Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

excessive, niosy and smelly flatulence ?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
For a while now (past 2 years plus) I have had pretty much continuous nasty smelling flatulence. It sometimes gets less but never goes away entirely. I have a pretty healthy diet, with homecooked meals and not much processed stuff, am reasonably fit (I walk daily to school with kids), I have bit of weight to lose but not loads. I thought at first it could be alcohol related but even when I'm not havign a drink(or the day after it continues). I've read somewhere flatulating 15-20 times a day is normal/average - i'm like that every hour ! (i.e 15-20 x an hour or more).
Any ideas? thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper windpower
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2008
Supporter
Irritable bowel? Sensitivity to certain foodstuffs eg - most commonly - wheat? Try Colpermin - they are little peppermint capsules that you can buy over the counter at your pharmacist or get on prescription from your GP. They help break the wind up into small, discreet little 'breezes' and the peppermint ensures that they smell nice! You could also try charcoal tablets.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
Experienced User
Excessive wind
I have the same problem, not ibs though, and Colpermin doesn't help. It is so uncomfortable, but like above i dont eat many 'culprit' foods. I don't understand, but it is painful and driving me nuts....
|

replied February 10th, 2010
we do pass as lot of gas even after death. i began this excessive gurgling after anti-biotics, eating on the run, and changing from all fruits and veggies back to on the run foods. I started today with a tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar, keep drinking lots of filtered water with bicarbonate soda 1tsp to a gallon, to keep the system balanced, back to organic yogurt. relax myself..it also began when I began a colon cleansing..4 tablets a day is too much for me..eat the smaller meals, see if you can do fruits that are low in acidity,try a puree of leeks,carrots with celtic salt..and use kelp for sodium.
read about the fiber foods that cause gas, try to get the inflammation down, fiber such as beans also creates flatulence..and if you try the charcoal keep in mind they absorb nutrients also. temporarily you can use betaine (hydrochloric acid) to assist with digestion, I cannot anymore due to the weakness of my stomach..instead I use papain. good luck.
|

replied May 27th, 2010
Digestive problems
I am a 27 yr old woman and I suffer with severe constipation (bowel movement 1-2 times a fortnight if lucky, usually
end up taking laxatives or suppositries)I have excessive urination (once an hour or more at times) and I have terrible flatulance that is constant and uncontrolable. I use the gym 3 times a week and eat all home made healthy cooked meals and only have the odd treat any ideas of what my
problem could be ? I've changed my diet many times and nothing helps
any ideas would be greatly appreciated
|

replied March 6th, 2011
excessive wind
i also have severe wind, violent and smelly, its so loud and powerful i have to stay in, its so loud that the dog jumps out of is skin and the vibration made the mirror fall of the wall. i go to the toilet and have soft poo 4 times a day minimum, my dad said i need putting down its not right. Can anyone help?
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
smell of flatulence
I'm not sure about solving the problems of gas itself, but eating cranberries and drinking cranberry juice, or cranberry juice blend (100% juice, not the 25% stuff) will help with the smell. Within an hour the problem of the smell is gone, even if the gas is still there, so it's not really noticeable to others.
|