Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Depo Provera Bleeding (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
im 18 and got my first depo shot a month ago. my doctor thought it would be a good idea to stop my periods as i am low in iron. But i started bleeding a few days ago and i'm really worried its going to last for ages. I'm hating it. I was previously on the pill and my periods were irregular but only lasted 5 days. has anybody had good experiences with bleeding while on depo? I'm freaking out.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Shotz
|
Users who thank lexiexie for this post: Melanie1994 

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2008
Supporter
i only bled when it was time for my next shot and it was more like spotting. sometimes it causes bleeding and sometimes it causing no bleeding. it could just be your body trying to get use to it. you can call you doctor and ask about it.
visit http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/bcdepo.h tm for some anwsers to you questions.
|

Extremely eHealthy
This will help explain some of what may be going on.

Many women who use DEPO will lose their periods, and this is the most widely known 'side effect'.

Some women will continue to have normal periods, and nothing will seem to happen.

A FEW women will have long term bleeding that does not stop until they stop using depo.

The reason why these women bleed is the exact same reason why women may lose their period. The THINNING of the lining of the uterus will usually stop a womans period, but in some women this thinness will act like an open wound.
|

replied August 3rd, 2013
What do you mean "open wound"? Where does the blood come from?
|

Especially eHealthy
I didn't bleed initially, and then about a month in when my period WOULD have been due, I got spotting for almost two weeks!! It wasn't heavy enough for real pads or tampons so I just wore pantiliners. It did go away, but that's the longest I've ever bled before lol.
|

replied April 9th, 2012
thats exactly what is happening to me did it ever go away?
|

replied November 30th, 2012
Same for me. the day i got on depo i was on my period n it stoped that day. i only spot when it around my "suppose" to have period.
|

replied January 30th, 2008
i have been on my period for 20 days now and i just got my 2nd shot it came down about two weeks before my next shot was due.
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2008
i spotted for WEEKS when i was on it. i only took one cycle of the shot due to the fact i lost like 15 pounds but when i first got it i talked to some other girls that had taken it and they also said that the spotted for like the first 6 months and the next 6 months they had nothing. so you dont have anything to worry about. its just how your body respons to your body thats all.
|

replied February 5th, 2008
I was on the Depo shot for a year and a half, and for most of it I bled about 25 days every month. I'm not sure why I stuck with it anymore, it was like a year-long period. But I do know that some people stop bleeding altogether.
|

replied February 12th, 2008
By the end of the first year of use, typically your period will be extremely light to non-existent. Extended bleeding is very normal in the beginning - I bled for a whole month. By your second or third shot, though, this should stop. For me, I've only had one very slight period since my second shot, which was in January.

Since you're already low on Iron, though, you should start taking a supplement of some kind if your bleeding does continue, just to be careful.
|

replied February 26th, 2009
since my first depo shot i have been bleedng lighty for over 2 months now, have just had my 2nd depo shot hoping it would stop the bleeding, but it has got slighty heavier, its also made me very moody with no energy, but nothing you can do about it really.
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
No more Depo
You can stop using Depo. Do your research young ladies. Depo is not a good alternative for everyone and many women (50%) will bleed everyday as long as the depo is in their system. This method of birth control also leeches the calcium out of your bones reducing bone density and should not be given to anyone that has migraine headaches because your headaches will get worse. Depo may stop bleeding in some women but it will also increase abdominal pain and cramping. Before using Depo, please do your research and make sure that it is the best alternative for you not because a doctor or a friend recommended it.
|

replied June 13th, 2012
DEPO PROVERA AND BIRTH CONTROL PILL AT THE SAME TIME
Hi, I would like to know if starting to take a birth control pill, while I'm under depo provera since a month and a half, is really dangerous and how?
|

replied July 7th, 2009
Say no to depo
I had my first depo shot in the middle of march and it wore off in the end of june. Since then I've been bleeding non stop, very very heavily to where I would bleed through a maxi pad and super plus tampon in less than 30 mins. I'm not able to work or do anything for that matter! i hate it. Every morning I wake up in a puddle of blood. I will never take this shot ever again. I'm very tired all the time and weak. It's been about 3 months and I'm still bleeding very heavily. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I recommend never taking depo.
|

replied March 31st, 2011
It "wore off" by June because it needs to be re-administered every three months.
|

replied March 31st, 2011
It "wore off" by June because it needs to be re-administered every three months.
|

