Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Pullout Method (Page 1)

User Profile
On the pregnancy forums, there's been PLENTY of debate on the Pullout Method and Pre-cum. It works. It doesn't. I'm proof this way. I'm proof that way. Statistically, all forms of birth control has a failure rate.

What is your opinion? Again, OPINION! Not 100% this way or that. No one is 100% right about everything, so again, please leave your OPINION.

Does it work? Doesn't it work? Do you think there is sperm in pre-ejaculate? Or is it just a stupid myth?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 25th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
It definatley works. i believe there is sperm in pre-ejaculation. ASk the girls that are prego or have had kids when they were using the pullout "method" i'm done thanks for readin
|

Especially eHealthy
Not my opinion, but a fact: No doctor or nurse would recommend this 'method' of birth control because it is not an accurate method of birth control. It is like leaving your pregnancy up to chance. This is what I think people are doing when they say we aren't 'actively trying to have a baby, but we aren't not trying either'.

I believe that it is only a matter of time before someone gets pregnant using this 'method'. You may not have gotten pregnant, but plenty of other people did.
|

Well My husband and I have been using the Pull out method for seven years as our only form of birth control. The only times we have gotten pregnant is when we wanted to and bam we would get pregnant right away. The first unfortunately was a miscarriage but we waited several months and as soon as we tried again it happened. Now our baby will be 3 soon and we are trying for another soon hopefully with the same quick luck. While it works for us very well we are okay with there being a slip up if there were, and I think thats very important when using this method. Now right after my child I REALLY didnt want to get pregnant again till I got back in shape which took 2 years bleh, and I still trusted the pull out method for us. I really still dont recommend it at all for people that are not ready for a child should you get pregnant. Even tho it does work for us. But my husband has a lot of control in that area and doesnt slip up, some guys dont idk I know it works for me but if you dont want to get pregnant it just isnt safe at all. I cant seem to make myself recomend it just because I cant see it working for many people.
|

Especially eHealthy
I have heard far more stories of it failing than it working. I would never, ever EVER trust my body to the "chance" that my partner doesn't have virile pre-cum. You're right about the "slipping up" part. You can't prove he does and you can't prove he doesn't. A condom isn't even a millimeter thick. Pills are a centimeter in diameter. Tiny tiny things for prevention people. Don't be lazy.
|

Extremely eHealthy
The withdrawal method is definitely not a good method of birth control because of it's very high failure rate. (over 27%). However, no medical study or research has to date shown that sperm is normally contained in precum.

This method fails to prevent pregnancy in the follwing ways:

1. Sperm can get into precum if the male has ejaculated earlier in the day, because leftover sperm can mix with precum and impregnante a woman.

2. As a man pulls out and ejaculates, he may get some on the outside of the vagina, close enough for the semen to still get inside and some sperm can reach the egg.

3. The most common way this method fails is that the male cannot properly control when he ejaculates, and doesn't pull out in time.

"Precum, also known as "pre-ejaculate", comes from a part of the male body known as the Cowper's gland or the Bulbourethral gland. The counterpart in the female body is known as Bartholin's glands.

These glands do not manufacture or contain sperm.

Bulbourethral Glands

The paired bulbourethral (Cowper's) glands are small, about the size of a pea, and located near the base of the penis. A short duct from each gland enters the proximal end of the penile urethra. In response to sexual stimulation, the bulbourethral glands secrete an alkaline mucus-like fluid. This fluid neutralizes the acidity of the urine residue in the urethra, helps to neutralize the acidity of the vagina, and provides some lubrication for the tip of the penis during intercourse.

They are homologues of bartholin's glands in the female.

bulbourethral glands

Two glands in the substance of the sphincter of the urethra, just posterior to its membranous part and located near its origin. They are homologues of bartholin's glands in the female. They supply mucus to the urethra during sexual intercourse to assist in the lubrication of coitus.
|

Especially eHealthy
Wow, I've totally noticed the mucous discharge from the bulbourethral glands. I never noticed until a few months ago when masturbating because I rarely touch my bare skin down there - I just dislike the smell and the feeling, it's gross. I noticed slimy clear stuff coming from the urethral region, definitely not from my vagina.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I believe that the pull out method, when used in conjunction with other methods, such as a condom, is quite effective. Very Happy
|

User Profile
Pull Out Can Work For Years
And, then it doesn't work. If you don't want to conceive a child, then just don't stick it in there. Otherwise, use your common sense and use a condom. I know that doesn't sound very romantic, and basically, it isn't. Doesn't feel the same, I know.

However, I know for a fact that a man's penis can have leftover semen in there from the previous encounter. I have tasted it and kind of smiled to myself at how he used to always say, no, never anybody but you. Sure. Right. You believe that, then you believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny, too!

There are some smart women on this forum with the ability to advise you. Go with what they have to give you in good faith.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Quote:
However, I know for a fact that a man's penis can have leftover semen in there from the previous encounter. I have tasted it and kind of smiled to myself at how he used to always say, no, never anybody but you. Sure. Right. You believe that, then you believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny, too!

Roberta, do you mean the man was with someone else right before you, like the same night?
|

User Profile
All I know
we were never together except during the day. He was somebody beloved to me but such a baby boy when it came to truthfulness. And, yes, I believe that he was with somebody else because he said to me, "wait, I am not clean." What else could that possibly mean? You live and you learn. And, at least, we are working together on my survival of my vineyards. He is still precious to me, but, not in that special way when I used to love him.
|

replied January 26th, 2008
Experienced User
Well... it worked for us, for 1 year & 2 mos., that is. I wouldn't recommend it, & once our son is born, I plan on getting on something more reliable, such as, an IUD. I truly believe pre-cum is what got me pregnant.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Roberta, I'm really sorry that happened. I'm glad you are still together in some way or another, though. Smile

october05_mommy, pre-cum could have gotten you pregnant if your husband had sperm leftover in his penis from a previous ejaculation earlier that day. Either that or he didn't time the "pull-out" correctly. If pre-cum normally had sperm in it, it probably would have gotten you pregnant a lot sooner than 14 months.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
If people like to use the method and it works then good for them. I find it very gratifying when my and husband are free to orgasm together and he doesn't have to stick his penis out in the best part of the lovemaking. If I were a man particulary I wouldn't definetly like to do that. So to each his own.
|

Extremely eHealthy
TMI? lol! j/k Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
futureshock wrote:
The withdrawal method is definitely not a good method of birth control because of it's very high failure rate. (over 27%). However, no medical study or research has to date shown that sperm is normally contained in precum.

This method fails to prevent pregnancy in the follwing ways:

1. Sperm can get into precum if the male has ejaculated earlier in the day, because leftover sperm can mix with precum and impregnante a woman.

2. As a man pulls out and ejaculates, he may get some on the outside of the vagina, close enough for the semen to still get inside and some sperm can reach the egg.

3. The most common way this method fails is that the male cannot properly control when he ejaculates, and doesn't pull out in time.

"Precum, also known as "pre-ejaculate", comes from a part of the male body known as the Cowper's gland or the Bulbourethral gland. The counterpart in the female body is known as Bartholin's glands.

These glands do not manufacture or contain sperm.

Bulbourethral Glands

The paired bulbourethral (Cowper's) glands are small, about the size of a pea, and located near the base of the penis. A short duct from each gland enters the proximal end of the penile urethra. In response to sexual stimulation, the bulbourethral glands secrete an alkaline mucus-like fluid. This fluid neutralizes the acidity of the urine residue in the urethra, helps to neutralize the acidity of the vagina, and provides some lubrication for the tip of the penis during intercourse.

They are homologues of bartholin's glands in the female.

bulbourethral glands

Two glands in the substance of the sphincter of the urethra, just posterior to its membranous part and located near its origin. They are homologues of bartholin's glands in the female. They supply mucus to the urethra during sexual intercourse to assist in the lubrication of coitus.

So basically pre-cum helps in conceiving by lubricating and neutralizing the acidic level in the vagina, not by producing sperm... makes sense.

My theory is that if pre-cum had sperm in it, and a man didn't ejaculate AT ALL (last time let's say a month ago) then you could get pregnant. I have yet to hear that actually happen, so I'm sticking with pre-cum DOES NOT contain sperm.

I agree that it's not a method for everything, then again nothing is. There is a failure rate for everything but no sex. All types of birth control are not 100%. Apparently you could be on the pill/patch/shot, AND use a condom, AND he pulled out and supposedly get pregnant.

But for me, it works. I like it because I don't have to clean up Very Happy , he does (TMI, sry). We still share the wonderful moment together, but not physically together. We enjoy it, it works for us, we will probably continue using it.
|

User Profile
The Pulling Out
right at the height of sexual pleasure seems to be like running into a brick wall. You are there and then, he has to pull out and in the case of someone I knew, ejaculate on the stomach of his partner. Yuk! Who gets to clean up that mess? Probably her, especially knowing him.

He was with his girlfriend when his wife went over there and asked him to come back home. He did. Climbed right back on and got her pregnant. Said he doesn't even remember how it could have happened because they used the pull out method. Even said he wondered if she had cheated on him. Please. Is that a man for you or not?

I believe there is nothing more beautiful than a man and a woman who love each other, sharing each other emotionally and sexually, being able to be completely there for each other in reaching orgasm together. May not be at the same moment, it seldom is, but loving each other and being happy that they are together at such a precious time.
|

replied January 28th, 2008
I think that any woman who allows her partner to use the withdrawal method is either ignorant or trying to get pregnant. It only takes one sperm and those little wigglers constantly leak out during intercourse. The full flood happens with ejaculation but there are still plenty getting in there to lay siege to the egg and they are biologically programmed to do so.

Neither coitus interruptus nor "natural family planning" are viable methods of birth control except for those who are willing and able to incubate and raise or abort offspring. Until men can completely plug their urethra during sex to stop all sperm from escaping and women can predict their cycles with 100% accuracy without the use of a lab, using "natural" methods are just a covert way of saying you're trying to get knocked up or knock someone up.

We can't consciously control our fertility. If you aren't willing and able to abstain, breed, abort or pay child support then you'd better be willing to use condoms, spermicides, birth control pills, IUD's, diaphragms, femdoms, inserts or one of the other methods in a LONG LIST of prevention methods then frankly you're either too young, too stupid or too ignorant to be having sex in the first place. There are so many choices to prevent pregnancy and STD's now. Use them while you still have the option.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2008
HAHA
the pullout method sooooooo doesnt work..... ask my son's daddy! he seemed to think it would too..... (thats okay though, soon after my son was conceived and before we knew it, we gave up on the pullout method and decided it waas okay to have a baby and i love him dearly)
|

replied March 9th, 2008
The pull-out method might work, but I think the cases that don't are probably cases where the man didn't pull out before dumping his load. When you're in the throes of passion and right about to climax, the absolute last thing you want to do is stop - and often, the woman may not know the guy went off in her and he may not even bother telling her because he doesn't want to destroy the moment.

Some weird study was done last year proving that pre-cum definitely does not contain sperm...if I can find it, I'll post it. I'm kind of on the fence - I mean, sperm need a very wet environment to survive in. Does the inside of a man's penis remain damp enough to sustain the life of the sperm? If sperm can't move around in some kind of fluid, then they'll die. Unless a guy can smear pre-cum on a microscope slide and look at it under a microscope, there's no way to tell if he's got potential resource-suckers living in his pre-cum. And taste alone isn't indication enough - all bodily fluids taste salty. Notice how blood tastes salty? And tears do too? Pre-cum isn't exemt from the taste test Smile

I definitely would not recommend the pull-out method for people who are trying to avoid making a welfare check...I mean baby. Even if their lives depended on it, 99 percent of men can't pull out before spilling even a little semen. And since a teaspoon of semen contains about a hundred million sperm, you can imagine how many are in a single little droplet.
|
12 >>