Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

side effects of methyldopa while pregnant (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I was prescribed this medicine for my high blood pressure. I am 13 weeks pregnant and was hesitant about taking it. I took it for 3 weeks and felt nauseous all the time. I had awful stomach upset and all I could think about was puking. I decided to stop taking this medicine yesterday. Has anyone else taken methyldopa and did you have bad side effects too?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mandii
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Please, try to talk with your doctor.
You mustn't stop taking methyldopa without consulting your doctor, because abruptly stopping methyldopa may increase blood pressure and cause unwanted side effects.

Yes, upset stomach and vomiting are side effects of methyldopa.
Methyldopa has not been studied in pregnant women in the first and second trimesters (the first 6 months of pregnancy). Studies in pregnant women during the third trimester (the last 3 months of pregnancy) have not shown that methyldopa causes birth defects or other problems.
However, every medicine taken during first trimester of pregnancy has potential risks for growth and development of the fetus.

When did you discover that you have problems with your blood pressure for the first time?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2008
I stopped talking methyldopa altogether and I feel alot better. My blood pressure spikes sometimes and gets high but mostly it stays about 125/85. I don't think that's too horrible but my doctor insisted I take this nasty medication. I am a very holistic person, I deal with health problems naturally and I am not the type to just take a pill because my doctor said so. I researched it and was appalled that this medication hasn't been studied for use in the first and second trimester. My baby and I am not a guinea pig for my doctor to experiment with. She assured me methyldopa is safe but obviously she has no idea what she is talking about. How can she know if there haven't been studies? I am glad I only took it for a few weeks. I am worried about any harm it has done to my baby.

To answer your question, I discovered I had high blood pressure years ago. It runs in my family, every person has it including my mom, dad, granparents, and aunts.
|

replied April 19th, 2012
Methyldopa 250mg
How true it is...i felt the same way..i just started just few days of taking this Methydopa 250mg for 3 times a day..but didn't feel good and as i did my research it shows that there is some side effects and mostly no known so i prefer staying healthy by following a proper diet than taking this medicine and endangering my unborn child as i am just 12 weeks...all in god's hand anyway....
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I'm happy that you are feeling lot better.
I'm sure I'll act the same if I was in your situation ( cutting off the medicine).
The use of medicine is reasonable when it's more beneficial than harmful (but, you need firm facts for that)
Blood pressure range of 100/70 - 125/85 is generally considered to be a normal, so, keep tracking your blood pressure readings (you can start a diary) and practice good diet, exercise, lower your salt intake and weight.
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2008
Since I changed my diet, my bp has been alot better. I try to eat alot more healthy now, no junkfood, pizza, that kind of stuff. I got a membership at the YMCA here so I will start swimming at least 3 times a week. Hopefully that will help too. The things that gets me is that my dr. told me not to take garlic supplements which have always helped me with high bp. She said the reason I shouldn't take them is because no studies have been done on how it will effect the pregnancy. Then she prescribes me something that no studies have been done on either. I would much rather take something natural that has always helped me than some weird chemical concoction. I'm going to ask her these question at my next appt. I have read that methydopa is generally ok to take during pregnancy, but how does anyone know if no studies have been done on it? It makes no sense.
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Garlic supplements or large amounts of garlic should be avoided during pregnancy due to a possible increased risk of bleeding. In addition, early animal studies suggest that garlic may cause contraction of the uterus. Many tinctures contain high levels of alcohol, and should be avoided during pregnancy.
You can continue to use garlic in amounts usually eaten in food.
Its use can cause only small reductions in blood pressure (<10mmHg).
|

