Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidneys different sizes

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
I typed this whole page out, & when I hit ask a question it all disappeared. I don't have the energy to retype it. Basically I wonder what it means when I have a left kidney that mensures 8.5cm & a right that measures 10.2. I have constant discomfort on my left side. This has been going on for some time. The Doctor says that my kidneys are fine, even though a mass showed on a previous ultra sound. Could the new ultra sound be incorrect, being the tech did not even measure the width or thickness. The Doctor reading the report made no mention of the different sizes either. The report does say that I have a 14cc post void residual and there is a small amount of free fluid in the cul-de sac. My research on the internet says that the 8.5cm kidney or less usually indicates irreversable kidney damage. Does anyone know if this is true? Any info would be appreciated I am tired or being in discomfort & tired all the time, not to mention all the other medical problems I am having. Thanks Baffled

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Kidney Conditions Answer A3573
You wrote:

"List of pre-existing conditions: Heart, lungs, headaches, leg cramps at night, tired over all unwell feeling, flank pain, abdominal cramping, bladder problems (new) joint pain, bone pain,
List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: auto accident two years ago, fractured leg still has pain. It took 1 year and a half to heal. Just had lung exrays, results were normal. Blood work Carbon Dioxide slightly high 27, Billirubin slightly high 1.3, according to blood work perimenopause

Current medical status: spirometry test, showed a problem with my lungs. Just completed a heart monitor for 5 weeks waiting for results. Alot of heart palpations"

Having one kidney smaller than the other doesn’t always mean that the kidney is damaged. Smaller kidneys can function as normal as the bigger one and the discrepancy in size is fairly normal. An ultrasound scan can measure the exact kidneys’ dimensions and can visualize some features of their anatomic structure (cortex, medulla and calyx) to indirectly make judgments about the kidney’s function. A better test, however, for evaluating the function of each kidney separately is called an Intra-venous pyelography (IVP). You can consult a nephrologist about this exam and request a visit to the doctor's office.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.