Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

bladder problems post c-section

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
I'm at my wits end.. please any advice appreciated!

I had my second child by c-section 4 months ago. It was my second c-section but this time was planned. I have long history of UTI's but don't get them that often but only from time to time. I had no problems after my first c-section but this time it's been hell! they cut a new scar as they said the old scar was too small.

My c-section wound has not healed well and even now 4 months on it's still bleeding although i've been on at least 5 courses of antibotics.. i'm using maluka honey now so hopefully that will help.

Since my c-section I've had, what I thought was cystitus.. but it just won't go away. many many courses of antibitics, urine tests (which sometimes showed cystitus but mostly came back inconclusive), ural sashays you drink and lots of cranberry juice and tables made no differences it it. It just will not go away! It's a burning, needing to pee all the time (busting to pee really). I feel horrible, sick and run down when it's bad. I can feel it coming on and actualy i'm starting to notice that when i'm consipated every 3 or 4 days into th week it starts up then. mostly it oddly appears with regularity at 2pm in the afternoon and goes through till 9pm when it disapears. when it's bad, like it is today, it starts very early in the morning and wakes me up and goes all day - i can't move for fear of peeing myself and feel so bad i can't move most of the day at all but just want to sit still so i don't pee myself.

last dr I saw said it was just an irritation in the bladder from the surgery and it would go away with time. One dr mentioned something about the bladder accidentaly being nicked or cut during surgery and other said something about the bowel pressing against the bladder or something protroding into the bladder (which would explain the constipation connection). I just don't know what to do. last dr at the hospital was more concerned with my c-section scar and getting it to heal with the honey etc.. but i just can't get any answer or help re the bladder problem. I can't go on like this. I have two small children under 3 to care for and don't have time to feel like this.. please any advice (please don't say cranberry juice it just doesn't make any difference).
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pjr
|

replied January 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds like you need to have a cysto done to look into the bladder and see what is happening there. Have any doctors recommended doing this?

Have you tried a urologist for a fresh look at what is going on?
I know it's tough with little ones to keep going to doctors and feeling lousy, I wish I had an easy answer for you.
|

replied January 30th, 2008
what's a cysto done? I keep telling the dr's and even the surgen on monday i mentioned the bladder problem again but they said it's normal to have some irritation etc.. i have to go back again in 3 weeks so will demand to see a urologist then if it's still going - which i fully expect.
|

replied January 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi

A cysto is a cytoscopy which is when they look into the bladder going in through the urethra with a small scope to view the bladder, ureter tubes and sometimes inject a dye which can give them views of the kidneys also using an x-ray machine to take pictures during this procedure. Some also call is a ureteroscope.

Have they tried you on medication such as Ditropan?
Have they mention the possibility of IC (Interstitial cystitis) which is a painful bladder syndrome?
|

replied December 30th, 2009
Honestly, I'm no medical expert but no, it's not normal to be like that after a c-section. You have one yourself before and it wasn't like that. My wife had one in January 09 and she's perfectly fine now. Yes, I guess a urologist might take more notice than your general practitioner or a gynaecologist. I was present at our child's birth and yes, they do mess around with organs near the uterus during a c-section because they have to get to the uterus to get the baby out but my advice would be to go to a urologist and, if need be, to request your medical records from the operation.

Best of luck, hun.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
help
im having the exact same problems. its been 3 months since my csection. my 1st csection was perfect. this time around is a nitemare! i have a constant dull pain in my pelvis region where my bladder is. i always feel like a have a horrible uti. i leak and i always feel a stinging sensation. i had a cysto done and the urologist said my bladder wall was inflamed and just to give it time. my obgyn kept blowing me off saying i'll be fine. well im not fine and i dont have time with 2 little ones at home. my family dr is treating me for this and said that its not normal. im taking pain pills which help numb it so i can get on with my life. but they dont help w the leaking. im seriously thinking about suing my obgyn bc ive gotton the run around from him since day one.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
I still have bladder issues from my c-section n that's almost been two years ago.. they say physical therapy helps but just get advice from 3-4 doctors and take the advice you get the most.. you can not trust one person's opinion because they are simply human also.. have a good day.
|

replied July 28th, 2010
Csection and UTI
Thank you for posting. I also have recurrent UTIs; it's driving me crazy, so I totally feel for you. I have kidney disease too so I freak out about it. One dr. told me take vitamin c twice a day and drink cranberry juice. Anne Marie Colbin in Foods that Heal based on Chinese medicine, mentions dairy foods as implicated in female infections...So I'm experimenting with cutting out dairy. I felt much better (and was thinner too) when I was sort of "macrobiotic" (lots of veggies and brown rice) and didn't eat junk food. Diet affects health majorly. Also, I bought probiotics at the health food store since apparently more good bacteria can crowd out bad bacteria, and antibiotics kill bad AND good bacteria which live in our guts (and I've taken sooo many antibiotics). I had a Csection 7 years ago, and am having recurrent infections. One urologist said that it's interstitial (sp?) cystitis, (basically a chronic condition in my head). Well, it wasn't Thank G-d: antibiotics made it better, and another urologist said I did not have cystitis. I suspected the Csection might have something to do with it, and am looking into it. Csections if not medically necessary, are wrong and more dangerous than vaginal birth. I had VBAC thank G-d. I urge any women out there to try for VBAC, it's MUCH better than surgical birth- look for a good dr who has faith and humility and experience.. You can do the research, but we found it's better to wait a couple years til the next pregnancy to give the scar time to heal. Thanks to the poster about getting surgical records. I'm going to try to do that. Maybe there's a record of my bladder being damaged in the surgery. It's really hard, I know. The UTIs keep me up and even when I'm on antibiotics it flares up and goes away...so weird. Another thing I do is sleep on my stomach to put pressure on the bladder and I sleep with heating pad recommended but be careful not to hurt yourself. One urologist also said do kegels...I don't know why that would help...I hope my post helps someone like all the posts here and doing research is helping me.
|

replied July 28th, 2010
Hi there,
I was reading your post and I really recongnised on the lines what my experience in UTI'S was. I have been suffering cystitis since I was 20 and now I'm 37. I have been visited by many doctors and urologists and some of them told me that I had even psychological problems. They did not understand the real nature of my pains and what's more to find out the main reason of such pains.
I took kgs of antibiotics which during the course of the years only damaged my health and weakened my immune system.
It was just 6 months ago that I made a research on my own on the web and I found a very good natural product which changed my life and also my day life. It's a product made of D-Mannose+ Morinda Citrifolia and the most important thing is that it's getting a positive effectiveness on my disease which I had never dreamt of.
I am buying this product in United Kingdom but I know the distributor is also exporting their products out of European community if you were to live not in Europe.

At this stage I wished to share my happiness in saying that urinary tract infections have not only to be cured with a particular mediterrenean diet but we have to implement it with this natural product.
Bacteria do get resistant to antibiotics and so they are not working anymore during the years. But it does not mean that we are getting chronic in the problem. We have only to find out the right way to get rid of these terrible pains and now we can.

keep in touch
|

replied July 29th, 2010
It's been 8 1/2 months since my c- section. And I have to pee all the time, i'm loosing sleep over it, I feel the urge all the time, and pressure like my bladder is really full but when I go its hardly anything. I don't know what to do, I am starting to get anxiety about it. Its not a UTI what is it how do I fix it?
|

replied October 16th, 2010
My bladder was cut during my second c-section. I was discharged from the hospital with no sensation to pee-pee came out of me like when your water breaks. I had blood in my urine bag for days and excruciating pain the first night. I had had a prior C-section so I knew this all wasn't normal but they insisted it was. It's amazing we don't follow our guts and get intimidated by medical professionals. After many phone calls, I finally got in to see the Dr. She did an internal and felt the hole in my bladder. It was now a month after I had my son. I was peeing out of control- no sensation the whole time. To make a very long story short-or shorter, I had surgery in September- 3 months later- had a catheter for 3 weeks and now I'm completely fine. I'm just SO angry at myself for not getting these doctors to listen to me and I should not have even been discharged- all of the signs were there of this fistula- or cut in the bladder. The pee was coming out of my vagina instead of my urethra,that's why I had no sensation. PLEASE go see a urogynocologist if you can or a urologist and have them look in your bladder. If you think there is something wrong, there probably is. GOOD LUCK!
|

replied December 7th, 2010
Bladder Cut with Csection
I had my bladder cut with my csection 4 months ago. I still have bladder pain. I was doing research online and I believe I have Interstitial Cystitis. It is an irritation of the bladder walls due to diet and stress to the bladder. Go to the Interstitial Cystitis Network and stop drinking cranberry juice! It is one of the top irritants of IC. I am lucky that my IC is minor compared to other stories I have heard, but I am only 29 and was very athletic before this. My body will never be the same Sad My baby is perfect though and that's all that really matters!
|

replied December 7th, 2010
Bladder Cut with Csection
I had my bladder cut with my csection 4 months ago. I still have bladder pain. I was doing research online and I believe I have Interstitial Cystitis. It is an irritation of the bladder walls due to diet and stress to the bladder. Go to the Interstitial Cystitis Network and stop drinking cranberry juice! It is one of the top irritants of IC. I am lucky that my IC is minor compared to other stories I have heard, but I am only 29 and was very athletic before this. My body will never be the same Sad My baby is perfect though and that's all that really matters!
|

replied December 30th, 2010
I hate that everyone up here has these problems but it is so good to know I am not the only one!! Since my last c section (2nd, both planned) 19 months ago I feel like I have to pee ALL THE TIME. I feel like I spent 90% of my time in the bathroom thinking about niagra falls so I can get out three drops of pee just to go right back to the bathroom and wait for another 5 min for more pee. It is so aggravating. So far the only diagnosis I have got has been "bladder damage/trauma" and they say to live with it, which I refuse to do. I dont have a UTI and there is no pain or blood, just pressure and no enough pee or hours in the day to wait for the pee!
|

replied January 30th, 2011
well sorry for my english..Im not an american citzen..

can u get bladder problem from your family that have a bladder cancer history?

Our family have some sickness related to bladder. My mother, when she was a teenager she got a tumour that cause to operation. My sister have a UTI. She admit to hospital not just once but always because of her UTI. I am afraid if I have some too. And I know that this are some cause of Bladder Cancer. I have a family history about bladder cancer and I am afraid if I got one too Sad

So tired looking and surfing the net..my eyes is acheng...I decided to buy a book online about bladder cancer. But I want book that is really helpfull to me.... And found lots of book.. I cant choose one.. Just want to be aware of this family bladder problem.......

help me find one here plz..
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Has anybody found any treatment that has worked?
I have the same type of things happening.
|

replied August 15th, 2012
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I had my second c-section two and a half weeks ago and the recovery so far has been better, but I cannot pee. I can go and sit down, but I really have to push and strain to get it to come out and then I don't feel like its emptying completely. I'm not one to have urination problems either. I've always been able to go with regularity. I have an post partum appointment in two days and I'm hoping to get some relief soon! Has anyone had relief with cranberry, or is this going to be something that a doctor is going to have to treat?
|

replied October 28th, 2012
WORST bladder pain after c section
I have had UTIs since i was a child. I have had several doctors and a urologist do several tests. So far, nothing has helped and sadly I've learn to just live with it. I had my second child 5 1/2 weeks ago by C section. This was my first C section and everything was going great after and i healed well. Until this week or so. I got antibiotics because I tested positive for UTI and it went away then came back 2 days after I finished my antibiotics ! Now it's the WORST one I have ever had.. all the symptoms but now I have pains in my bladder or uterus(cant really tell) and a little bit of discharge. I went to a after hours clinc because it was the weekend and I literally did not sleep til 8:00AM because of the pain! the doctor wouldn't even try to help me cuz the AZO pills turned my urine orange and so it interfered with his test. After this I'm about fed up with doctors, I feel like non of them want to actually try to find the problem and fix it! I don't know what else to do!
|

replied August 4th, 2013
I have had frequent urination after my csection for five years I've gone to numerous doctors and emergency rooms and doctors still can't tell my what's wrong, went to urologist two years ago and he told me that my bladder had a dent in it I was able to view this from the ultra sound he also said that I have over active bladder and prescribed me oxtrol patch form this helps very little seems like my health is getting worse im not sure what took place five years ago but i no in my heat that something went wrong please! please! someone what should i do.
|

replied September 22nd, 2013
Hi has anyone found out what's been causing these symptoms??? Murry my symptom are EXACTLY the same as yours, did u find out what it was, have your symptoms improved? I can't go on like this...
|