Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Numbness in arm and hand after sleep

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
User Profile
Lately, I have been experiencing intense numbness in my left arm and hand when I wake up in the mornings(every morning). It is similar to when your hand or arm falls asleep, but much much more prominent and long-lasting. Occurs slightly during the day sometimes but is worse in the mornings and mainly in left arm and hand.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2008
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A3586
Numbness in the arms (or hands) in the morning is frequently due to the pressure your body creates on the arm during sleep. Prolonged pressure on the nerves of the arm usually cause temporary nerve dysfunction that can manifest with numbness, pain, tingling or paresis. This is a banal but also very common reason for your symptoms.

Other causes for a numb hand or arm could include various neuropathies due to a number of disorders (that are not typical for your age in their early twenties). Nonetheless, you can consult a neurologist to identify the real cause for your symptoms.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.