Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

going from depo shot to birth control pill.

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Well I'm a little conserned, I'm stopping my depo shot for health reasons, and I'm switching back to the pill. Rite now I'm trying to decide over seasonal, yazmin or my good ol ortho tri cyclin.

Since me and my boyfriend are in a serious relationship we don't use condoms. And I'm wondering if switching to the pill would change that? Or if I'm at a higher risk of getting prego? Or if I have to worry about the affectiveness of the pill. I'm going to be extra careful by making sure I take my pills at the exact time so I should be ok? Anyone done this type of switch before?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 27th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
No, you should not be at a high risk for becoming pregnant. Just start the new pills during the week you would normally go back in to get your next shot. You can use protection for one week if you want to but you shouldn't have to.
|

replied January 28th, 2008
Experienced User
I also had another concern that came to mind yesterday, I was wondering if its safe to have unprotected sex while on your period? When I switch to the pill and I get my period again I was just wondering If I would be able to without having to worry getting pregnant since everything is coming out so to speak lol

I can't wait to switch to the pill cause I seriously want to lose the weight that I gained while on the depo shot.
|

replied January 28th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It is safe to have sex during the placebo week.

It is NOT safe to have sex during a non-hormone-controlled period unless you are carefully tracking your ovulation.
|

replied January 29th, 2008
Experienced User
Hmm I think that when I get my periods and I'm feeling Randy we.ll just use condoms to be safe lol until I start taking the pills that have
hormones in them
. I think I should be ok
|

Especially eHealthy
You'll be okay anyway, but that's your choice. Protection doesn't change a bit.
|

Experienced User
Oh cool I thought I had to be extra careful during the days that I'm taking the non hormonal pills. Wow I'm gonna love being back on the pill thanks Smile
|

replied March 1st, 2010
im about to be back on the pill. the depo is just way to bad for me, ive had severe mood swings and i cant handle them. and i have had sever cramps
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2010
iv have had 2 depo shots so far in iv enoticed that ive gained a couple pounds and had mood swings here and there and been eating more, my boyfriend even noticed, but im thinking about switching to the pill to see how that s going to effect my body..wat do u think i shouls do?
|

replied May 5th, 2010
I think you should switch back to the pill. because. I am on depo but I am due for my next shot, and i am not getting it because I TOTALLY want off the depo. I am always cramping, got mood swings, and tired all the time, get dizzy sometimes almost feels like i am prego, but i am not. Its just the depo is draining my body I have no energy once so ever. sometimes i do though. I have a 6 month old baby girl now and i need my full energy back.. So i am getting back on the pill. I want my regular period cycle back... Wink
|

replied July 19th, 2010
i'm 16 and my mom is putting me on birth control and she's trying to make me get on the shot. should i talk her into letting me get the pill? which is better?
|

replied August 12th, 2011
?
hey hun i had a question for you i was on the depo since having my daughter which shes 1 and 1/2 now so i have not had a period in a longg time...i just switched back to the pill and im almost finished the first pack and still didint have a period ive been feeling horrible my stomach is just twisting and turning i guess my bodys trying to get back to normal...how long did it take for you to get your period back? and to anyone that wants the depo shot i do nottttt suggest it i was always really angry and tired , i gained weight i lost a lottttt of hair it was a mess and now switching to the pill i just feel so horrible i wanna roll around on the floor crying ....... Sad
|