replied February 9th, 2010
Re: side effects of methyldopa while pregnant
I recently had a high blood pressure alert last friday at work. I am 13 weeks pregnant and i do have a history of hbp in my family, that day my bp was 180/120 that was pretty darn high, I went to the dr and she prescribe me the drug called methyldopa it stated to take twice a day, i known that i am the kind of person who does not take any type of drug but my bp was out of control i needed something and something fast, the drug does have me feeling very dizzy and drowsy some days, which i don't like feeling like this at all. So is this drugs safe to take during my pregnancy and during the stages of my baby growth.
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
Methyldopa, Endometriosis cells, Bleeding and brown spotting...
I have a high bp, sometimes up to 150/110. At one time 2 yrs ago it was 170/100. Before 2009, I had normal bp of about 120/85. When I was diagnosed with hbp, I used to be prescribed a different hbp medication, Perindrophil and Semitil (maybe not correctly spelt but it sounds like those two). Because I want to get pregnant, starting March 2011, I was given Methyldope to be taken 2 times a day (dosage of 250mg each tablet). The doctor said, te other 2 drugs are not good for pregnant women. When I went to another doctor, he was surprised I was given Methyldopa, but understood that the other two drugs are not at all for pregnant women (I am not pregnant yet then and until now). I asked what is the implications of Methyldopa. He said it can cause depression. Hence he expected that my Methyldopa will be withdrawn from my prescription immediately after I give birth. I cannot control my hbp and it scared me to get stroke or haemorhage. Yesterday my gynaecologist informed that my pap smear found endometriosis cell. She also said the next step is to get an biopsy in my endometrium. I don't want to think too much about this matter but I need to understand the extent of its danger in having endometriosis cells. I would like to have another baby because I just remarried after being a single mother for more than 15 years. My second and youngest child is 15 years old. Is the endometriosis cells going to make having babies more difficult?
|

Methyldopa, Endometriosis cells, Bleeding and brown spotting...
I have a high bp, sometimes up to 150/110. At one time 2 yrs ago it was 170/100. Before 2009, I had normal bp of about 120/85. When I was diagnosed with hbp, I used to be prescribed a different hbp medication, Perindrophil and Semitil (maybe not correctly spelt but it sounds like those two). Because I want to get pregnant, starting March 2011, I was given Methyldope to be taken 2 times a day (dosage of 250mg each tablet). The doctor said, te other 2 drugs are not good for pregnant women. When I went to another doctor, he was surprised I was given Methyldopa, but understood that the other two drugs are not at all for pregnant women (I am not pregnant yet then and until now). I asked what is the implications of Methyldopa. He said it can cause depression. Hence he expected that my Methyldopa will be withdrawn from my prescription immediately after I give birth. I cannot control my hbp and it scared me to get stroke or haemorhage. Yesterday my gynaecologist informed that my pap smear found endometriosis cell. She also said the next step is to get an biopsy in my endometrium. I don't want to think too much about this matter but I need to understand the extent of its danger in having endometriosis cells. I would like to have another baby because I just remarried after being a single mother for more than 15 years. My second and youngest child is 15 years old. Is the endometriosis cells going to make having babies more difficult?
|

replied March 21st, 2010
is this normal
I am 7 weeks pregnant and I was given methyldopa. I feel horrible. i am tired all the time and I cant function at work. I wake up with headaches and dry mouth.I have stopped taking it and started walking twice a day instead of once. I'm glad I googled this. Great feedback!
|

replied April 19th, 2012
Good to hear..we are namely mum to be so say..No..No.. to medicines...as i was prescribed to take methyldopa 3 times a day..Fuuuuhhhh...but i didn't..healthy diet is all we need....
|

replied April 15th, 2010
methyldopa
i was 6 weeks pregnant and on my 5th week my dr prescribed methyldopa because i suffer from hbp. after a week of comsuming this medication i had to go to the er because my bp was 170/103 and i lost my bby. i still dont know how this could have happened but i am pretty sure it had alot to do with taking this medication. who really knows how safe it is?
|

