Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

milk production

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
hi everyone, im having a problem breastfeeding, i had a steady strong flow for the first 2 weeks, after 6 weeks i had to go back to school, and now its dropped down dramatically to where i can only feed my son 2 times a week!!

how can i get my milk supply back up before it stops making any milk at all????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Community Volunteer
The secret is to keep doing it. You cannot take a break even for one feeding. If you are away from your baby, you need to pump when he would normally eat or every two hours for about 30 minute pumping sessions at a time.

Stress can also lower your milk production. There are teas that are supposed to help increase it, and you can get them at your local health food store. Drinking moderate amounts of beer (not the cheap kind, try imports) also helps because of the grain and iron content, and it helps you relax enough to make milk as well.

The important thing is that your baby gets enough to eat. If you can't make enough milk, don't be ashamed. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone. Even feeding a couple times a week is good for him, and switching to formula because you have to isn't something you should feel guilty for. Give yourself a pat on the back for giving it a try if it doesn't work out in the end.
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Beer actually makes sence that way. But of course be sure it's wore off before you feed/pump. I think like 2-3 hours.
|

replied February 24th, 2008
Experienced User
Take the herbal pill called Fenugreek. It helped me...
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
mominashoe wrote:
The secret is to keep doing it. You cannot take a break even for one feeding. If you are away from your baby, you need to pump when he would normally eat or every two hours for about 30 minute pumping sessions at a time.

Stress can also lower your milk production. There are teas that are supposed to help increase it, and you can get them at your local health food store. Drinking moderate amounts of beer (not the cheap kind, try imports) also helps because of the grain and iron content, and it helps you relax enough to make milk as well.

The important thing is that your baby gets enough to eat. If you can't make enough milk, don't be ashamed. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone. Even feeding a couple times a week is good for him, and switching to formula because you have to isn't something you should feel guilty for. Give yourself a pat on the back for giving it a try if it doesn't work out in the end.

I didn't know about the beer thing. Great! I sometimes have a problem with milk production as well. I will try this. I love important beers.
|