Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Chat Forum

erection during physical exam (Page 1)

Must Read
The penis begins to lengthen during puberty. But just how long and wide will a penis become? When does the penis stop growing? And what is a "normal" penis s...
A penis grows in stages. Read more about when a penis starts and stops growing. And get the facts about penis enlargement. ...
Are you making a crucial mistake when you are measuring your penis? Read on to be sure that your penis measurement technique is correct. ...
i am a 34 year old male and have had my present doctor for over three years. so far i have had three physical exams conducted by her and all have been pretty much the same except for this recent exam. i have always chosen to stay in my boxers and not wear the gown so when it came time for genital exam i removed my shorts as usual and got on table after visual and hernia exam. it was pretty much going as expected (checked my foreskin, shaft, urethra and testicles) until she retracted my foreskin again and told me she was going to check the sensation of the glans. i didnt know what that meant until she started to rub the tip off my penis with her thumb. i became fully errect instantly. i was so embarrassed because i was aroused in front of her and the nurse. and much more to my embarrassment i continued the duration of my physical erect.
is that a normal procedure?
and if so was the point to induce an erection?
and if that is the case what was she looking for?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile marvel
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2008
Supporter
I've never had that done to me before. You should see if you can contact a doctor somehow to see if that's regular protocol.
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2008
Experienced User
Maybe she was just making sure you don't have an ED.
|

replied January 31st, 2008
i called an urologist and he said it is an optional part of the male physical to check for potency, sensitivity of glans, and curvature of penis during erection.
i told him that i went because i was going pee a lot and he said she was probably checking to see if it was a prostate problem by inducing the erection.
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2008
Supporter
Thanks for letting us know. I was under the impression that you had to bring pictures of your erection if needed. I never knew they induced one.
|

replied February 2nd, 2008
Normal in Physical Exams to get erection
It is normal to get an erection during physical exams even if you are fully covered.

This happens to me everytime there is an ECG for example. though your trousers and underwear are OK. The nurses normally experience erection from male examinations, so in some hospitals they have male nurses. But is is very normal for female nurses to observe male erections day-in and day-out.

Your anxiety is natural, but I believe everytime you went for physical exam, the doctor must have felt your erection when you were in boxers.

so my question, is why discomfiture this time.

I would also agree, that erection function test is optionally done - especially
in the presence of female doctors/nurses. But some doctors are very professional
and wish to complete all the necessary tests before they let you go.
|

replied December 19th, 2008
erection during physical exam
I had something similar happen during a physical exam.I was 20-21 yrs old and went in for a physical for a new job.I was led to an exam room and asked to disrobe and told that the nurse would be right in.I don't know about anybody else,but i'd rather be seen half or fully erect than flaccid.I more comfortable being erect infront of someone.So as i was waiting for the nurse i was massaging my privates and as i became fully erect,a male nurse knocked,then opened the door and just as fast closed the door without coming in.Then 30 seconds later a female nurse knocked and came in.She greeted me with a grin and asked me to stand up for her.She then exclaimed,"oh,you already are!" She asked me to sit on the other side of the exam table and asked me a few standard questions,followed by some not so standard questions.Like ,am i sexualy active yet and have i had intercourse yet?I answered yes to both.She asked me to scoot to the edge of the table and proceeded to check my testicles for anything irregular.It seemed more like she was fondling them,but in my mind i was thinking to myself that she's a professional and she's just doing her job.Then without saying a word she started to feel around at the base of my penis,squeezing and pressing.My erection was still standing straight up.She took hold of my erection and pulled it towards her and let it go,slapping against my stomach.She then grasped it and slowly moved it from side to side to see how much travel it had.The she ran her finger down the middle of it a couple of times,by that time i was extremely aroused and beginning to wonder, what she was doing and if she was really supposed to be doing that.Then she grabbed it and slowly stroked it up and down a few times and said,"everything seems to be just perfect here!"Then she had me lay down on the table and she listened to different parts of my chest and stomach with the stethiscope,all the while she would stare at my erection occasionally and i would flex it to get it to stand out from my body on purpose.Then she asked me to sit up on the table as she sat down on one of those stools and began to write something when there was a knock on the door and it was the male nurse.Now he's in the room talking to her and expplains for the next part of the exam the male nurse will be present by law and she performed the same testicle exam all over again,but this time she left my erection alone.So it was years and years before it dawned on me that she was just having a little fun and shouldn't have been stroking me.Now i fantasize about where we could have taken that moment.Has this happened to anybody else?
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
I wish that happened to me.
|

replied April 17th, 2012
man I wished it happened to me for a longer period of time
|

replied April 17th, 2012
man I wished it happened to me for a longer period of time
|

erection during physical exam
I had something similar happen during a physical exam.I was 20-21 yrs old and went in for a physical for a new job.I was led to an exam room and asked to disrobe and told that the nurse would be right in.I don't know about anybody else,but i'd rather be seen half or fully erect than flaccid.I more comfortable being erect infront of someone.So as i was waiting for the nurse i was massaging my privates and as i became fully erect,a male nurse knocked,then opened the door and just as fast closed the door without coming in.Then 30 seconds later a female nurse knocked and came in.She greeted me with a grin and asked me to stand up for her.She then exclaimed,"oh,you already are!" She asked me to sit on the other side of the exam table and asked me a few standard questions,followed by some not so standard questions.Like ,am i sexualy active yet and have i had intercourse yet?I answered yes to both.She asked me to scoot to the edge of the table and proceeded to check my testicles for anything irregular.It seemed more like she was fondling them,but in my mind i was thinking to myself that she's a professional and she's just doing her job.Then without saying a word she started to feel around at the base of my penis,squeezing and pressing.My erection was still standing straight up.She took hold of my erection and pulled it towards her and let it go,slapping against my stomach.She then grasped it and slowly moved it from side to side to see how much travel it had.The she ran her finger down the middle of it a couple of times,by that time i was extremely aroused and beginning to wonder, what she was doing and if she was really supposed to be doing that.Then she grabbed it and slowly stroked it up and down a few times and said,"everything seems to be just perfect here!"Then she had me lay down on the table and she listened to different parts of my chest and stomach with the stethiscope,all the while she would stare at my erection occasionally and i would flex it to get it to stand out from my body on purpose.Then she asked me to sit up on the table as she sat down on one of those stools and began to write something when there was a knock on the door and it was the male nurse.Now he's in the room talking to her and expplains for the next part of the exam the male nurse will be present by law and she performed the same testicle exam all over again,but this time she left my erection alone.So it was years and years before it dawned on me that she was just having a little fun and shouldn't have been stroking me.Now i fantasize about where we could have taken that moment.Has this happened to anybody else?
|

Why not bend over as well?
Yes I sometime wish it was the same when I go to the toilet, I guess we should do the same thing if it happens in the Doc office, bend over.
|

Re: Why not bend over as well?
Anonymous wrote:
Yes I sometime wish it was NOT the same when I go to the toilet, I guess we should do the same thing if it happens in the Doc office, bend over.

Sorry - mistype....and I did not log in...
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
Erection During An Exam
I had a similar experience when I was about 28. When I went in for a physical, the nurse told me to take everything off and put on a paper gown. I put it on with the opening in the front. Anyway, it was another 30 minutes before the male doctor showed up, and by that time, I had already had several erections. The first thing he did was open the gown up so he could listen to my heart and palpate my abdomen, exposing me totally. By the time he had me stand up for the genital exam, I was fully erect. He then said I had some condition where it could affect my sperm count, and did I want to "gather a sample". I told him "no", but now wonder what would have happened if I had said yes. It might have been interesting to "perform" in front of the doctor. Oh well! I'll never know now.
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2009
Experienced User
This is normal
Thisis very normal, dont sweat. There is a lot os stimulus while doing the physical in a young men
|

replied February 13th, 2009
It happens to me every time when the doctor dows the prostate exam. I asked him and he said it happens to a lot of guys including himself and it is very normal. So nothing to worry about.
|

replied February 18th, 2009
wow.
|

replied May 16th, 2009
me too
since about 13 years old i have had an erection at every physical exam since then. doesn't seem to bother my doctor .
|

replied May 25th, 2009
Doctors know all about the human body. A male doctor certainly knows that touching balls or brushing against the glans is going to lead to arousal and erection. A female doctor would know the same thing. I recently had to have minor surgery in the hospital as an outpatient. Afterward there were 3 nurses helping me to get dressed. They stripped off the hospital gown. I sat on the edge of the bed with full view of my genitals. They helped me on with my underwear. Meanwhile I was getting hard. Why 3 nurses? I think they were getting off on the whole thing. I was laughing to myself. I got back at one who was pregnant. I asked her whether it is a boy or girl. She said a boy. I said I hope you are having him circumcised. Embarrassed she answered: "O yes, of course."
|

replied July 28th, 2009
why would you hope for that?! the foreskin is an amazing thing to have. it is how God made us
|

replied February 6th, 2013
i wish i had foreskin too. it is amazing
|

replied March 29th, 2010
it happened to me in front of a female doctor who i ended up having sex with in her room
|

replied May 18th, 2012
Experienced User
why do I not believe this????
|

replied April 14th, 2010
For some reason I have never gotten an erection during a physical. I always think I am going to get one right before the doctor comes in for the exam but i dont. Weird
|

replied May 25th, 2010
If she's a hot doctor, then I would have a huge boner. No worries. Maybe you will get lucky.
|
Quick Reply