Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Wake Up Screaming

Shocked my son wakes up in the middle of the night screaming like something is after him. He is still when that happens and does'nt remember anything about the next morning. Can anyone give me some information on this problem. It has scared his brother as well my husband and myself.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 7th, 2005
My lil brother used to do that he used to scream at the top of his lungs like some thing was about to kill him. They are mostly dreams that they are having like something is getting them and its a reaction in there dream, that happens to come out. Its normal to have a child that does it just make sure no more scarey things at night try using a night light in his room and in the hallway in the bath room make it light for him so he feels more safe.
|

replied April 14th, 2009
my two year old son has been doing this lately waking up screaming, kicking, hitting and just hysterical.i don't know how to help him or what to do.he can do it 2hrs after he goes to bed or 4hrs it's really all over the place.i can't tell if he's awake or asleep i really need some advice on what to do. ive tried everything. he's always been on a routine so it's the same thing everynight when i put him down and nothing has really changed.i find he does this more when he hasn't napped during the day (which is usually when he's with my mother in law) any suggestions?
|

replied January 12th, 2012
Help
I was just curious if u ever figured out why he was doing this, my daughter is doing this and like today didn't have a nap then feel asleep early then woke up screaming and nothing I could do would soothe her. N need for some advice. Thanks
|

replied April 27th, 2009
my brother
my brother wakes up screaming in the middle of the night and then has a epileptic fit. its been happening for a while now. It get really bad at times he get up and does not know what he is doing . doctors say its a "panic" attack but its cant be. he use to have epelepsy when he was young. and thank god it has stoped but now it happens while he sleeps. what could it be, and what do we do to find out?
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
Night terrors
This disorder is called a night terror. It's highly common in toddlers and small children. These night terrors are like nightmares, but much more severe and sometimes dangerous for both the child and the parent. The sleeper may wake up screaming, thrashing about, talking incoherently. Usually, it's impossible to comfort them because the child never fully wakes up and almost always fails to remember what happened.

Night terrors indicate an undeveloped nervous system, which is nothing to worry about, due to the fact the child is still growing. However, this can also be linked to anxiety disorders and siezures. If this issue becomes too much to handle, it is recomended that you consult a physcologist. There are medicines to help your mind relax and become less sensitive to certain worries.

In adults, these terrors more often than not indicate stress or anxiety. Try keeping a dream journal. Look back on it a few times every week. You may be able to recognize certain things that you cause you distress in the back of your mind.
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2012
Waking up screaming and sleep walking at 6 years old
My friend just told me that her son wakes up about two or three times a week screaming. She said his eyes are wide open and saying something, but she cannot understand what he is saying and then he does not remember in the morning. She also said he sleep walks. Is there something wrong should she be worried he is only 6????
|

replied July 20th, 2013
night terrors, advice is needed.
To put this as simply as possible, my sons mother can only be defined by a list of swear words. Tonight is the first night I have seen him for 20 weeks, the day after his third birthday. He has just woke up with a night terror, which I have witnessed from him once or twice but not like this. This was horrifying, at first I simply blamed myself, thinking it was maybe unfamiliarity which has caused this. Almost reduced to tears, he started to speak, talking about his mums boyfriend, saying he hates him, that he hits and smacks him. Today has been great with him I would like to add, it was almost as if them 29 weeks didn't happen, but this is highly frustrating me considering he'd told me earlier today that his mums boyfriend had cut his foot, which could have an explanation. But there is no explanation as to why my son is being like this. He is blatantly scared of him, and i can understand why, i used to be friends with him, until he faded away and ended up with an asbo, my sons mother is practically the same person, evil woman who is simply a psychopath. I seriously need some help, or advice as to how seriously to take this? I'm scared of my own reaction, as i may be over reacting. But if someone could have this effect on a child, is there such thing as overreaction?
|

replied August 20th, 2014
Sleep disorder
my girl friend does this sort of thing. She often wakes up screaming and sometimes runs through the house thinking the whole house is moving with no idea what she did and dont remember a bit of it when she fully wakes up. i have caught her yelling and crawing about on the bed like something was after her. She often just yells STOP! STOP! STOP! and i have to run in to make sure she doesnt get out of control. On a good day she will only just say things calmly like telling me to watch the road while im sitting on the coach next to her while she sleeps lol. first time i seen her do this it kinda freaked me out. But now im used to it and it just became an every day thing around the house.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Bhupinder HirA
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Dr. Joel W. Steelman