Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Medical Marijuana Debate Forum

Death due to smoking pot then driving (Page 1)

In Nashville Indiana today, a man was convicted or a Dec 2004 death of a 2002 local high school graduate who was 20 at the time. The victim was a passanger in the car of the driver who had admitted to smoking marijuana just before driving. The driver crossed into the path of another vehicle, splitting his car into two pieces that landed 80 feet apart. The victim died at the scene. Toxicology tests showed marijuana in his bloodstream.

In another report, according to Billy R Martin of the acnp:

Effect of Cannibinoids on Performance
Cannabinoids affect sensory, psychomotor, and cognitive function. It is, therefore, not surprising that the ability to perform certain tasks is compromised in some individuals after smoking marijuana. There is little dispute that high doses of marijuana can disrupt performance when the task is difficult. Cannabinoid-induced impairment of flying and driving has been documented. As might be expected, the effects of marijuana on performance become more variable as the complexity of the task is simplified and the dose of marijuana is reduced. In a comprehensive review, Chait and Pierri (14) concluded that marijuana, at doses that produce moderate levels of intoxication, can affect a wide range of learned and unlearned behaviors, including simple motor tasks, and more complex psychomotor and cognitive tasks. Their evaluation of the literature indicated that marijuana adversely affected gross and simple motor function (body sway and hand tremor), psychomotor behaviors (rotary pursuit, Digit Symbol Substitution Test, reaction time, accuracy in divided attention tasks, and sustained attention). Heishman et al. (47) indicated that marijuana can impair complex human performance in arithmetic and recall tests up to 24 hours after smoking. Therefore, it is not surprising that motor impairment and diminution of cognition could easily lead to accidents and traffic fatalities, and that abuse of marijuana has been linked to accidents (Cool.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2008
Community Volunteer
People should NEVER drink and drive or smoke pot and drive or take pills and drive or talk on the cell phone and drive or do there make up and drive...this could go on 4 ever! Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied January 29th, 2008
Experienced User
Since pot shows up in the body a month later, this means that people should not drive for a month after smoking weed...
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
backpain1955 wrote:
Since pot shows up in the body a month later, this means that people should not drive for a month after smoking weed...

Now you are just being silly. Prescription drugs stay in your system for months on end also.

Does it feel odd to be starting a thread as algosdoc and then answering yourself as backpain1955? That is schizoid behavior. Maybe between the back pain forums and the Medical marijuana forums you can check out the mental health forums...it couldn't hurt!! baffle

Lots of meds stay in your system for months...lots and lots...does that still make you intoxicated cuz it can be found in residual portions in your hair or blood? Rolling Eyes Of course it doesn't...now you are being ridiculous, algonspain!
PEACE OUT! voices
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 4th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
We're still investigating Algosdoc and backpain right now, so we don't know if they're the same person. We have a policy not to call out "fakes" in public. If you suspect something, send a pm to the Admin.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 4th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
backpain1955 wrote:
Since pot shows up in the body a month later, this means that people should not drive for a month after smoking weed...

Are they HIGH for that whole month? No.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 15th, 2008
Pot will only show up in your body a month later if the person smokes weed every single day. If they only smoke on weekends, it would get out of your system in a week.

I strongly discourage drinking and driving and I don't recommend smoking and driving, but its insane to compare the too together. Drinking compared to smoking is completely different in a driving state. If a regualr pot smoker smoke, per say, one bowl, and then drives, the smoker will most likely drive normally.

Last week my friends and I were driving home. All of my friends were sober except for the driver. He had been smoking marijuana all day long and had smoked weed 5 minutes prior to getting in the car. We got pulled over because his back lights had gone out. It was obvious by his face that he was extremely high, so they gave him a sobriety test (made him walk in a line, made him follow their fingers, etc) and he passed it and they let us go. 10 minutes later we got pulled over for the same thing and again, he passed the sobriety test.

I don't think twice about getting in a car with a driver who is high. Honestly, if the person is a good driver sober, I find them to be a good driver high. I usually refuse to get in the car with someone who is high when I don't think they are good drivers.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I swear, I was just talking about that very subject to a good friend of mine only yesterday! So for you to say that really means a lot to me. I would never get in the car when the driver was drunk ( or want to be driving down the same road with a drunk) but if they have smoked a joint or whatever and they weren't acting ignorant then I would. They always drive the speed limit ( maybe cuz they are a little paranoid), use there blinkers, stay a car length back for every 10 MPH, etc...It just makes since if you have any real knowledge of the subject and experience.But...
Be prepared to get some slack, you and I both, by certain people on these threads but don't be intimidated. Peace and Love,homerx
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 15th, 2008
Yeah, people have gotten upset with me many times because I choose to get in a car with a driver who is high.

The thing is, I don't get in cars with STUPID drivers who are high.

I personally have driven stoned a few times before and although I noticed a differece, driving wasn't any harder. I've actually driven my mother (who is completely against drugs, alcohol, premarital sex, cursing, etc) while I was COMPLETELY blazed and she did not notice. That was also the first time I drove on the highway and she thought I did an awesome job for my first time.

