Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

10 month old not sleeping through night (Page 1)

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Hi, I hope someone can help me.
My first child...10 mo. old.
He is still breastfed---in that I pump and give it in a bottle and have been doing so since birth.
He still wakes up in the night maybe 2 times...my mom is saying this is not right and I want someone to verify if this is correct....should he be sleeping thru the night--even if getting breastmilk.

He is NOT eating very well these days...very fussy, this is new in the past 2 or 3 days...usually he's not too bad of an eater.

Also, I can't seem to get him to go to bed until about 10pm...is this NORMAL for anyone else?????
It doesn't matter how long I try and put him down (but I do stay with him, I give him 5 or so minutes alone, and then if he cries I go in...but he won't go down until usually around 10pm.
He gets up at 8am....has a morning nap at 11am then sometimes has a late afternoon nap at 5pm, and then won't go to bed until around 10pm.

Now, if I delete his late afternoon nap he doesn't quite make it thru to 8 or 9, but falls asleep maybe around 7pm...but...it always works that if this happens, then he will sleep for an hour, and then wakes up and is up until 11pm...
HELP...I don't know what to do about these problems..anyone have any suggestions..
My mother is DRIVING ME CRAZY WITH CRITICISM THAT I'M NOT DOING THINGS RIGHT AND I WILL REGRET IT LATER ON...

Thanks for any and all advice.
Sue.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper samwashick
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2008
Experienced User
Hi,

I have a 7 month old baby girl,who is 7 months old,still breastfed and doesnt sleep thru the night either!Wink

It is totally 100% normal for babies to still be waking during the night,eveb beyond 12 months!

I dont know if your mum realises that 'sleeping thru' is actually a classified as a stretch of 5 hours sleep overnight?

Some peopl are lucky and their babies start sleeping thru for long periods when they are young.But babies are designed to wake overnight,it keeps mum's milk supply going strong.And it lessens the chance of SIDS.

I still sleep with my bubba,its much easier to feed her overnight that way,and I find I get more sleep because I dont fully wake up.

Rest assured this is NORMAL behaviour,and it wont go on forever!!
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2008
Supporter
I have a 20 1/2 month old boy and he still doesn't sleep through the night. Some babies just don't. Don't let anyone tell you that you are doing something wrong.

The fussiness and not eating could be a sign of teething, or possibly and ear infection.

If you want him to go to sleep a little earlier at night, try pushing his morning nap back by about an hour. My boys always have lunch at 12 and then take a nap for about 2 hours. My 9 month old usually goes to bed about 8 and the 20 1/2 month old usually goes about 9. I think you should try to feed him lunch or something to keep him up until 12. If he takes a good nap, I would just cut out the late afternoon nap. He should be ready to go to bed by 8, and hopefully stay asleep.

If you need anything, feel free to pm me anytime.
|

replied February 25th, 2008
I agree with samanthaM that it could be teething or ears... My 9 month old was sleeping wonderfully until he started teething at 7 months. Well since then I have been up from 2 to 6 times a night. He also got glue ears in the last month, which are not painful, but uncomfortable and it interfears in their sleep. Got him on medication and it is clearing up. Luckily it does not last forever, but remember that every baby is different and do not take the criticism to heart. If you have a good GP, go see him/her or visit a pediatrician to get peace of mind.
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I agree with the above posters. Every baby is different and you mom should never interfere with you like this. She should be more supportive. It's actually not a good thing for kids to sleep through the night (which at most is only 6 hours straight) if something is wrong. Your mother comes from a generation where the main thing was to get the baby to sleep through no matter what. They would give the baby cereal to help them sleep back then, but now we all know that it's not a good idea to do that. They need the comfort and the nutrition of more feedings, not a lump of starch in their stomach. Your mother should be more supportive of you...it's not yours or the baby's fault that this is going on. It's just life.

Your baby is only 10 months old. Some of my children would still make a nightly visit to my room even after they were two!! (Not to scare you lol.) I have a sister in law whose babies would sleep through the night as soon as they reached 10 lbs.

A lot of babies teethe around this time and also go through growth spurts. This will throw off any sleep schedule. Just make sure he is getting enough to eat and taking his naps during the day. You can give him a little infant Tylenol before bed to ease the teething pain too.

Your schedule that you have the baby on really isn't too bad....Here is a link to a chart which you can use as a guideline for what he needs. Smile

http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-how-much -sleep-does-your-child-need_7645.bc
|

replied March 8th, 2008
Experienced User
Great to read the above info. Thanks all.

I have a 7month old baby who cries between 4 to 5 times a night. and stays awake an hr or so on end. .

