Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Afraid of the end of the world (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Anyone else raised religously or otherwise afraid of the end of the world. I mean like you are convinced of it , may not know when but have all sorts of terrible scenerios and thoughts about the events this will lead to and what will happen to people, me, loved ones. Terrible things. I do believe in God, so I dont know if I am so afraid because I know its true or if this is a psychological thing a paranoia or something.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper CranialVisions
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Well, if you believe in God, then you probably have a bible. Get it out and read the apocalypse....you can also get a Catholic interpretation of the Apocalypse and read that too, and that will probably make more sense. It really isn't so bad for those who are just: the vengeance of God is only going to come down on those who aren't living according to His law.

No one will know when the end of the world is coming, but as far as the time range of events, it's highly unlikely that it is even going to occur in our generation. You would have to follow the events in the Catholic Church to be a little more acquainted as to where we are on the time line.... but there will be a period of great peace, and things are very far from that right now. I'll let you know when that happens Wink
|

replied January 25th, 2008
I am very well aware of what the bible says on the subject. A VERY few people will be left to rebuild. A specific few. You have to be more than a "good" person. And we are very near the end time according to the bible. And his Law means a lot more than the commandments. We have cast aside the days God said to observe in favor of things like easter and christmas so even very good caring people that live according to the commandments are living agaist his law without knowing it and will not be spared the things to come in the end. I guess I am answering myself because yes I do believe it will happen but I feel a loss of reality because of it. If God is real and there is a satan and demons and angels then there is life going on in another realm of existence. Beings with no physical form , telepathic beings , magical beings. Thats just crazy how can I be sane and believe that.
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Rebuild? Rebuild what?

The end of the world may be nearer than most people think it is, but as I said, it is highly unlikely that it will happen in our lifetime. There has to be first, great persecutions and wars, followed by a period of peace which I have mentioned, and then the time of the anti-Christ, who hasn't shown his face yet as of today, and who knows if he is even born.

I know about just not being a good person: you have to be Catholic since as the Bible says: outside the Church there is no salvation. You don't worry about what sins the world is committing. Worry about yourself and the people you are in charge of.

You are not crazy to believe in a spiritual world. It is real and logical to believe in it. Most people do believe in a spiritual world. All because we cannot see it doesn't mean it isn't there, and all because people deny it, doesn't mean it does not exist.
|

I dont want to talk about the religous aspect really, that will get me nowhere it is completely your opinion that it will be the catholic church. Unless you have some insight into phobias or fears, negative thinking something like that then thanks but you have been taught differently than me as probably most any random person on the net. I dont want anyone to interpret the bible for me thank you
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Ok so you don't want to talk about the religious aspect of it, but you have already stated things about "God's law", spirituality: this is religion. Religion is what you believe in and a way of life according to what you believe in. I don't know how it isn't getting you anywhere because why worry about the end of the world if you don't believe in spiritual things?

It is clear that the end of the world means the end of the physical existence of created matter but for our bodies which will rejoin our souls. If there was nothing after the end of the world...then that would be the end and nothing would come after. Like nothing ever existed.

The reason why you are blaming me for basing it on religion and turning off my whole explanation is not because you think that I am differently taught than you, it is because you don't want to have to NOT worry about it.

I have given you a clear and reasonable explanation, based on true facts, because I did study the bible quite a bit (and you must admit that the only reason we know of the apocolypse is because of the Bible) that you do not want to hear. If you listen to what I say, then you will have no cause to worry. This makes you throw the whole thing off to religious bias and your determination to continue to worry is your own fault if you refuse to listen to sound apologetic reason.
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Can you please help me,Im so scared of the world ending, i cant breathe i cry. i have a cold feeling at night i think of doing sucide.. im not living a happy life. im so afriad of the world ending PLEASE help me my parents tried to help but still, they say that the world will end in a billion years because the sun will die, and will the earth PLEASE help me i just wana be happy im not living a healthy life:(
|

replied October 29th, 2012
do not be afraid
you are loved my dear. do not let other people's opinion,the news, the internet, youtube or even the bible or anything else scare you.
the universe wanted you here and alive for avery good reason.
you are here to be loved and to love. do not ever commit or even think of suicide!
you my dear, are going to achieve great things in life and help many people all over the world.

that's your destiny, to help ,to love and to be loved. i can't wait to hear about you and your good work someday soon!
|

Mominashoe there are thousands of branches of christianity why would I take Your word as the authority in interpreting Gods inspired work, the Bible.

This is the anxiety forum.

Well once again I would like to know if anyone else has feelings like this. Anyone out there have similar fears, thoughts. Feel at times severe Anxiety or stress over it.
|

replied May 19th, 2011
extreme anxiety
i have very high levels of anxiety over the world ending. i have periods of time when i wont leave my house. Im scared of everything! Literally. I want help but i dont know where to go. Im always scared somethings goin to happen., Someone please help me!!!
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2012
Experienced User
For me I always go to scripture. The Bible should be your only source for truth. Ask God to discern truth to you. If you truly believe, all the answers are in scripture. That erases all doubt of which opinion are in line with the word.
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Mominashoe is right. She isnt asking you to take her word on the Bible Im sure. Sure Im sure everyone had anxiety over the end of the world.Im not seeing where this issue turned religious.It was you that said that you beleived in God. I think that you should thing about why it is that you are afraid of the end of the world. Those who lead a just honest and upright life have no need to fear. The only reason that people are afraid of the end of the world is Gods vengece.

The end of the world scares me too-that is why I live every day as if it is my last and I dont worry about the end.As long as I have a clear conscience--Im sure of Gods mercy and not his wrath.

And what is this rebuilding you are speaking of. and the end of the world its the end. think about the meaning of the word end---its finished it wont exist any more.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I fear the end of the world because I fear death - not just my death but everyone's death.

It is no good saying that you will be okay because you won't know anything when you're dead - it's the 'not knowing anything' that scares me.

It's no good saying that if you believe in a hereafter you can look forward to eternal life, because eternal life scares me too: I have to know there is an exit if I want to get out.

In fact, I am afraid of the unknown: this is why I am afraid of death, inconsciousness, anaesthetics, sleep, deep water, pitch darkness, strangers and the future.

I am also afraid of being trapped in a situation I can't get out of: the hereafter, tunnels, caves, lifts, planes, relationships ...

Guess I am in the right forum, then! scared
|

replied March 11th, 2012
yea me too Sad
|

I was hoping a for a little to much thinking someone would understand :p
I would have to explain a lot of religous background for you to understand. No none of us will be spared thats the thing just because you live a Moral life isnt enough. It will be a chosen group and trust me its none of us. We will watch our families get sick, tortured maybe die in a "natural" disaster. Read the bible. Its not going to go "Poof" its going to take 3 years of diseases and violence and disasters to wipe us out.
The rebuilding why do you think god is not killing every single person for.Its all in the bible, he is saving a small group of people because he is going to banish satan, return and rebuild the world as a utopia. Its all in there in black and white.
But in order for that to happen we have go through what I guess we call the apocalypse.
I am just bringing in the religion so you see where I am coming from a little bit. I say I dont want to talk about it because I know impulsively people will want to tell me their version of what is to come and say see there is nothing to worry about. And that doesnt help :p So I wonder what to do about the stress part of it. Are there techniques or something to stress managment. I am just getting, well dont worry about it, you cant do anything and if your good then nothing will happen to you. And I simply know thats not true. I know its hard for someone to understand how Im feeling I was just hoping to see maybe one other person that kinda got what I was saying.
|

I meant to also add that Im not afraid of dieing or spiritual afterlife, its the awful things that happen to cause the end of the world. War, slavery all kinds of terrible things plaques, diseases, natural disasters of all variaties.
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
we do understand you asked for our thoughts.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I put my thoughts and advice which is freely given, take it or leave it.

And I do understand about phobias and the fear of the end of the world. I used to be petrified of the end of the world myself.

But I also know that my own death is more imminent than the end of the world, so I don't need to fear the end of the world. I don't know when my death is either, I could get hit by a truck tomorrow and die. There are other things to worry about that can be more productive to worry about, and that's what you should do: some productive worrying.

You know why I don't worry and obsess anymore? Because I concentrate on and fill my life the happiness of others and what I can do for them. I keep myself busy caring for my children. It doesn't leave much time for thinking about what could possibly happen to me tomorrow or 50 years from now.
|

User Profile
Supporter
You sound like a rational lady, mominashoe, but phobias are not rational and it is not always that easy to make a decision to stop being phobic.

But I agree - having children alters one's perspectives somewhat.
|

replied January 17th, 2011
me scared
im scared of eternal life i cant stop thinking about it heaven seems nice the way it is explained but the eternal part im like scared it will start to get boring or something one day and it goes on and on and on got an ideas how to help me?
|

replied January 17th, 2011
me scared
im scared of eternal life i cant stop thinking about it heaven seems nice the way it is explained but the eternal part im like scared it will start to get boring or something one day and it goes on and on and on got an ideas how to help me?
|

replied May 29th, 2011
I think about a perpetual heaven or hell too and the thought does seem rather scary. Imagine living for billions of years without ever ceasing. I'm not sure if this is good advice, but whenever I think about this, I try to think of something else more immediate in my life that I will have to face before death. For example if you have an exam to study for and you're worried about how you will perform on it, or if a big event is coming up that you need to prepare for. Thinking of nervous events in real life seems to override my fear of an eternal afterlife. I believe that you have to take things one step at a time. Before you start worrying about the afterlife be more concerned with what you have to accomplish in life. Apparently heaven is a good place too, so who knows you may want to be in it forever if you are with the people you love.
As a note to the other posters, I'm not critiquing religion or anything, but sometimes religion really does instill a lot of fear in individuals. I'm sure everyone was aware of the recent "end of the world omen" and nothing ended up happening. It's nice to believe in God and have a religion, but we really can't let it control our lives. We're only here for a short time, we can't just be preoccupied with what God deems to be good or bad. I haven't read the bible myself and I can safely say I'm not worried about the world ending. If it's my time then it's my time. I'm not going to live my life in fear or join a monastery to be deemed a superior consecrated individual who will be given mercy by God. I'm sure there's going to be more natural disasters prevalent, and ubiquitous diseases which will transpire due to scientific reasons.
|

replied June 1st, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
the scariest part of the bible for me is the earthquake in revelation, it pretty much dilapitates civilization, who knows what the ones that are left are going to do.

Yeah, that would give me anxiety also, and it does.

There are also alot of other cultures that talk about an earthquake that destroys just about everything.

It has even been found that this may have happened before.

It makes you wonder what kind've guy would make such a thing doesn't it.

Alot of true things in the bible really, but not all of it, people have had their hands on it for a long time now, so who could take it to be true one hundred percent. It's even been proven that it's been changed, taken away from and added to over and over again, we wouldn't even know what we were reading to be honest.
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2011
I haven't read all the replies thoroughly, because there are a lot of them, and seem mostly to be people arguing, which causes me anxiety on its own.

I can't give you any advice on the subject, other than maybe trying to do some yoga and meditate on your existence. I have a lot of fears concerning the apocalypse, both for myself and my loved ones. I have terrible visions in my head of raging fires or storms killing one of us, or all of us. I worry that I won't go on to someplace good, that I'll be punished for my wrongdoings. But when it comes down to it, all I really can do is focus on today and what's right in front of me. When the apocalypse does come, I won't be able to control it, so I just work on acceptance, and believing the fact that I can't fix or control things that are so far beyond me. I can't even understand them, only God can, and only God does.

I was looking through some posters at a shop yesterday, and I came across a James Dean one with a quote on it. The quote was surprisingly deep and in line with this conversation. It simply said, "Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today." And I guess that's all we can really do.
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2011
I might have cut myself off early, I didn't really give any advice at all there, and I realized that, after years of counseling and psychology classes, I actually might have advice to offer. First of all, know that there are people who know exactly how you feel. It's quite possible that I am one of them. Be open to advice and understanding, and relief will come. That's something I can promise you. Ways to Relieve Anxiety - Go for a long walk, play with a pet, take time to appreciate the beauty in the world, exercise, yoga, meditation, get a massage, journal about how you feel, do simple childish things like blow bubbles or color with crayons, spend time with your friends laughing and goofing off, make the most of this day, listen to relaxing music, take a bath, cook or go out to eat something delicious. Most of all, I advise that you seek counseling. It doesn't mean that you're crazy by any means, it just gives you someone to talk to. Also, you might want to think about a daily anti-anxiety medication like BuSpar, or a benzo like Xanax or Valium just for panic attacks. I take Xanax for panic attacks, and I’m no worse for the wear. Just don’t abuse them, that leads to worse problems.
|
12 >>