Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

strengthening brittle teeth

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
in the past few week i have broken 3 of my teeth. twice this happened in my sleep, and one while eating a chip (yum). does anyone know a reason y they might be breaking or a way to make them stronger.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper elmagator
|

replied January 27th, 2008
It sounds like you grind your teeth. Grinding is also referred to as bruxism. Severe grinding can lead to tooth cracking and fracturing. To help reduce the risk of this type of trauma, wearing a nightguard is very helpful. There are over-the-counter (OTC) nightguards and also those prescribed by dentist. THe ones prescribed by dentist are custom made for a secure fit around each tooth. Custom made nightguards can also help maintain the position or alignment of your teeth if used regularly. These nightguards also tend to be more durable than the OTC ones. The biggest disadvantage, which is usually the most important factor to the patient, is the cost of the custom made nightguards obtained from the dentist. They are much more costly than the over the counter type. Nevertheless, you should try using either type of nightguard to help protect your teeth. Stress reduction methods should also be a consideration since stress tends to be one of the most common reasons why we grind our teeth.
|
Users who thank elmagator for this post: liamterry 

replied December 7th, 2011
thank you ill try that Smile
|

thank you my son is suffuring depression because of it
|

replied August 27th, 2009
Brittle Teeth
I have also had the unfortunate experience of brittle teeth and though I have been known to grind at night, I have already been given a nightguard. However, I've just had another tooth chipped. The first required me to get a root canal and I chipped it eating a rice cake. The second is hopefully not so bad (just happened today) and I've only eaten wontons so far. Any idea what might be causing my teeth to be so brittle and what I can do to strengthen them so that this won't ever happen again?
|

replied December 18th, 2010
brittle teeth
I read an ebook about this and i find getting rid of stress helps try St johns wort 2-3 times a day and i do breathing exercises 10 min a day before bed and putting a hot flanel over your jaw for a few minutes. i also use toothsoap it makes the enal grow back i hope this helps
|

replied December 18th, 2010
what is the best simple treatment to strengthen brittle teeth?
|

my son has a wobbly tooth he is only 12 he has had a bike insident and his left front tooth is really weak what do i do
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2012
give him toothpaste with fluoride....fluoride tablets as it helps restructure and strengthen the tooth...too much fluoride as tabletz may lead to flurosis so watch the dose out...clacium with vitamin D...if u get a chance sugarcane chewing helps in developing resistance to the tooth in the long run....if u also get a chance,try using miswaak....helps keep the gum healthy and strong teeth...but do not overuse...he is young,the gums are very mobile and teeth have time to remineralise but but let go..start now
|

replied April 24th, 2013
Brittle Teeth
I have had three front teeth with veneers fall apart in two months, 9 cavities, and another cracked tooth pulled in December of 2012. Yes, I think I grind my teeth at night and I am getting a guard through my dentist. He has also recommended the use of gemkaps and disclosure products. I am also chewing Zylitol gum. My question: Is there a vitamin or mineral deficiency that might be causing me to suddenly become a "Cavity Magnet" (my dentist's words). Please advise!!!
|
Quick Reply