Well if other people are going through the same thing, I guess I simply have to wait it out.
|

replied January 25th, 2009
My 10 month old doesnt sleep through either! When he was between 2 and 4 months he slept from around 11 til 6 but after that when his bedtime became earlier he started to wake every 2 or 3 hours! He also started to get bad eczema and he would wake scratching but now i think he wakes out of habit-and I breastfeed him so he will sleep again! I'm too tired to try resettling he cries for what seams like forever so its just easier and quicker to put him back on the boob!
I dont know what to do either!
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2009
Community Volunteer
iF he still has the eczema, you baby there baby lotions made for eczema that can sooth it. I often find that my babies break out because of milk products. Eliminating those from his diet should help his skin condition, which he will probably grow out of after the first 2 years of his life.

If he wakes a cries, it could be a habit, but also make sure that he is getting enough to eat during the day. He could also be cutting teeth through the bone (which is more painful than cutting through the gum.)
|

replied February 18th, 2009
sleepless mum
hi i have a 13 month old boy who hasnt slept through the night since he was 3 month old. he is teething and i have tried giving him all sorts of panadol and nothing seems to work. im getting up to around 12 times a night or not even sleeping at all till early on in morning.just for a couple hours. im getting very tired and exhaused. if any one has any ideas on what to do now i would love to hear them. thanks
|

replied April 26th, 2009
sleepness nights teething and eczema
Hi, i have a 12 month baby boy who is still not sleeping through without waking up 2-3 times a night. He goes to bed around 7ish and wakes fully at between 6-6.30am. He is teething badly which i'll give alittle calpol for when his cheeks are red and the herbal crystals to help the gums, that usually helps him sleep longer. He'll still have 2 bottles in the night roughly every 5 hours. I was worried he should be sleeping through all night without waking but after reading everyones comments its put my mind at rest. My son also suffers with eczema....like myself. since it started i stopped using any soap whatsoever and i use oilatum bath as an additive, aqueous cream as soap and diprobase cream after bath. It has completely cleared up. The problem for eczema is hard water and soap drying the skin. All oilatum stuff is very good and boots also do a special ezcema shampoo that i always use. I know from my own skin how eczema can keep me awake at night let alone a baby.
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2009
Develop a Good Night Ritual
Now this sure won't do the trick all the time (bummer!) but we found it helps here:

Get into a family routine so baby will know it's about night-night time. For example:

- shut off noise makers like TV, radio, etc.

- put pets out for their last potty period and tell them night-night, too.

- bathe and dress kids in night clothes

- slow rocking with baby, book reading session

- meditation type sounds to sooth for sleep lights out and leave the room.
|

replied May 21st, 2009
sleep problems for a 10 mnth old baby
hi all,
my baby entered 10th month and i am also facing the same problem. may its due to teething. my baby is also always pulling his ears.

i will tell you what my mother told me to do
she says..........
1. a mother should first of all have a disciplined routine.

2. she should get up early in the morning around say 5 am and finish off all household chores such as cooking, puting things back in order, washing clothes etc

3. better to keep some servant for cleaning vessels and floor.

4. cook babys food

5. so by the time your baby wakes up say around 8 am you are ready to feed him breakfast.

6. play with him peacefully now you have no work to do.

7. give him oil massage, and bathe him

8. both mother and baby should have lunch before 1 pm and then both sleep for some time.

9. wake up again play with the baby.

10. give supper around 7 pm.

11. now slow down activities.

12. give an oil massage, no need to undress baby fully massaging knee joints feet, legs very slowly would be fine.if its summer better give a body bath to baby, a quick one.

13. mother should massage her feet also for 2 min. and immerse feet in hot water for 5 min
or have a shower

14. go to sleep around 8 or 9 pm.

my mom says that this method works, and both mom and baby develop a healthy relationship. moreover he will learn how to lead a disciplined life in the future.
the only thing i feel tough is to get up so early
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2009
My oldest only slept through the night 3 times that I can remember before reaching about 2 and a half years. My new baby is nine months old now and still wakes up 3 to 5 times a month. It doesn't seem to matter what I try. LOL, sorry to be a downer buy I think sometimes kids are just gonna do things the way they want regardless of what we want.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
I too have a 10 month old that does not sleep through the night. He has mild ezcema (which I treat with Aveeno intense moisturizer and Calendula cream) and is very active.

It helps to have a night time routine but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't go the way you've planned. So many people will tell you how it has to be and there are a few rules to follow but every baby is different.

Depending on how our day goes; we try to have dinner around 5:00 or 5:30. However, if napping has been an issue during the day, sometimes my babe is sleeping at 5:00 so I don't worry about it; I just feed him when he wakes up.

Then we have a bath which he loves so I keep him in there for 15 or 20 minutes. We play on the floor together until he gets fussy which is usually around 7:45pm at which time I give him a bottle of formula on a pillow out in the living room with us. He will suck on the bottle for a bit, get up and play, and than go back to the bottle for a bit. I also always try to give him a snack at around this time so he goes to bed with a full tummy.