replied July 21st, 2012
I had the same thing happen to me...... I'm a firm believer in doing what the doctor says, but I began showing signs of toxemia ( swollen feet, high blood pressure) and my Dr. Put me on methlydopa. Few weeks later (I was about 19 weeks) I go to the doctor to find that my baby's heart had stopped beating. So needless to say I wouldn't trust taking it while pregnant. My vote would be for a change in diet and regular exercise.
|

replied April 29th, 2010
Hi i took methyldopa whilst trying to conceive with my 1st baby, i took it all through my pregnancy and he was perfect, i stayed on the methyldopa for the next 2 yrs and am now 8 wks preg with my scond baby and am continuing with the medicaton, the hospital kept a close eye on the growth of my 1st baby regular scans weekly bp checks and i have been refered for this again, hope this helps
|
Users who thank glenlisa for this post: gichane 

replied May 9th, 2011
Future mental or physical development issues??
Great to know, How old are your children now... Have you seen any mental or physical development issues? A baby may look perfect on the outside when born, but I am also concerned about the future development of a child. Thank you for your info....
|

replied January 12th, 2012
I have a 7 year old and took methyldopa while pregnant with her, she's in the top of her class at school and was reading well on her own by age 5.5, I would say she has no adverse effects from the methyldopa. She was a terrible sleeper as an infant in that she startled easily and wouldn't sleep longer than 45 minutes at a time, she outgrew that around age 3, it's hard to say if that can be attributed to medication in pregnancy or not however.
|

replied February 11th, 2012
Hi curious to know why you ask about physical or mental issues. Do you have a child with these issues? I was on metholdopa from the beginning of my pregnancy in 2001. I never had BP issues before. Our little girl had some set backs in the beginning,but has always excelled in school. she has had problems with constipation from the beginning,and now is developing anxiety. Very difficult and frustrating because our our happy little girl who always sparkles is now very sad.
|

replied May 9th, 2011
Future mental or physical development issues??
Great to know, How old are your children now... Have you seen any mental or physical development issues? A baby may look perfect on the outside when born, but I am also concerned about the future development of a child. Thank you for your info....
|

replied May 3rd, 2010
Methyldopa
Hi, I am currently 6 weeks pregnant and after going to a new doctor today I have now been told to take Methyldopa. I was on labetalol for my high blood pressure but apparently it isn''t as safe during pregnancy. I definitely need some type of medication, has anyone got good stories of methyldopa?? HELP ???
|

replied May 16th, 2010
It's funny how dr.'s change there minds my last pregnancy(2008) my dr put me in labetalol cuz was the safest medicine for pregnancy... I had no side effects and my baby girl is super health …I’m pregnant again 15 weeks I was on labetalol until yesterday my new dr. doesn’t think labetalol is safe and put me in this horrible medication methyldopa I’m so tired and I woke up all night long to use the bathroom this morning I notice my urine is pink , I’m dizzy, tired .... I don’t think this medicine is any better than labetalol. I’m going back to labetalol....
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
I am about 3 weeks pregnant and have hpb. The doctor prescribed methyldopa. I have just taken it a few days and I am feeling sleepy all the time. Is this a normal side effect?
|

When I took methyldopa, it made me sleepy but its not a problem because its only for a while and I can still drive (there is warning saying it will make me sleepy). I can still do my work at office. When I take it at night, the sleepy effect helps me to sleep more peacefully.
|

replied June 12th, 2010
Methyl dopa during pregnancy
Hi,
My wife is a 36 week pregnant.. I am writing this msg sitting in hospital with her. she was administered for regular check up & as usual her BP & Sugar was nill till 8th month, & suddenly in the first week of ninth month BP reached to 167/100,
which is dangerous for both baby and mother.. along with that we noticed High in SUGAR during her GTT Test.. our Gynecologist didn't do GTT in the first Trimister that led us to this problem, Normal Sugar test was not helpful because in the result it was always showing as Nill. but GTT gives the correct indication..
we admitted her 5 days back to a hospital for high BP & Sugar.. initially doctor administered one dose of 250mg Methyl dopa after Breakfast - lunch - Dinner.. still the BP was not controlled.. 3 days back she was administered 2dose of 250mg Methyldopa... There is no Sideaffects as such.. now her BP is under control. She has also administered Insulin for Sugar.. which is preffered over any oral drugs because oral drugs may cause side affect to Baby..

