Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

How Do I Gain Weight?

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
Hi, I just turned 14 on april 20 and I have quite a hard time gaining weight. I weigh about 105 lbs. And I am 5"6. I play basketball almost everyday, about 2-3 hours. I also do not want to stun my growth, for I read that heavy weight training will stun your growth, and at the same time I would like to gain additional muscle mass if it is possible with gaining weight. Help would be great, thanks.

This probably doesn't apply to my weight, but I am also diagnosed with ashtma since I was born and I have been using the nebulizer rarely and the inhaler. Two, I don't breath from my nose like everybody else does, but from my mouth, inhale and exhale. Allergies kill and it had got me sneezing, runny nose, stuffy nose, etc. Does ashtma have to do anything with my weight, maybe the medicine that treats ashtma? Allergies and ashtma is a deadly combination by the way. Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 27th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
I cant answer your question but I too have allergies and asthma and can sympathize with you there =(

<3
gaby
|

replied July 27th, 2004
Experienced User
Lifting weight when young is a myth so dont believe it. In order to get big you must eat big and lift big. You need to have your calorie intake more then your intake. Reduse cardio if you are doing it. Eat a lot and lift weights. You need to get some weights and start learning the proper techniques of lifting. Lift heavy and eat heavy.
|

replied August 1st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Start Easy & Slow!!
With weights as with anything you must start low & work up - you will injure yourself if you try & lift a weight that your body & your muscles are not ready to take. So start with what you know you can lift & build up to higher weights slowly & evenly (preferably at a gym with a trained person to advise you).

Asthma meds can inhibit growth - if taken often enough at the right(or wrong) ages - during growing stages etc. Allergies can also affect growth as can what you eat. You need to eat enough calories to have the energy to burn while exercising.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Srinivas Singaram
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar