Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Hard Lump In Back Of Tongue

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
A few weeks ago I had really bad strep throat and a fever. I went through a cycle of antibiotics, and felt ALMOST 100% again. A day or two later the far back of my tongue became sore, and hurt when I swallowed, and it felt like there was something stuck in my throat. I looked in the mirror, and in the far back of my tongue was a lump (a little smaller than the size of a dime) I felt it and it was hard and sore. I went to the doctor, he told me I still have an infection, and that the bump is an "infected taste bud" I thought it was way too big to be that, but he said the taste buds in the back of your tongue are much larger than the front. He put me back on antibiotics, and scheduled me a follow up in 2 weeks. Im still concerned, should I get a second opinion?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper powers
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
How are you feeling now?

I'd recommend you follow your intuition, which seems to be telling you to get a second opinion. I am a little skeptical about the doctor's explanation, as well.
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
I had the exact same thing happen to me. A couple weeks ago I had strep and took a round of antibiotics. Yesterday I developed this horribly painful lump in the far back part of my throat (on my tongue). Very sore when I swallow. Hey, at least I know I need to go to the doctor now to get it checked out (which is what I figured). :/ I was wondering what that was..
|

replied January 15th, 2011
Bump on the back of my tongue
I have the same thing. I just went to the pharmacy and bought an oral rinse. It feels just like you said, like something is stuck in my throat. The roof of my mouth feels sort of odd as well. Like it has been scraped or something. I don't have any health insurance at this time due to being laid off work over a year ago. I guess I need to go to the doctor though.
|

replied April 18th, 2011
Same thing happening to me , I'm going to use Antibiotics and when i start Coughing Get a lemon and add honey to reduce pain.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
I have the exact same thing as mentioned above, no one replied recently and has said where their Physician ended up having them do. I had strep and was put on steroids and antibiotics and then developed the sore. I initially thought the sore throat didn't get better because it still hurt when I swallowed, I then came to find out it wasn't my throat, it was my tongue. Any help here?
|