If you actually concentrate and don't act stupid, you drive straight.

Do you know why people get into accidents and die when they drive stoned?
They act stupid and blast the music and dance around in the car and don't pay attention to the road.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Yep, and thats why a lot of people get in accidents period. By acting foolish.Now that you mention it, most people that drive after using pot do turn the music down or off, put on there seat belts, august the mirrors and get prepared to drive, unlike a drunk.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 16th, 2008
homerx wrote:
Yep, and thats why a lot of people get in accidents period. By acting foolish.Now that you mention it, most people that drive after using pot do turn the music down or off, put on there seat belts, august the mirrors and get prepared to drive, unlike a drunk.


yeah thats exactly what my friends do. They always make sure everyone has their seatbelts on, they do everything a cautious driver does.

People who want to act stupid when they smoke and drive are the reason why people are getting hurt and blaming it on marijuana.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Exactly...they don't take personal responsibility...it isn't the marijuana its the person being ignorant..
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
So are you saying that people who are high are just attentive as those who are not high? I really don't think so.

I think that if you are on any sort of drug-- especially one that distorts your perception on things-- you should stay out of the driver seat. Anything else is irresponsible and potentially deadly.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 17th, 2008
Maddie34 wrote:
So are you saying that people who are high are just attentive as those who are not high? I really don't think so.

I think that if you are on any sort of drug-- especially one that distorts your perception on things-- you should stay out of the driver seat. Anything else is irresponsible and potentially deadly.


thats exactly what I'm saying.
I mean, a teenager driving high can drive better than a teenager who is blasting music and just not paying attention or using their cell phone.
An adult driving high can drive better than a teenager.
(for the most part)

Obviously, someone who is smoking is a bit impaired to drive, but it is not as dangerous as most people believe it to be...thats why I hate when people compare drunk driving to stoned driving
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I disagree.

Marijuana affects people differently. For you it may seem like it wouldn’t be a problem, but how about someone else? Don’t say its safe because you or a friend can handle it because that is not covering everyone.

I'm not impressed that they have everyone buckle up and they turn down the radio just to drive high. If being high is the only distraction they can handle then they shouldn't be in the driver's seat. Do they shut off their cell phone every time? I hope the weather is clear. How about other people on the road or even in the car? At least when someone has the radio up they can turn it down when the other typical distractions of driving come up.

I'm not comparing it to being drunk, I'm saying that it lowers your perception on things which makes it potentially unsafe for some and highly unsafe for others. It's a drug, you can't deny that. People who are taking any sort or drug that affects how you see things and how you think should NOT be driving a vehicle.

There are plenty of medications where you are restricted from driving. I don't see why marijuana would or should be any different.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Maddie 34, you make a good point also. Personally, I don't want anyone driving when drunk, high or on pills or on the phone or anything. I think Idgcat5 was just comparing the 2...but it is never a good idea to drive when you are high or drunk or on pills, etc...its never a good idea if you ask me, we were just comparing the 2.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I am way too paranoid to drive high. I have, though, and you've never seen a more cautious driver!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 23rd, 2008
Maddie34 wrote:
I disagree.

Marijuana affects people differently. For you it may seem like it wouldn’t be a problem, but how about someone else? Don’t say its safe because you or a friend can handle it because that is not covering everyone.

I'm not impressed that they have everyone buckle up and they turn down the radio just to drive high. If being high is the only distraction they can handle then they shouldn't be in the driver's seat. Do they shut off their cell phone every time? I hope the weather is clear. How about other people on the road or even in the car? At least when someone has the radio up they can turn it down when the other typical distractions of driving come up.

I'm not comparing it to being drunk, I'm saying that it lowers your perception on things which makes it potentially unsafe for some and highly unsafe for others. It's a drug, you can't deny that. People who are taking any sort or drug that affects how you see things and how you think should NOT be driving a vehicle.

There are plenty of medications where you are restricted from driving. I don't see why marijuana would or should be any different.


I never said it was safe. In my first post on this thread, I stated that I don't recommend that you drive high.

I was clearly stating that driving high is not nearly as dangerous as most people set it out to be.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2008
x-stoner
as a parent, i would say its pretty dumb to drive high, however.... ive NEVER heard of anyone dying because they were stoned-- ive been in a vehical with drunk drivers... NEVER AGAIN!! but (if i still smoked) id pass a joint to the driver.... pot may slow your reaction time, but so does changing the radio station-- it doesnt impair vision like drinking does... the lines dont move, they dont bend-- just be scart and be logical about these things!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Re: x-stoner
little_mama_08 wrote:
as a parent, i would say its pretty dumb to drive high, however.... ive NEVER heard of anyone dying because they were stoned-- ive been in a vehical with drunk drivers... NEVER AGAIN!! but (if i still smoked) id pass a joint to the driver.... pot may slow your reaction time, but so does changing the radio station-- it doesnt impair vision like drinking does... the lines dont move, they dont bend-- just be scart and be logical about these things!

Amen respect
|
Did you find this post helpful?
12 >>