Sometimes, he's tired enough to go down at 8:30pm but I do try to keep him up until 9:00 or 9:30pm in hopes that he will sleep longer in the morning. I do put him to bed with a bottle of formula which is more to pacify him as he doesn't seem to really drink that much. The key is to be interactive but have quiet activity before bedtime; I find my son is much happier if I get down on the floor with him and play with blocks or read a book than if I am trying to do housework.

If he wakes up anytime before 5:00am...I try to let him soothe himself back to sleep (I also put him to bed with a soother clip). He usually will but the first couple of times I had to let him cry for nearly an hour which was heartbreaking.

If he wakes up after 5:00am, I will go in and give him another bottle and he's usually pretty good about going back to sleep for a few hours.

Sometimes this works; sometimes it doesn't. Last week for example, he got a little stomach bug and had diarrhea which interrupted his sleep pattern. The week before that, he was teething so again...up at odd times. This time is really hard for sleep routines b/c not only is teething an issue and growth spurts but your baby is getting more and more active during the day and sometimes, his or her little brain just can't quite shut down at night.

Try not to stress too much about it - research a few different sleep techniques and try them and see what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!!
|

replied January 6th, 2010
my 10month old doesnt sleep thru the nite either she wakes up for a bottle twice thru the nite an goes straight back to sleep she has all her meals thru the day plus snacks and bottles but still seems to b hungry
|

replied January 10th, 2010
No rest for the weary
My 10 month old has 2 speeds, go and stop. He is still breastfed, eats solids 3 times a day, and has snacks throughout. He is teething. He will go to bed between 8 and 9 every night, but without fail will wake up in 1 to 2 hours, and then every couple of hours after that. He is up in the mornings anywhere from 4 to 7 and is ready to party. I can't seem to get a handle on his schedule. He's been like this since birth but has gotten worse since he started walking a month and a half ago. I'm scheduled to go back to work in a couple of months and I'm afraid that he won't sleep. The nighttime routines help to settle him, but do nothing for the length of time he sleeps. I need a miracle!!!!!
|

replied January 21st, 2010
For what it is worth, I recommend that you try to change his sleep patterns softly. The big problem is the 5pm nap. If my son did that (and he used to) he would go to sleep at 10-11pm. Ideally I aim for a nap at 10am and one at 2pm. My son is also 10 mths and this works well. This being said I got their in 10 minute increments. Meaning that every day I moved his nap times a little until they were more reasonable. And don't listen to your mother's criticism. It sounds to me like your child is sleeping enough from a health perspective. It is just a question of making his sleep schedule more reasonable so that you can feel more rested (and have more energy for your baby). All the best.
|

replied February 1st, 2010
Sleeping through the night
sometimes i wonder what sleeping through the night really means. in books and online information, it means simply sleeping through a stretch of 5hrs.. but i guess to mummies esp mummy like me, i would say it means that they totally wont wake up for milk till their wake up time in the morning. its ok if they wake up to switch to a comfortable position and fall back asleep right back without milk. my DD has been sleeping through the 'night' from 9pm to 5.30am for her first milk feed and then falls right back to sleep since 5.5mths but then she is stuck there and not improving... she is still waking up for her milk at 5.30-6.30am (very seldom she can sleep till 730am) and she wakes up for her day around 9am.. i wonder when she can start sleeping from 9-9 without waking at all! Recently she has this bad habit of waking up every hr to 30mins after her first morning feed and always want to be put on the breast. so pratically from 7am she is on the breast till 9am! my nipple hurts! BTW, she is 15mths now...

oh yah she did wake up all of a sudden at 6-7mths every 2hrs! i thought it might be teething so i just endured but then it lasted for 3 weeks and im dead tired.. so i tried the controlled crying method and checking in on her every 10-15min or so and it lasted for 1 week iirc.. somehow i stopped doing it as her crying duration increased after the 1 week! i just felt she might not be ready for CIO so i stopped..i remember trying a lot of methods to make her sleep through. i even resort to rocking her or simply carrying her when she wakes up in the middle of the night and not giving milk. sometimes i need to rock/carry her for 1.5hrs before she goes back to sleep! and its really tedious.. but the only method that really works for us is to co sleep... she was sleeping in her cot back then and always wanted to be carried over to our bed so i started co sleeping (removed one side of her cot and joined to ours so she sleeps in her cot but she has free access to us anytime she wants to) and it worked out great! she would wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and just crawl towards me and fall back asleep beside me or on my chest without crying or milk.. but still, she haven given up her 5.30am morning feed...
|

replied April 2nd, 2010
To anju001
To:anju001

are you sure your mum wasnt joking with that routine??!!! not practical at all.
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
Dont worry that is the exact! same situation as me. the nap time is the same my son goes to sleep at 10 or later and wakes up at 8, he also takes a late nap aroung 4 or 5. Its annoying i feel tired but i love my son and i just hope it gets better. i think we should try to feed our kids more during the day and play with them all the time.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply