Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Loss of peristalsis in colon

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Has anyone experienced a loss of peristalsis or is this merely another way to say severe constipation? I recently had a colonoscopy to eliminate cancer or some other obstruction as the cause of this constipation. The procedure came back negative but the surgeon said he had never seen a colon so distended and he didn't know if it would recover. In preparation for the procedure I took 2 phosophosoda preps and a dose of Miralax but they did not clean me out. So now what? Fiber is not a good idea since that will only bulk up my colon even more. Eating fruit and salad for the most part but my appetite isn't much. The pain from the distention is signficant. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 25th, 2008
yes !!!you are me!!
Try Perdium (yellow box)tablets 2 every bedtime or 2 in am and 2 in pm..i know this will help trust me.

there is nothing i have not tried... i also ordered the chiro cleanse tea on the internet recommended by other people like us when it comes in the mail i will try it and let you know
|

replied December 26th, 2012
What is Perdium?
What is the medical name of Perdium? I am unable to locate it online or any info on the net at all.
|

replied February 1st, 2008
I've started colonics
Same problem here. I have started colonics in order to flush toxins, yeast and fecal matter. I've had three this week and I do feel much better. Have many more to go. I can see the actual white yeast that's being flushed.
I also take a yeast and fungas killer twice daily.
Might want to check into it...?
|

replied July 9th, 2008
colon neuropathy
Your symptoms sound very similar to me especially the comment about the colon after your procedure the md made. I had trouble for years after a gallbladder removal. 2 prior GI's called it of course IBS. Every med known for IBS tried with no success. Didn't matter what was eaten but fiber was definitely bad for me as well as vitamins. Miralax packed my colon full and distended me as if I were 3-4 mos pregnant. Colonoscopy started to tell the story. My GI said it was the hardest C-scopy he had ever done and they maxed out the sedatives during the procedure because I kept coming around with abdominal pain during the procedure. I got sent for a barium study and that confirmed my problem. The barium wouldn't come back out of my rectum. The radiology staff/RN said they had never had that happen before where they pulled the enema tube and the barium didn't come out. I saw my films and being a medical person knew right away what they meant. I knew surgery was in my future. Small bowel study was done and came back Ok. But after all the tests were done, MDs said my only option was to have all of my colon except about 6-8 inches removed. My barium study film literally looked as if I had a alien baby inside of me which ran up under my left ribs and pushed up into my stomach. I had reflux and slept with 3 pillows then too. I'm not and wasn't overweight BMI 23. Did start losing weight but it didn't change anything with my symptoms. The colon was removed and I was in hospital for 1 week. Surgeon at the local med school did surgery and he said I had a 80 yo woman's colon and it was the longest one he had seen in a long time. I was 39. Pathology report came back on my colon and it read sporadic idiopathic type 2 colonic neuropathy. GI doc said that he's never seen that in a path report before and I was his 5th pt in his career that had a colon distended and elongated like mine. So for you, I suggest a Barium study because that showed all of the loops and kinks for my doc even though he knew from the c-scopy that something was wrong. Life is good now but they tell me I will eventually lose the rest of my colon because it will elongate and distend too. I am on colchicine.6mg 3 times/day, xenical 120mg 1/day, ranitadine 300mg 1/day all for motility. Water content is not an issue for me so amitiza and miralax do not work. Zelnorm was wonderful which actually work on the neuroreceptors of the colon but FDA took it off the market. That's when I went on all the drugs I'm on now. I manage ok with them. Its wonderful though now to not be in the floor in a fetal position in pain anymore. I'm thankful surgery was done. My surgery was 1/2006. My weight has maintained at what it was at surgery. Good Luck to you and if I can offer anymore info just let me know.
|

replied July 15th, 2011
my son is dx with colonic neuropathy. can't find any one else or anything else to advise us. have proposed diverting ileostomy. please email me back
|

replied March 6th, 2010
Lactulose
I also have no peristalsis in my colon. I went for yrs without having regular bowel movements, not knowing my colon did not function. I finally found a dr who knew what to do. I ended up having colorectal cancer due to the fact that it laid there and never moved so I ended up with and ulcer which the cancer formed in. Needless to say, every day I take lactulose 3tbs, 3x's a day and miralax 17gm 3x's a day and 2 over the counter stool softener. If I miss a dose, my body knows it. My ulcerative colitis flares up and send real bad pain on my left side. I believe the lactulose is what has really helped me a lot. I tried several different perscription meds for over 3mths that never relieved me. When I finally had the right medicine I lost 40pds in one month, due to all that I had backed up in me. I was ready to explode. I hope this helps you. Maybe your dr can try you on something like this.
|

replied January 16th, 2014
Hi.
I have googled this because I have the same problem. I had a foot of my colon removed due to cancer and my bowel has not peristalsised since the operation one month ago. I just have constant sluge that comes out one end if I put something in the top end. Xray today showed I am "full of it". He has put me on steroids and antibiotics to reduce the swelling around the join in my bowel which isn't far up the passageway. He also has my on a stool softener for however long it takes to make my stools like water. I am interested to see if I can get some of this lactulose and if that may help me. What can I do to retrain my bowel to begin peristalsis again after surgery. Never had any trouble till now.
|

replied March 6th, 2010
Lactulose
I also have no peristalsis in my colon. I went for yrs without having regular bowel movements, not knowing my colon did not function. I finally found a dr who knew what to do. I ended up having colorectal cancer due to the fact that it laid there and never moved so I ended up with and ulcer which the cancer formed in. Needless to say, every day I take lactulose 3tbs, 3x's a day and miralax 17gm 3x's a day and 2 over the counter stool softener. If I miss a dose, my body knows it. My ulcerative colitis flares up and send real bad pain on my left side. I believe the lactulose is what has really helped me a lot. I tried several different perscription meds for over 3mths that never relieved me. When I finally had the right medicine I lost 40pds in one month, due to all that I had backed up in me. I was ready to explode. I hope this helps you. Maybe your dr can try you on something like this.
|

replied June 19th, 2010
Hi there. I have a 5yr old blind child that has a soft stool yet because he is not crawling or doing the movements of a normal child his age as in crouching and jumping etc, the peristaltic movement is not there. His stool is not the shape of our stools as like a sausage either, its just a huge mush. do you think its because no excercise and shaping the colon to make the sausage shape could be the reason. i need help. He cries a lot when he has a movement as well. can be all day he would have the cramps . He is not talking either so its hard to really know what he is feeling. He used to have blood in his stool when up to 2yrs old, now theres no blood.
karen
south africa
|