Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Ears popping and Dizziness!

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I have recently been experiencing dizziness when I stand up. For the past 3 weeks now, when I get up after watching t.v. and what not, I stand up, get real dizzy, my vision goes black for a few seconds, then I slowly start to see again, and feel O.K. It happens almost everytime I stand up now. My ears have been popping whenever I swallow now, for about 5 days I would say. It's not a painful pop, just mild. Are these 2 thing related. I'm pretty sure I need to go to the doctor, would just like some info. before I decide. Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 30th, 2008
I think when your vision suddenly goes black, that always warrants a visit to the doctor. Especially if anything that persists for over 3 weeks (gosh, I know too well how that feels like) with no sign of improvement.

If your ears are popping all the time, it sounds like your eustachian tubes (tubes connecting your middle ear to the pharynx) are congested, which would explain the vertigo and blackouts.

You should go see your doctor, but I would highly recommend you not to drive, seeing as you have dizzy spells and blackouts!

Take care.
|
Users who thank Gordon79 for this post: Erica516 

replied February 10th, 2008
see your doctor right away, do not drive yourself, it sounds as if you have a serious middle ear infection, there is fluid in your ears that is how you keep your balance from what you are discribing, i would say that something there is out of wack, i would make a trip to the er, have someone drive you, and you can try graval for the virtigo, but be forwarned that it will probly knock you out
|
Users who thank willowbaby85 for this post: Erica516 

replied February 4th, 2009
Ears popping, Diziness, Vertigo
Hello everyone, I need help, I am DESPERATE!!!!
Nov.2007 I had a vertigo attac that lasted for 2 weeks, I coudn't move at all, the room was spinning around me, pressure in my head, burning feeling, especially around my ears, ears popping when swallow. Since then my life is not the same, I can not ski, dance and do lots of activities that I used to do. After one month I was able to drive and try to have a normal life, not as active as before. I had MRI done, all kind off ear tests done, and all results were normal.
For the past few weeks the ear popping is back every time I swallow, pressure, burning feeling in my head and dizziness. After I wake up I feel a little bit better, but just for a few hours. NOW I am desperate that the vertigo is coming back, it was the worse experience of my life, and I don't know what to do. ANY SUGGESTIONS???
|

replied August 30th, 2009
Hey,
I am just curious about these bouts of dizziness i experience.
They happen randomly and without warning, i can be walking, sitting down whatever, but suddenly i get really dizzy, my vision goes black and my legs feel like they will collapse out from under me.
It only lasts for about 30 seconds at a time and i dont pass out and am still aware of everything around me but it is just very strange.
If anyone recognises this symptom i would be a relief to know what it is, Thanks!
|

replied December 25th, 2009
Vertigo/ vestibular migraines
I had vertigo that knocked me down , It started after a root canal and after a bad cold, it never went away, I was diagnosed with vestibular migraines, i dont get headaches but rather the dizziness. Im currently taking propanaol and it works only a few break through episodes.
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2009
Dizziness:

I've had it because of an ear infection, as part of motion sickness, during an earthquake, swimming underwater in a pool, and when I turn quickly while falling asleep (laying down horizontally).

All of these were normal - except for the ear infection. After treatment, the ear infection dizziness goes away.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
One remedy for vertigo is to lay down on your back on the bed or sofa in such a way that your head hangs over the edge right at your shoulders - breathe and relax. Then slowly turn your head to the right as far as you can and focus on something horizontal to the bed/sofa for 30 seconds then do the same to the left side; repeat a couple of times, then turn over gently and look directly at the floor. Repeat if necessary.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
these are normally quite usual i get these especially in the morning vision goes black and i need to stay still these are very common actually but better go see a doctor anyway if worried as he will have best knowledge on what it is.
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Labyrinthitis
I had severe dizziness last week with the bathroom spinning so fast it was frightening & also made me vomit. It wore off as the day went on but milder dizziness still hits me whenever I move about.
I saw the doctor & she prescribed Prochlorperazine for Labyrinthitis. The dizziness initally subsided although the tablets make me feel very strange & out of sorts. I am on day 2 of the tablets & the dizziness is now returning plus my ears keep popping today, feels as if there is a bubble in each ear & I have to constantly swallow to try & clear it. Should I go back to the doctor?
|

replied October 12th, 2011
muffled hearing
For the past week when I walk up stairs or stand up too quickly, My head goes POP and I can't heaver very well at all, it is muffled but I only feel slightly dizzy for a few seconds but the muffled hearing can take up to 10 minutes to resolve. I don't know what is wrong! Sad
|