Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Depth perception problems

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have read through a number of posts regarding people who do not have "true" depth perception. I have a functional degree of depth perception, however I am unable to pass depth perception tests administrated to me because my eyes are not completely aligned. I am 23-years old, and had surgery to re-align my lazy eye when I was 3-years old. The surgery was successful, as my eyes were re-aligned cosmetically.

Maybe 10 years or more ago my dad showed me a magic eye photo from the news paper and said it was amazing how there is an image within an image. I tried really hard and I could not see anything. It was not a problem to me since I had no idea that my vision was any different from anyone elses. A few years ago I applied to become a police officer (life time dream), and I could not pass the depth perception test. I did not see the fly pop out of the booklet, or which circle out of the five "popped" out at me. I was advised I did not have binocular vision, and it was too late to do anything about it.

I have tried visiting a number of doctors in my area (Ontario, Canada), and I have not heard any good news yet. In conclusion they said if I was not fusing the images as a child, I will never be doing so as an adult. This was really devasting as I did not learn about this until I applied to become an officer. I am involved in a number of sports such as baseball and basketball, and never had any problem with accuracy and judging distances. I have a perfect driving record, and have never experienced any difficulty with judgements in distance.

I am really fustrated, dose anyone know if there are options avalible to me, or is this a dead end road.
Did you find this post helpful?
|