replied September 7th, 2011
This is exactly how i have been. I took my first shot in March and i did not recieve my shot once but since March i have been bleeding non stop sometimes it will lighten up like spotting. I get really frustrated.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
I had the same reaction only it started 1 Week after my first shot. I bled extremely heavily and it stopped my normally active lifestyle. It was horrible. I too bled through a super maxi and super tampon in 35 minutes consistently...for two months! I'm now anemic. I talked with my doctor and she prescribed me mircette birth control pills...its day 4 on the pill and the bleeding is already subsiding. Im only having to wear a regular pad and it is only slightly used after several hours. I hope it continues.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
I had the same reaction only it started 1 Week after my first shot. I bled extremely heavily and it stopped my normally active lifestyle. It was horrible. I too bled through a super maxi and super tampon in 35 minutes consistently...for two months! I'm now anemic. I talked with my doctor and she prescribed me mircette birth control pills...its day 4 on the pill and the bleeding is already subsiding. Im only having to wear a regular pad and it is only slightly used after several hours. I hope it continues.
|

replied July 26th, 2013
Did the bleeding stop on the Mircette pill? I'm in the same boat and my doc prescribed TriNessa and that did not work at all, and basically made the situation worse.
|

replied June 28th, 2012
If you're soaking through 2 pads or more an hour, heck, I'd say 1 pad an hr, it's time to see the doctor. I complained to my obgyn about 2 weeks (and still counting) of nonstop spotting, but she said that's normal. She said what isn't normal is soaking through your pads very quickly ( in under an hour)
|

replied July 11th, 2012
depo injection
I am having the same problem i was on the depo for 3 years an i have been off it for 6 months i have 1 week of no bleeding in a month an the rest of the month is bad bleeding i hate this i feel like i have to go back on just so i wont get my period again an so i can do the things i want to do........
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2009
Supporter
tlm,
i was on the depo for one shot and i had side effects also. i would bleed for 1 1/2 month. i would feel so sick when i am hungry, very fitigue. i had friends and family that have gained a lot of weight from this birth control. i know a lot of people on this site that this shot worked for them, and birth control pills doesnt.
anyway, i just wanted to tell you after the three months was up. i bleed for almost two months, but once i took birth control pills the bleeding stopped in four days. so that's something that you might consider doing.
|

replied September 16th, 2011
Hi which birth control pills did you take to stop the bleeding am also having the same problem.
|

replied July 26th, 2013
Which BC pills did you take... same problem here!!
|

replied January 13th, 2014
i had depo injection once which was on 24th september 2013 and did not have it again but since thne i have been bleeding and which pills i would like to try them i really want my blood to stop.
|

replied August 17th, 2009
Heavy Depo Bleeding
I had my first (and only!) Depo shot in March. It was the worst decision I've ever made. Not long after that, I started bleeding. It also affected my hormonal/mental patterns in the most negative way possible and I've been getting frustrated, emotional, and generally freaked out about the slightest things ever since. I thought I was going insane, but I guess it's just the worst PMS ever.

About every two or three weeks, my bleeding will start to wane a little, and I'll think, "FINALLY, it's almost over!" (WARNING- incoming graphic description.) It's been that older, darker, smellier, more clotted blood for the most part, so it makes me glad when it starts to thin out, but then it picks up again, kind of like my body is just taunting me. And then, about an hour ago, I noticed it was flowing, fresh, bright red blood, as if someone had stabbed me in the gut. It was gushing all over everything and generally just scaring the heck out of me. I had to sit in the shower, rinsing it off and waiting for it slow down before I could even move anywhere. I couldn't stop sobbing- it seemed like the whole thing was starting over without even slowing down to take a breather.

This is after I have been bleeding moderately heavily for FIVE MONTHS STRAIGHT.

The Depo should have worn off three months ago, but the side effects are still going strong. What in the heck am I going to do?
|

replied December 16th, 2011
I was on Depo for less than a year. I never experienced irregular or heavy bleeding that I can recall however, I developed moderate to severe acne which I never had before. Also, I found myself to be very emotional and easily agitated.
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2009
Supporter
my simple doctor put me on the depo know i had dysfunctional uterine bleeding. he knew the depo shot could make me bleed up to a year and i had bleeding problems before the depo.
his reasoning is i shouldve called him so he can give me another shot of hormones to stop me from bleeding (two shots).
can you take birth control pills, after i took them in four days my bleeding stopped.
you also have to figure out if the lining of your uterus had thickened over this ordeal, if it had you may need a d&c. this is a simple surgery when your doctor scrape the lining of your uterus (which stops heavy bleeding).
if you take birthcontrol pills and the bleeding doesnt stop, you may need a d&c.

