Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Medical Marijuana Debate Forum

Marijuana Causes Severe Liver Damage in Patients with Hepatitis

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008 Jan;6(1):69-75.
Influence of cannabis use on severity of hepatitis C disease.
Ishida JH, Peters MG, Jin C, Louie K, Tan V, Bacchetti P, Terrault NA.
CONCLUSIONS: Daily cannabis use is strongly associated with
moderate to severe fibrosis, and HCV-infected individuals should be counseled to reduce or abstain from cannabis use.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper christophnalla
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2008
Community Volunteer
An unlikely ally has been uncovered for Hepatitis C treatment. Interferon and ribavirin treatment is known to inflict severe side effects resulting in low retention rates. While the link is not yet concrete, medical marijuana appears to reduce those side effects, improving a person's chance of completing treatment.

Study: Pot helps cure hepatitis C

Wednesday, September 13, 2007
Tri-Valley Herald Newspaper
By Josh Richman, STAFF WRITER

Medical marijuana users are more likely to finish hepatitis C treatment and so are more likely to be cured, according to a newly published study conducted in San Francisco and Oakland.

Other studies have shown marijuana relieves symptoms, but medical marijuana advocates said this could be the first to show improved cure rates for a life-threatening illness.

The study is by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, and the Oakland-based Organization to Achieve Solutions in Substance Abuse (OASIS). It was published in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. It found marijuana users being treated for HCV three times more likely to have a "sustained virological response," meaning the virus can't be detected six months after treatment ends.

HCV treatment with ribavirin and interferon causes severe side effects, so many patients quit the long regimen too early.

Of 71 HCV patients studied, 21 finished with a sustained
virological response: 12 of the 22 cannabis users and nine of the 49 nonusers.

"(M)odest cannabis use may offer symptomatic and virological benefit to some patients... by helping them maintain adherence to the challenging medication regimen," the study concluded.

Rob Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, D.C., issued a news release touting this as "a landmark study, showing that medical marijuana can literally save lives. Every day that our government continues punishing the sick for using this medicine is literally a crime against humanity."

Posted by Editors at September 18, 2007 05:28 PM
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2014
I have porphyria. There is heavy liver involvement. Liver cancer is most often what kills porphyrics. Nausea etc is an ongoing battle. I have had no adverse effects from using weed.
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Experienced User
i find it amazing to see the discrepancies in research findings--perhaps the key word is modest or moderation which is wise for anything in which u partake. Excessive use in anything is not prudent. PLP__Bobbette
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Bobbette, exactly. A little wine or beer is good for you, too much and its poison. Like oxygen.you get too much you get too high, not enough and your gonna die... hey
|

replied May 14th, 2011
Using Pot for a sick liver.
OMG are you kidding homex? That's insane. I noticed that no ones even mentioned once your GP to prescribe it for you, as we all know your docter doesn't one day say "Hmm, you know, I think I'll write you up perscription for pot". Lol, I don't think so. Once you do ask and get it, it goes into your medical records, if you need a transplant, you won't get it. I know people who died because they smoked it. So I'd think about it seriously.
They have approved drugs that help with your syptoms, I suggest you do that.
|

replied July 18th, 2011
Interferon, ribavarin side effects almost killed me. It's insane to even think there's no medicinal use for cannabis for liver or other diseases. Have you studied the human Endocannabinoid system? Doubt it. And yes, my doctors said "you need this medicine to stay alive-you have wasting syndrome plus Parkinson's disease on top of Hepatitis/necrosis". If this medicine was the ONLY way you could eat and keep it down to live-I think...no, you're mindset has been twisted by misinformation...no one has ever died from straight cannabis use-many ways to ingest without side effects-check your facts before posting...
|
Users who thank KennewickMan for this post: HealthGeek 

replied October 17th, 2011
Stop blaming pot for other drugs and drinks
Isn't the insane thing that the medical establishment decides that someone will die because of something they did in the past? If you say on your ER form that you smoked pot at Woodstock in 1969 and that was the the last time the organization that makes the stats for ER visits will treat it like you smoked that day. If someone drinks two bottles of Jack Daniels and takes one puff from a joint the overdose at the ER will be due to the cannabis, not the Jack.
|

replied April 6th, 2014
There's never been a record of anyone dying from marijuana. There's never been record of a marijuana overdose. Those 'people' that may have passed probably passed due to their own illnesses or medications they were taking as marijuana not once has ever been recorded to have killed a single person due to smoking marijuana all on it's own.
Get your facts right.
|
Users who thank hiimme for this post: HealthGeek 

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2014
That's strange. There are no recorded deaths associated directly with the use of weed.
|

replied January 24th, 2012
I smoke pot heavily for 40 years and legally and potent
My VL is 6 million my liver is 0 fibro with 2 inflam I carried the virus for 37 years.
So get the real facts straight.

He stood up and said the world was round, and they stoned him
|
Users who thank christophnalla for this post: HealthGeek 

HCV and pot
My VL is 6 million my liver is 0 fibro with 2 inflam I carried the virus for 37 years.

|

HCV and pot

|

replied August 18th, 2013
Ive hep c and get no treatment via a doctor. Im genome type 3 have been for a decade. Recently cannabis causes me discomfort but i found its when i smoke a satiba strain over an indica. I have traveled to spain where a liar (afforded comfort due to archaic laws) ripped me off after promising oil to cure my ills. He lied and im sat in a hostel in spain in pain. Please legalise oil.
|