Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

going off pill causing cysts to burst

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
okay so im 19 years old and my boyfriend and i are TTC the only problem is that when i do ovulate and a cysts is formed it seems to get bigger or burst and my doctor told me months ago that i had to go back on the pill and it would help with removing the cysts. ive now been off the pill for several months and just this month another one burst. i didnt go to the doctor because i no what the pain is like and it only lasted a couple of hours and that was it but i was just wondering if this will have any effect on me trying to get pregnant and if there is anything else i can take besides birth control to help with my cysts. thanks for the help =]
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 31st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I dont know much about how cysts burst but I do know you should see a doctor, maybe a different one, because when you are having lots of cysts you might have PCOS. it can cause fertility trouble and needs medications to keep it under control.

http://www.4women.gov/faq/pcos.htm

Several of my friends have it and one has to be on birth control to get pregnant. It odd but 2 of her kids were conceived while on it, the other was concieved by fertility treatments.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I have PCOS and was on the pill for about 2 years to control the cysts. I got pregnant with my daughter the week I went off the pill. If you have PCOS what is happening is that instead of creating an egg, you form a cyst. Deffinantly see a doctor about it.
|

User Profile
so exactly how do they know if its PCOS and i see that you can still conceive with this problem once you get it treated but how will you no when to get off the pill so you can get pregnant?
|

replied February 1st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
There is no single test to diagnose PCOS. Your doctor will take a medical history, perform a physical exam, and possibly take some tests to rule out other causes of your symptoms. During the physical exam the doctor will want to measure your blood pressure, body mass index (BMI), and waist size. He or she also will check out the areas of increased hair growth, so try to allow the natural hair growth for a few days before the visit. Your doctor might want to do a pelvic exam to see if your ovaries are enlarged or swollen by the increased number of small cysts. A vaginal ultrasound also might be used to examine the ovaries for cysts and check out the endometrium, the lining of the uterus. The uterine lining may become thicker if your periods are not regular. You also might have blood taken to check your hormone levels and to measure glucose (sugar) levels.
|

User Profile
It took a long time to get my diagnosis. Unfortunatly I don't know how they decide when is a good time to stop the pill, mine was a total fluke. I'm thinking they may do an ultrasound to check for cysts/ovulation. Hopefully you have insurance of some sort, some of the tests can be very costly. Don't be afraid, I'm having my 4th baby with PCOS ^^
|

User Profile
wow thank you both so much. i just really hope i dont have something that im going to need surgery with thats what im afraid of cause my cousin had to have surgery and a couple of years later she did have a baby i just dont want to go threw all of that. but thank you again you guys have been a major help =]
|

User Profile
Supporter
I have PCOS. I've been put on birthcontrol for 6 months then I go back in to have test done too see if it helped. I'm also ttc. I ask if I could still have kids and she said yes but it might take a while.
|

User Profile
so even though you are on the pill you can still have a baby?
|

User Profile
I think they expect you to get pregnant when you stop taking it ^^. It took me five years to get pregnant with my second baby, then 4 more years to have my daughter but only two years with this last one. The wait varries but I wish all of you ladies with PCOS the best of luck and happy healthy pregnancies.
|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2008
Supporter
ohmyitsdi wrote:

I'm guessing the bc help prevent the cysts. So, when you get off hopefully it'll help keep your periods coming. Confused . I'm not really sure I'm still all new to this.
|

replied February 3rd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
ohmyitsdi wrote:

No... the whole point of birth control is to prevent pregnancy. You normally cannot get pregnant when taking it. Ovarian cyst problems do not affect birth control. Birth control works to prevent cyst problems because cysts form when you ovulate. If you're on birth control, you don't ovulate so there is nothing to burst.
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2008
Supporter
Thanks Eiri for that wonderful illustration! That's what i was trying to say just couldn't get it out! Thanks hun!
|

replied August 28th, 2008
HI there. I just came across your post and i'm so glad that i found it. I have been having the same problem as you. Last October i had a cyst burst and all the doctors did was put me back on birth control( i had been off for about 2 years). Now i am trying to find ways to get off of them again, because I don't like the way it makes me feel. I went to Elephant Pharmacy today and the nutritionist recommended Calcium D-Glucarate- THat is the same nurtriants that you would get from eating broccoli, brussle sprouts, grapefruit and apples. But it basically detoxifies your body of the build up of harmful estrogen, cause by the BC. ANyway, i was really excited to find out about this so i thought id pass it on.
She also recommended Fish oil which is high in omega 6, also very beneficial to this problem. Hope this helps you!

-Mo
|

replied December 20th, 2012
i have tiny polycyst ovaries in both ovary,i m 25 n nt married.doctor hav told to use mcyst tablet with diana 25 birth control pill.i m so worried.will d cysts go away completly wid dose medicines?pls help me
|