Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

accuracy of bone marrow tests

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Hi

I am usually on a few other boards but now I am finding myself coming here.
I am going to be having a bone marrow test. I will admit I am scared which is out the norm for me as I am the one to support and hold it together for others. I've putting up a brave front with my family but to be honest I am terrified. I have only told a few people in the family about the test as I will be sore for a little while after it is done, I thought they should know why I am hurting. scared
I have an extremely long and complicated medical history.

What am I going to be in for with the test?
How accurate are bone marrow tests?

Any and All information is much appreciated, feel free to pm me also if you'd like to.
Thanks... Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi!
Bone marrow test can include both, biopsy sample and an aspirate of liquid bone marrow, usually from the hip bone.
First, you'll experience a sharp stinging from the anesthetic injection, then the aspirate needle inserted into the bone and the aspirate withdrawal, may cause a sharp pain.
The biopsy needle may also produce a brief pain, usually more dull.
After the test, your hip may ache for a couple of days.

When is your test day and for which condition you are suspected?
|

replied February 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for the reply Smile

I was told about the pain even up to a week I can experience pain they said. I don't heal well, it takes me longer than the "normal" person.

My test is next week as for what condition they are looking for it was quite stated. They have been checking for me a lot of things. I have fatigue, low WBC, weight loss, some mild petechiae going on with my thighs.
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
That's true. Probably, you'll experience a pain for a week and may need some mild painkillers to take home or your doctor may suggest you to take some paracetamol.
If you want you can prepare yourself before testing by taking some sedative (consult your doctor first) so you can be a bit drowsy and calm.
If you take sedative you'll need to stay at the hospital until it is worn off and also, you'll need someone with you not to go home alone.
However, it's very important to have someone to hold your hand during the procedure.
|

replied February 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for the information.
Is paracetamol an anti inflammatory medication? If it is I can not take those drugs.
I am on pain med's for other problems so those should do.

I am very scared Sad my family knows I am having this done but they don't how scared I am.
|

replied February 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi
I thought I 'd check in and let you know I had my bone marrow test today.
We won't know for a couple of weeks the results. Although my WBC dropped even more again..Sad

The test wasn't as bad as many people make it out to be. The discomfort afterwords is another story but it's manageable!!!
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, butterfly6169!
Sorry I couldn't wright to you earlier.
I'm happy you didn't had such a bad experience with the test.
First about paracetamol. Yes, it has anti inflammatory properties, but, for that purpose is usually used with dosages of additional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
It's a major ingredient of Tylenol.
Usually, it takes time for results to come through, because cells from the bone marrow sample need to be stained with different staining techniques (takes a couple of days) and examined under a microscope.
Have you been performed other tests, too?
|

replied February 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
What do you mean by performed other tests???

I have been tested with CT Scans, MRI's, etc.. over my entire lifetime due to my kidneys.

I am having more pain today from the site of the marrow test.
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Tests like chest x-ray, ultrasound of liver and spleen, DNA analysis.
What kind of painkillers you are taking?
|

replied February 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I've had a lot of testing done on all parts of my body and I am still getting tested with scans., which I know to many of these tests are no good either due to the radiation involved. I take hydrocodone for pain. I am allergic to a lot of medications including steroids and I can not take non steroidal (N'saids).

If you don't mind me asking do you have a form of cancer?
I'm still sore at the site of the test.
How are you?
|

replied February 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Good News and Bad News.
The good news no sign of leukemia, the bad news we are still unsure why my blood counts are so whacked out.
I will be getting more test done and possibly another marrow test down the road.
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, butterfly6169!
I'm happy that there wasn't a sign of leukemia, but, I guess waiting for the right answer is a hard time.
Do you already know the date of examinations?
I'm not a cancer sufferer,but, I wanna be here, helpful I hope, for all of them.
Thinking of you!
Writing you a pm back very soon!
Marija
|

replied March 14th, 2008
bone marrow test
Just curios did they check your bone marrow for myeloma cancer?
|

replied March 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi Mariji

They are still running tests. It's so wonderful to be here for everyone.
Great news that you do not have cancer.

Thanks

tagget

They didn't tell me what type of cancer they were looking for. I believe they run all kinds of tests for different cancers with the bone marrow. It also shows deficiencies within the body.
|

replied March 10th, 2009
bone marrow biopsy
my dad just had a biopsy 1 week ago and he said that it felt like a bee sting. He said his hip hurt a little for a couple of days but it was no big deal. hope this is helpful.
|

replied May 13th, 2012
Bone marrow biopsy
I had a bone marrow biopsy. Please don't scare people. It is nothing to fear. The doctor told me that they are now drugging people prior to it so people will relax and they stay still for a better sample. It is painless when they are doing the procedure and a little bit sore afterward - almost like someone hit you on your hip. Hardly anything to fear. Just pray for a good result Smile
|