Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

toddler who takes phinobarbitone, epilim and tegretol

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Hi,

My 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with Epilepsy since she was 3 months old. She has tried a variety of meds and now she is on phinobarbitone, epilim and tegretol. The doctor just changed to this new concoction after the last meds failed and she had fits again. She only gets fits when she is ill, runny nose, fever etc. I was wandering if anyone knows if this concoction of meds is advisable as I had read before that some of the meds cancel of one another like epilim and lamictal. Any onformation will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 7th, 2008
medication
hi i have nerer heard of drugs canceling one another out, but i think the combination of meds all depends on the type of seizures. we have found with our daughter as she gets older there seems to be more of a range of newer drugs available to her and less combinations are needed. i think it is harder to stablize young children because they grow so fast.
|

replied April 27th, 2008
My personal opinion is that is one concoction that even the best doctors and researchers won't know how it is going to harm your daughter. It isn't advisable by many in the business of total health care to be on that many neuro drugs at once.

Have you considered nutritional changes?

My daughters seizures have been greatly reduced by neurofeedback, nutritional changes, and very well researched vitamins and minerals.
|

replied July 21st, 2008
Hello Hermeet I was just reading the message board and wondered how your daughter was going, are the meds working for her? and how are you coping?
I also would like to ask RobinN about nutritional changes. I have been thinging about diet for our 4yr old daugther (with development delay) but not sure how easy that would be, any thoughts would be appreciated.

jolee10
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
I began immediately with a gluten free, casein free, corn free, and soy free diet. Those are the four top allergens to the human body. It wasn't easy at first but once I got into the swing of things and read all of the labels it became easier. I still am tweaking the changes, as I find out something about a product that pulls it off of my shelf.

Going to the store with the attitude that we were going to find a multitude of items that she could eat rather than all the ones that she couldn't eat, left us in a more positive place. But you have to believe that all of this begins with nutrition. You must hit it from there no matter what. All the other therapies won't matter one bit if you can't get the nutritional aspects covered.

There is a great site that dogtorj dot com puts out. He is a vet but he has been able to eliminate the seizures in his pets with diet. He has a section on his site that deals with Epilepsy in humans. It is worth taking the time to read. Also all of the information on Autism that is coming out deals with diet and how it effects the neurological functions, and I have found it also to be helpful. You have to be an advocate for your daughter. Mine stopped speaking at 18 mo. and I am sure it was due to the onslaught of vaccines at the time. She had regression again after her booster shots. She carries heavy metals in her body and I am sure it has created all of her problems.

Nutrition is the easiest place to begin, because you know it is made with love, and that you are doing something really good for you and your family. The drugs are not a positive route to take.
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
Diet and epilepsy.
Thankyou for the information, I have decided to have our daughter tested for allergies and then talk to a dietician, while I agree that diet plays a key role in treating epilepsy I don't feel confident about not using medication to control seizures the risk is too great. I don't think that any parent wants to medicate they have to, epilepsy is so individual we need to look at every aspect and support each other.
thankyou again jolee10.
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
Problem was for us on the four that we tried, there was more seizure activity. There was new and different seizure activity. And there was side effects that were horrendous. I am not saying that diet is the only alternative to look into by any means.
Yet there are so many vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can cause seizure disorders and doctors don't even look that direction. It seems quite foreign to them.
Once the AED is in the system you can't even tell if another alternative is helping or not.
|

replied July 23rd, 2008
I agree with you. I would just find it so hard to get from A-B. We tried many different
meds before topamax and I'm scared to risk G having seizures again. I am going to do some more research into this and welcome any information any has on this subject. p.s has anyone found iridology useful in treating epilepsy?
|

replied March 25th, 2009
hi
it says on the package leaflet under the heading taking Epilim with other medicines
That Epilim affects the way some other medicines work or that other medicine can affect the way Epilim works
they also give you a list of Medication.
my daughter is two and i am having a bad time with and her mood swings is any experiencing this with their kids who is on Epilim ????
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Hi my 8 year old daughter has been diagnosed with epilepsy
and she has all sorts of other problems too(adhd,ASD)I'm still not 100 percent sure if it is epilepsy the doctors just cant explain whats happening with her so they just stuck the epilepsy tag on her and gave her epilim to try out.Could someone explain to me whats their childs seizures like,im sorry if this is difficult but it would help me alot to understand.
|
Quick Reply