Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

length of menopause after hysterectomy

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
do you take meds for it? I had a hysterectomy at the age of 22 and took meds for a little while but the risk of breast cancer is to great. Now at the age of 41 it seems like I still have some symptoms like hot flashes, night sweats, moodiness, and such. Is it just me or is this normal for some women that this many years have passed and still feel this stuff? What do you take for it and should I have a bone density test done?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mrs_jenjen
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2008
I'm 54 with a total hysterectomy 20 years ago. I still deal with menopause symptoms like you describe. It must have been difficult to have a hysterectomy at 22. I've been through the gamut of hrt. I moved to AZ and in finding a new gyn, found a doctor going through menopause. She does bioidentical hormone pellets (and has them herself). They are implanted in my hip and last 3-4 months. They are the best! I get estrogen and testosterone. My body only uses what it needs and they are closest to what we make naturally. My life has changed drastically for the better with regards to menopause and libido. Almost like being on newlyweds again! I hopefully will have these till I die!
|

replied March 17th, 2008
Hey, having a hysterectomy that early ad it ups and downs for sure. The bad being that I felt like I was wwaayyyy older because of going through menopause so early. The good being that I didn't have a period anymore...lol. But after about a month I wished I still had the period!! All the moodiness, hot flashes, and etc. The symptoms have calmed down alot but they are still aggrevating. I'm going to check around and see if any of the gyn's around here offer what you're talking about. I'll you know!!!
|

replied March 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
That is not uncommon at all. Everyone is different in the sense of the leangth of time. I had a partial hyst at the age of 31 and my GYN did not take my overies due to the fact he did not want me to go into early menapause. I finally started around the age of 40 and it lasted about 10 years or so. I remember having such hot flashes I had to go into the deep freezer at work to cool down. NO LIE.......I had no night sweats though. I was very lucky, I really did'nt have to many bad mood swings. But, yes I did have many of them. You have to realize your hormones are changing now and your body and mind are going to feel it. I did not take any meds myself. I felt I wanted to go through it for the same reasons. I did'nt have it that bad. It was the hot flashes that I could not handle.

Carrie
|

replied September 27th, 2008
Hi there
I am 31 and had a total hyst. 5 days ago. What are some of the things I can expect other than hot flashes. I have been having them for the last few years anyway. every since I had one of my ovaries and tubes removed due to a cyst. They have recentlly been getting worse because apparentlly I had a tumor the size of my Dr.s fist on my ovary and it had pretty much consumed it. so it wasn't producing enough hormones to begin with, hence Hot Flashes. so anyway what other fabulous stuff can i expect. My main concern is weight gain. Do I need to use the creams and supplements and will everything eventually get back to normal ?
|

replied January 19th, 2009
length of menopuse
I had my complete hysterectomy 13 years ago.I stayed on HRT for 7 years.After learning all the side effects I took myself off completely.Nothing bothers me as much as the night sweats and memory loss.The night sweats have changed from mild to severe.I get so aggravated when I can't think of the word I want to say, and names.My organization skills have gotten worse as well.I have read and researched a great deal, but what to choose???Synthetic HRT's are not a option for me.Most of the natural supplements are for those whom still have one or both ovaries.
|

replied June 12th, 2009
No Post Hysterectomy HRT for 20 years
I had a total hysterectomy at 40, I am 59.5 years now. I took premarin for about 6 months or less after and stopped it myself because of the 'pregnant horse urine' animal cruelty aspect of the drug. During the years I tried Soy products and herbs, but soy is poison and I am at war with it, Soy. I now have high blood pressure. I am either allergic or just oversensitive to at least 7 BP meds and suffered dearly for 15 months of killer leg cramps and foot pain. I've stopped using the BP meds & am using a fluid pill & bioidentical progesterone cream. Its been 11 days and my resting BP is 133 and thru the day can reach 165. And thats almost the same as when I took meds. I'm praying that in a few weeks I will have leveled off. I'm postmenapausal & my dr. said because I had no HRT I DO have heart disease. I'd never heard of bio's until last year. I read that bio's were for the rich. That being said, not being rich, I was never offered the option. However I have the option NOW & have great expectations. Wish me luck!! & Good Luck to Ya'll!!
|

replied June 12th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I wish you luck...I had premarin from age 47 to near four years ago...The only thing I am on now is Estring...Take care....

Caroline
|

replied April 21st, 2011
I had a hysterectomy done 13years ago at 34 and I was put on hrt could I now be getting new symptoms of menopause for example mood swings,weepy,bad headaches and forgetten things to name a few.
|

replied April 21st, 2011
I had a hysterectomy done 13years ago at 34 and I was put on hrt could I now be getting new symptoms of menopause for example mood swings,weepy,bad headaches and forgetten things to name a few.
|

replied March 12th, 2013
Hysterectomy
I had a complete hysterectomy at 41,I'm 45 now I have been on the evamist spray but I'm having really bad heated flashes I feel mad a lot also only weighed 127 when had it done now I'm at 175
|

replied March 12th, 2013
Hysterectomy
proudmum1 wrote:
my family dr was telling me today that you don't go thru menopause after a complete hysterectomy but the obgyn dr said that you do when I had mine done all I know is I'm more confused today than I was 4 yrs ago I have to find a dr and talk to about this I pick up weight I have hot flashes ii am very ill and have Not wanted to have sex in the last 4 yrs
|

replied April 5th, 2014
Progesteril has been the best natural way of giving me back my emotional balance since having a complete hysterectomy last year. I wanted an all natural approach to fighting the symptoms of menopause. This cream has helped me tremendously. I am not as irritable and the mood swings are almost non-existent now. I highly recommend Progesteril.
|