Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Miscarriage and Stillbirth Forum

dead fetus inside body

How long can a dead fetus stay inside the mothers body? and is it risking the mothers life by letting a dead fetus stayin her body?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper marydora7
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I don't know...my neighbor lady had one and didn't know she was even pregnant. She said it was several months before they figured out what was wrong, and now she's allergic to everything that grows. (she's in her 80's now, and it happened when she was really young) It really messed her system up pretty bad.
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I'm not sure but if a woman suspects this has happened she should consult someone asap
|

replied December 12th, 2009
how long can a dead baby stay in the womb for
i was 12 weeks pregnant, and when i had a scan the baby had died at 6 weeks, but it took till 12 weeks for my body to naturally get the baby out,ididnt even have any symptons that anything was wrong till i had a scan so a dead baby can stay inside you for 6 weeks a t least once it has died
|

replied February 2nd, 2011
no, it wont hurt you. I lost one of my identical twins at 22 weeks. he stayed in me until my c-section at 35 weeks. there are many cases where the fetus is lost earlier, such as in the 10-14 week where the remains get absorbed into the placenta and tissue. my remains were too big to be absorbed, so it was delivered with my live baby.
|

replied February 2nd, 2011
no, it wont hurt you. I lost one of my identical twins at 22 weeks. he stayed in me until my c-section at 35 weeks. there are many cases where the fetus is lost earlier, such as in the 10-14 week where the remains get absorbed into the placenta and tissue. my remains were too big to be absorbed, so it was delivered with my live baby.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2011
dead fetus in womb
I'm really scared that i may have been pregnant and i believe that i may have lost the baby...its been 5 months since my last period and i don't have enough money to go to a doctor. what will happen. will the fetus be absorbed or will i have a scary and disturbing experience once my body pushes it out of me. I'm so scared that I'm having nightmares about it. I'm to scared to even tell my husband about my worries. I'm just at a loss.
|

replied November 20th, 2011
worried 13
worried13 you can always get free help at your local health department.
|

replied July 27th, 2011
dead fetus in womb
did you take a pregnancy test? You might still have enough hormones in your urine to determine. However, regardless the cost, you should go to the doctor. All you would need is an ultrasound to confirm or deny. It is covered 100 percent in most insurance companies. It is horrifing to have a dead baby just come out of you like I did 5 days after I delivered a live baby. At least go to a clinic that can help you out.
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2011
Yes, I've taken multiple test and they all come out negative. I'm hoping it's just my cycle that isn't normal. I have gone 3 months before without a period and that was when i was a virgin so i knew i wasn't pregnant. I also don't have insurance. Maybe I'm being ignorant but if there is a dead baby inside me, I'll have something similar to a birth right? I won't just suddenly feel a little hand or something coming out right?
|

replied July 28th, 2011
dead fetus
I cant say what will or will not happen. If you are not working or your employer does not offer insurance, assuming you are not married, you are elligible for state insurance. Many womens clinics are free for women in your cases. I can tell you, I had a complicated twin birth, and yes, a body part was sticking out of me 5 days after I gave birth to my live son....mistake on doctors part. You should still see or speak to a gyno.
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2011
ok well thanks for the info. And I am married
|

replied January 20th, 2012
my fetus stayed in my body dead for 3-4months
about 9 months ago i missed my periods for 3 months and had quite a few symptoms of being pregnant but i had many pregnancy tests come back negative and decided to get a blood test which are %100 accurate but when my body came to term with that being negative the next day i started bleeding heavily. but after that i just got my normal cycle but i wasnt able toconceive. but about 3 months ago, i found out i WAS pregnant when my body naturally released my deceased baby and two months later i found out that i was pregnant again but once again home tests wouldnt show, i had to get a blood test
|

replied May 12th, 2012
I am possibly 6 months pregnant, i was "taken advantage of" or raped whichever anyone wishes to call it. I am 21, never missed a period before this, and have now gone 6 months without it. But ive had no symptoms of pregnancy whatsoever besides a little weight gain(probably from depression). I am terrified and thought for the first few months it was just my hormone levels changing or something as that tends to run in my family, but 6 months is too long. Ive had the same boyfriend for four years now and im scared he'll find out. I cant afford to see a doctor as i do have a crappy part time job, no insurance, so theyd charge me like crazy. If the fetus isn't alive would i have a normal birth or would it just stay there and cause problems later?
|

replied June 21st, 2012
Experienced User
You need to see a doctor, If you are in the US they offer free pregnancy testing and can get you the resources you need to evaulate it further if needed. msg me if you need to.

-Brittany
|

replied July 19th, 2012
Can you get pregnant while a dead baby is still in you
|

replied July 19th, 2012
Can you get pregnant while a dead baby is still in you
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
I am. Currently pregnant and felt severely sick and sore with pains in right side bad and just found out I have a dead baby inside me as well as an alive 8 week old Sad. I am on bed rest and see my dr Monday but need to go to ER if feel anything different or worse immediately
|

replied June 30th, 2013
At 13 weeks I found out my baby had died at 9 weeks. Now I am almost 19 weeks
& still have not miscarried. The fetus has absorbed but the sac is still there. I feel like it will never be over. I find it hard sometimes to go about my days as if everything is nirmal. Will the sac be absorbed too, or do I wait indefinitely to miscarry & is that even safe since its been almost 10 weeks since it died? Need advice. Im so sad.
|

replied June 30th, 2013
At 13 weeks I found out my baby had died at 9 weeks. Now I am almost 19 weeks
& still have not miscarried. The fetus has absorbed but the sac is still there. I feel like it will never be over. I find it hard sometimes to go about my days as if everything is nirmal. Will the sac be absorbed too, or do I wait indefinitely to miscarry & is that even safe since its been almost 10 weeks since it died? Need advice. Im so sad.
|
Quick Reply