I am bit relaxed today.. because her bp & sugar is under control and will be discharged tomorrow..
Her dates are given on July 6, 2010 but doctor says not to wait till the date because "High BP Reduces the size of the baby" She has given some diet to gain the weight of the baby.. hopefully in next 10 days I will be a happy Father..

My sincere suggestion for All pregnant ladies..

- I have done extensive study on this topic after this incidence.

If you have High BP consume lot of tender coconut (Atleast 2 a day) , citrus fruits (Vitamin C) & Exercise regularly.. use limited salt..& no to PICKLES & CHIPS.

Get GTT Test done imdtly to know the sugar level.

Consume lot of Vitamin E rich Fruits & vegetables...
|

replied May 21st, 2012
This was really helpful and reassuring. I have been prescribed methyldopa at 32 week and my bp was only 140/70. I guess they want to be careful, but I am so nervous about taking it.
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Re: methyldopa
LeslieDoll wrote:
i was 6 weeks pregnant and on my 5th week my dr prescribed methyldopa because i suffer from hbp. after a week of comsuming this medication i had to go to the er because my bp was 170/103 and i lost my bby. i still dont know how this could have happened but i am pretty sure it had alot to do with taking this medication. who really knows how safe it is?

I'm sorry for your loss. I've just lost my 2nd and im devastated.Ive been on methyldopa for nearly 2 years now as i was told it was safe to take during pregnancy and i've trusted ny consultant! I just cant help but think that the tablets have caused me to lose both my bbys. I've got 2 healthy boys pre tablets.Both preg stopped at 6 weeks when the heart should start. Im desperate for another bby and get a happy ending but im very scared thst it will just keep happening! Just dont know what to do for the best? Any advise anyone?
|

replied August 18th, 2010
methyldopa during pregnancy
Not yet pregnant but trying my doctor has took me off Lisinopril to go on methyldopa because I do suffer from HBP After reading this Im really worried......what should I do?
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
methyldopa during pregnancy
I have been taking amlodipine besylate tablets 2.5mg up until the day I found out I'm pregnant. I am about 6 weeks pregnant. This is my 3rd child but first with hbp. The medication I have been taken was a category C, which will affect the fetus. The OB/GYN and my regular physician have switched me to Methyldopa 250 mg, which say does not harm the fetus. I am to take it once a day. So far, my hbp have been normal. If I understand it correctly, if you have bhp during pregnancy, and you do not take medication, you can restrict blood going to the baby. HBP makes your veins close up and that will not get the baby the blood supply they need to grow. You might end up with a very small baby. So, if you do have hbp, please take the medication as prescribed by your doctor. You do not want to have premie or even lose your baby. I am being monitored by my OB/GYN every two weeks and my regular physician even 3 months.
|

replied October 31st, 2010
hi,i was 19wks prgnant wth twins, i was addmited because my bp was high the put me on labetalol first then it gave me lots of side effects.vomiting,shortness of breath,dizznes and more and that night my bbys stopped moving.went for the altrsound found bbys heart beat is ok.then next day the bloody hsptal discharge me wth another bp tablet coz the first on gave me side effects which was methyldopa,which i was supposed to be suprvised with the OB/GYN.but forced to go home.went home very sad...my bp was still very high 150.took the tablet next day had my bbys at my home miscage my twins were two cute boys..so plz plz dnt take any of this tables
|

replied November 14th, 2010
OMG! That sounds horrible!!!! Iam also pregnant and taking Methyldopa 2x a day am only about 6 weeks pregnant.
|

replied December 6th, 2010
pregnant and hypertensive, if will not take methyldopa, what other drugs can help?
|
12 >>