some women do well with the depo, but i feel as though doctors should warn women of the side effect of this medication. i really dont believe in one hormone birth control.
i m on a combination birth control low dose (estrogen and progestrin hormone) and i m doing fine.
when i was on the depo it killed my love life from me bleeding all the time. i feel like this drug should be taken off the market.
|

replied July 26th, 2013
Which brand pill did you get... HELP on TriNessa and its NOT stopping the bleeding.
|

replied October 26th, 2009
Two weeks after my first (AND LAST!!!)Depo shot I started bleeding. It's been more than a month now and I'm still bleeding every single day. My bleeding pattern has been the same as Kay Linoge's pattern described above. I am gaining weight and feel extremely moody. My headaches are bad and on top of all this, I lost massive amounts of hair for three weeks. Depo is a nightmare....
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
SO i thought i had won the jackpot on depo. My doctor told me that yes there mite be spotting but its mild. I took it late september and i started bleeding 9 days ago. It hasnt stopped!!! After hearing all these very COMMON horror stories im now starting to realize y no one gets pregnant on the shot: because neither u or the person u want to have sex with wants to have sex with u when your uterus is falling out! Ive been using 1 to 2 tampons a day and ive had to turn down guys simply because its embarassing! I will NOT be going back for my second shot and frankly im now terrified on how long this horrible spotting is going to last Sad

Word to the wise ladies: Dont take seasonique either... it does the same thing! U start to spot once again around the 2nd month and it literally (just like the shot) does not go away for 1 to 2 months. The easier part with this one is tho once u stop taking it the spotting will stop after 4 to ten days. Im starting to think all birth controls that alter ur period to a 3 month cycle just screws stuff up entirely...

Th irony of all this is without birth control i would maybe have my period every 2 to 6 months so i chose the depo and seasonique thinking that i wouldnt have to change my lifestyle (because lets face it i figured i was pretty lucky) but instead i have month long periods!!!!!!!!!!!
WHEN WILL IT END!
|

replied November 4th, 2009
depshot
ever since i got my first depo shot, ive been bleeding. It started when my gegular menstrual date was up i bleeded for two weeks then it was spotting every day since after my second menstural period which lasted more than a week then started breakthrough bleeding every day so its nonstop bleeding for me. The bleeding has ruined my relationship. I lost my real love due to this.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
Well it might of been your real love but unfortunately you where not his... I find it stupid for a break up to happen because of this. Just saying...
|

replied November 30th, 2009
side affects of depo?
Ok, In the past I had taken the depo shot after the birth of my third child. After six weeks I didnt have a period at all, so I got the second shot, waiting for my husband to get his vasectomy. Now, almost 12 years later, I am going through a divorce and got the shot,just in case I meet someone, and this time I have now been on my period for three weeks tomorrow, some days light to where I think it is almost over, and then there is comes again in full force. I didnt react the same as the first time and I have no idea when it will end. I dont have migrains or bloating or weight gain, but I am tired of buy pads and tamons by the caseload.
|

replied December 31st, 2009
Yeah I just took the shot a month ago and I just started seeing a little blood, I freaked out and got on the computer. As I read all these comments, man ive been having headaches like no other all the time. Im very moody to with my boyfriend. Im hoping this dont last for months though or i gain anymore weight. I never took birthcontrol cause i was always afraid but after i had 2 abortions i thought i had 2 now i just think women need to think and be safe then none of us would take the shot or pill and that would be one less thing to worry about.
Sorry ladies even though im on the shot, i think any type of birthcontrol is no good.

Thanks for reading, have a great new years
|

replied January 4th, 2010
I have been bleeding (not spotting) continuously for seven straight months on this poison, after only ONE shot of it. It's different for everyone, I know, but I've experienced hell. No hopes to offer. I'm sorry. Sad
|

replied June 20th, 2011
I took the shot once, after my son was born. I was 22 years old. I bled non-stop for a year. It was so frustrating. Now I'm 35 and i think I'm beginning to go through premenopause. I'm wondering if bleeding for so long has anything to do with it. Maybe it had an affect on my hormones, I'm not sure. All I know is that the shot didn't have any positive outcomes.
|

replied January 13th, 2014
i had depo once and its been 3 and half months my bleeding has not stopped i really no how u feel i really want it to stop..
|