.

Smile
demand that your doctor switch you unless he can give valid reason for remaining with ptu and suffering as you and I both have.

Good luck
|

replied February 12th, 2009
gelcaps
You can buy gelcaps to put them in. You will still have the taste some but it really helps.
Just do not get the gelcaps wet! Smile
|
Tags: bad taste
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul