Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

sour tasting discharge (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
my discharge is normal most of the time, but during sex it has a sour taste. i noticed when i gave my my boyfriend oral sex after we had had intercourse. i know the taste comes from my discharge during sex and just wondered if this is normal and how i cud change it? he says it doesnt bother him but i think he might just be being nice
any advice would be welcomed thank u!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile charleysma
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Supporter
Possibly bacterial vaginosis - very simple to cure! ASk your doc for a prescription.
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Supporter
vaginal discharge does taste sour a lot of the time because it is slightly acidic. the ph level of the vagina changes during your cycle, but it is about ph4 (ph7 being neutral) so it is naturally 'sour' to the taste.

the only reason you should be worried is if it is lumpy in consistency, or if you have itching, or is if the smell or taste is foul. if it was i'm sure it'd be pretty noticeable!
|

replied January 31st, 2008
thanks, is there anything you can do to change the acidity?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2008
Supporter
not as far as i am aware. the reason it is acidic is so that it doesn't make an environment that bacteria can live in. the acidity helps to stop you getting infections. unless you are seeing some big unusual changes in your discharge, you have nothing to worry about. you are normal.
|

replied January 17th, 2009
Sour taste like vaginal discharge,non itchy..nor smelly
I am almost 19 yrs old, and i've had white,non itchy vaginal discharge for a long time now.i've had it for more than 4 yrs..but not every day.sometimes i don't get it for months and sometimes out of nowhere i'd start getting it everyday for a month or two. i don't know why it could be!? I started getting PAP tests and i've had all of them being Negative!! The discharge is white,it sticks to my underwear,it's not itchy,it doesn't have bleeding,nothing, but i'm still worried. I know it might sound gross but i tasted it once and it had a sour taste,it doesn't smell at all...but im wondering if it's normal for me to have that white discharge so often and without any other symptoms..except a sour taste...i do shower and also when i shower i use my fingers to clean it out but it still comes out after a day. IS ALL this normal???? Sad Sad Sad im soooo scared.
THANK YOU ALL!!!
|

replied April 29th, 2013
I used to get the white discharge even before i've had sex, from 14-17 id get a white streak in my underwear i never tasted it though, but never noticed a smell or itch from it either. I did play basketball a lot and was in ballet. I'm guessing they were just yeast infections, but nothing harmful. If the Doctor says you're ok, then you're ok. It does sound to me like a yeast infection, though I'm not a professional. It doesn't mean you're dirty. There are plenty of underlining sources, stress, diet, exercise, douching/over washing it. I don't think you should worry. You're vagina is self-cleansing, don't worry if something was wrong you'd be terribly itching and burning.
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Its normal.

Fiona explained it very well. Scroll up and have a look see Wink

Hormonal changes that happen throughout your menstrual cycle can also affect your normal pH level. The discharge you are getting is probably because you are ovulating. Some months your discharge may be heavier than others.
|

replied March 11th, 2009
Generic BC causes sour tasting discharge
I am 22 and this same thing started to happen to me about 4 months ago. I had a think white clumpy discharge that did NOT smell or itch. I discovered it when I was with my boyfriend. Luckily I am very close to him so it wasn't too embarassing, but truth is I tasted it and it was SO SOUR. Anyway... long story short, I went to the gyno cause I was totally freaked out and thought I had some STD. She gave me antibiotics for BV, which DID NOT help and was probably not good for my body bc it was not what I had. I then had a realization that the whole thing started at the same time I started using the generic version of Yasmine, Ocella. OCELLA F's up your body! I realized after thinking about it that I had breast pain among a whole bunch of other side effects that had been new since the switch...INCLUDING the sour taste!!! I switched to low dose YAZ and all problems were fixed. Moral of the story: BC messes with your hormone levels, but the generic versions of many birthcontrols have different fillers and can effect your body in some different ways. If you have been on the same BC, try switching to another one for a while. I swear it will solve all your problems!!! Good luck ladies! Don't let a bad birth control ruin your sex life!!
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
i am 16 and i have noticed that i have had a white clumpy discharge that sticks to my underware it has happened for about a year now and im not sure what it is it does not smell it is not itchy but it happens around every day to every second day im really worried and dont know what it is do i have an STD??
please help
|

replied January 17th, 2012
Idk, you know how us ladies have like vaginal discharge everyday. Some more than others though!
It's kinda common sense...if it doesn't smell disgusting & you're not ichy all the time. It must be normal. Do they sometimes look like white boogers? & it sticks to your undies? I get it all the time cause it's normal haha!
|

replied July 12th, 2009
HELP !!!
no you dont have and STD trust me i had bad ways when i was your age i slept around i smoked and i did cocaine and i had the same issue as you ................it stays and i have it everyday mine tastes sour but i stopped sleeping around and im in a long term relationship and before i seltp wiht my bf had an STD test it was all clear i was fine i spoke to my GP about it all and he basically said that we are all differnt dn he said it iwll settle down and he was right i only get it lyk every month or so now and pretty much my hormones whrer crazy from all t4h sex and drugs and alcohol and now evrything down there is fine seriosuly its one of those things you grow out of trust me i hope i have helped i do not take cocaine i lost my septum from it !!!!
|

User Profile
replied July 12th, 2009
Supporter
xXBMTHXx
what you have is a yeast infection, that is the classic symptoms of having white cottage cheese stuff in your underwear. you can go to CVS or walgreens and buy some yeast infection medicine. they have one day, three day, or seven day medication. but i am 100% sure you have a yeast infection.
anytime you have a problem you would have to tell someone or go to a doctor, so the problem wont snow ball to something worse.
|

replied August 1st, 2009
complicated vagina
How can you tell if you've got a yeast infection or BV? I think i have both.. For years my discharge has been white, thick, sour. And occasinally i'll get bouts of reoccuring stubborn thrush, but then it'll smell funny too. I feel so sorry for my boyfriend (of 6 years) as its really putting me off any oral sex, which i used to love! I get thrush once every two months! And i take all the advice like cotton underwear, no doucheing (which is really hard not to do when all you want is your vagina to smell and taste nice) I've been tested for ALL std's and diabetes - negative result!! I'm at my wits end really!

I've even resorted to putting a tampon inside myself before i know im going to have sex, to absorb the discharge, then take it out secretly just before my fella goes down there!! Highly impracticle..

Also coating a tammpon in strawberry flavoured lube, takes the edge off!!

So today i bought some Balance activ to help with the PH inside my vagina... Hope it helps.. If not im lost!

God its hard being a woman...
|

replied September 14th, 2009
pH remedy?
I too have suffered that sour taste and Ive been reading that its this pH thing. How do I get mine back to where it was? I never tasted like that before!!
|

replied September 15th, 2012
get rid of sour vaginal taste - FREE AT HOME!
I've been having a similar problem - my discharge was white and thickish (not clear, slimy/slippery like it should be). There was no smell, but the taste was all wrong - BITTER, SOUR, TART. It was gross and went on for many months. I tried metrondazole (prescribed for BV), and I tried squirting hydrogen peroxide into my vagina, as I had seen some message boards recommend. No avail - the odorless, sour taste remained. It was very gross/embarrassing and I would not let my husband go down on me.

I read last night about baking soda and decided to give it a whirl. Some boards suggested swishing in a bath of baking soda and water but this didn't sound like it would get the solution way up into the problem area enough. So I made a mixture of half baking soda/half water (about a teaspoon of each), poured that into a plastic syringe (no needle of course), laid on my back and squirted the sucker in. It BURNED LIKE HELL. I thought I had made a horrible mistake and splashed cold water on the outside of my vagina to try to stop the burning. It was very painful. I went to bed whimpering and feeling like I had seriously damaged the old Queen Victoria. When I woke up, there was no stinging/burning sensation. Without much hope, I tasted my juices. THE SOUR TASTE WAS GONE!!! I finally, finally tasted like my old, clean, normal self. It's been about 24 hours since the baking soda/water insertion and there is NO SOUR TASTE!!

Ladies, try this out - it's easy and practically free. The only cost is the burning, burning pain you'll feel but that is SO WORTH getting rid of the disgusting, embarrassing sour taste.
|

replied October 14th, 2012
I'm terrified to try this. like what if it messes up my vagina or something. I don't want something to go wrong. but at the same time the fact that it worked is really appealing...
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
I'm 15 and i've been having discharge since i started getting my period. I get it everyday and it's usually white or white with a very small yellow tint. It tastes sour and doesnt smell that bad but im still wondering if this is normal.
|

replied November 26th, 2009
I think this is all normal. At least I hope it is. I've been having all of the same thing since I was 11. That's when I started getting my period. I have regularly had at some point and for varying lengths of time, white, sometimes thick, sour tasting discharge with no itching or discomfort. It also smells sour. Not unpleasantly sour but sour like sour candies or something...it smells like it tastes.If it's a yeast infection that means I've been getting them at least monthly for 11 years (I'm 22) lol. I've asked several docs about it and they tested for stuff and got nothing. So I think u guys are ok. ^_^
|

replied November 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
it is nothing to worry about most woman and girls get yeast infections and bv just go to the pharmacy or your docs....Jenny
|

replied November 27th, 2009
wow. I am not alone in this matter. I too have all the same issues, whiteish yellowish discharge, all the time. SOme days its horrible. Like I can stand up and it feels as though I have wet myself. I've been getting this since I was 11. I am now 24, I have had 3 gyn's and the most recent one tested me for BV. She gave me antibiotics and said that I am very lucky. Bcz after having it so long I could have gone sterile. It creeps up into ur uterus and does something, causing sterility. So If u have these symptoms, plz ladies get it checked and then get a second, third and 4th opinion. Razz
|

replied April 2nd, 2013
I though symptoms of BV were thin discharge that has a foul odor?
|

replied November 30th, 2009
REALLY!?!?! OMG!!! That's scary... Now I'm panicked...breathe breathe... Ok. I'll be going in for a few opinions...hopefully I can go soon. :S
|

replied December 7th, 2009
chronic yeast infection in vagina
Hello - i hope this is all not too late. What you all are describing sounds like you may have a bout of Candida, which if left untreated, and uncared for can be very dangerous. What Candida is, is an overgrowth of yeast (candida albicans) in your body, usually starts in the intestinal gut. Its presence shows in symptoms such as a chronic yeast infection, mild or otherwise and other ways such as fatigue, depression, athlete's foot in men etc.

Our diet and use of anti biotics is a big cause of this. Don't let it get out of control because it is hard to eradicate. I am 33 and undergoing week 2 of my treatment and it's not easy.

To relieve the symptoms in your vagina, douche with either Pau D'Arco tea (2 cups) for 3 days, followed by 3 days of yogurt with a probiotic pill. During the days when you feel no itch, douche with Apple Cider Vinegar (1 table spoon to a cup of filtered/bottled water)-- this will make the vagina alkali so it is not a good environment for yeast overgrowth.

Avoid antobiotics at all cost -- and if you must, take every antibiotic with lots of probiotic. Take probiotics on a daily basis, eat lots of yoghurt and limit your intake on sugary sweet stuff. that's what yeast feeds off.
|

replied January 25th, 2010
White sour tasting discharge
Okay so I find this website to be the best I've found so far. Ive been having this problem too. Im only 16 years old but I take very good care of myself. Ive never had oral sex but I have been sexually active. My question is. . .althrough the taste is sour, and I dont have the regular clear discharge, does this effect how wet I get while having sex? Ive noticed lately that because of the white sour tasting discharge, ive become drier. This is really worrying me, i dont know what to do or how to react. Can someone please help me out...?? Sad
|