Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

sperm throwing PH off, odor with sex

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
For some reason I cannot access the BV?s post.. So I'll start a new one.
I had BV a few months ago. I still have some oder when having sex, my partner doesn't mind... but I wasn't like this before and I'd like to get back to normal. I'm thinking his sperm is throwing my PH off... is there anyway to keep it balanced w/o having to use a condom?? The only problem I seem to have is the oder. NO itch, NO burn ... I do have occassional discharge, but I believe that is normal for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Georgia59
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Are you talking about a bacterial infection? If you had sex while you had an infection, it's possible that he can catch it and pass it back to you. Or the treatments for the bacterial infection can cause a yeast infection. The best way to get your ph balanced is to wash with just water or gentle ph balanced soap, and you shouldn't have to do anything else.

So really, I wouldn't have sex (at least unprotected sex) until you are clear of symptoms and test clean. You could just be bringing your infection back over and over again. Once you are free of any infection, you should be able to have sex without a problem.

Lastly, semen in your vagina causes odor. This is just the way it is. After sex, particularly the day after, you might smell a little fishy because even though much of the semen leaks out, some of the semen stays up in there and gets a little funky smelling. As long as it doesn't smell terrible, or you can't smell it when you have your clothes on, this could just be normal and you can blame it on the guy Wink
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2008
bad smell
After having a sex, I have a bad smell inside and it stays for a quite time, My partener said it has happend before that when his sperm mix with some certain females that they get this smell too.
Is there any way I could prevent this smell and why we have not had this in the begininig of our relationship, it recently shows up. Now it bothers me but we still having a sex and I am trying to push away, still its on my mind. I use the dush to prevent this smell at least a little bit. I have never had this before with any of my partners so is there any other way that I can prevent this smell.
I was first thinking its me , so I used something for yeast infection for a while and I get to normal but then after we started again and its the same. Could it be that its his food depends what he eats and all.
Please if you could suggest me , what would be the best to prevent this smell. its like I am marked with his smell and smell on his sperm very often . I do not have any pains, or discharge, sometimes only few drops of his sperm which is very white and that is all. Of course the smell ...
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It sounds like it's him, not you! Fist of all, don't douche, that will make you more prone to infections. Secondly, a guy's sperm can really smell bad or good depending on what he eats, you may have noticed it can taste different at different times. I'm sure that has something to do with it.

A guy's sperm will stay up inside you for a few days, and might smell. If it's a really terrible smell, has he gotten checked for any kind of infection? It might be that you might be a little smelly after sex with him, and that's just the way it is. As long as you aren't having any itching, burning, discharge, etc, it's not any kind of infection. You could shower right after sex (together, perhaps) and wash the area really well (with a gentle ph balanced soap) and that might help.
|

replied January 13th, 2011
seman pH
So I have been with my partner for two years now and I have frequent BV and yeast infections. I have spoke with my doctor and it is very true that the pH levels in the mans sperm may affect the pH balance of a womans vaginal area. Its not a bad thing, but maybe the male needs to be treated for a yeast infectin as well. The best thing that helps that I have tried is Vitamin B supplements, acidopholis, and lemon juice. I dont understand it but it is true.
|

replied February 13th, 2012
vaginal odor
I have never had a problem with odor or infenctions, however when my bf started to not pull out or use a condom i noticed a foul smell a day or two later. If we dont have sex for awhile, or have protected sex i dont seem to have this problem, only seems to happen when he actually cums inside me. He doesnt like pulling out or using condoms at all so thats kind of out of the question. I have read that certain diets or showering emedietly afterwards helps. Well considering the fact that we have sex almost everyday, showering after everytime we have sex is pretty unrealistic. Is there any remedies that i could try to reduce the smell from his semen inside me? This is a huuuge problem that i desprately am seeking help with!!
|

replied March 26th, 2012
really soap is not gonna help. the smell is in side of you, u cant put soap up there and wash come on. What you do is get the daily pro b rephresh pills take them daily and get the rephresh applicators and use one when your done haveing sex. i get it all the time and since ive used these im normal again! how this happens is we got good and bad bacteria, if the guys sprem is stronger then ours then his sperm activates our bad bacteria which causes that smell. try them both they work and a guy cant give it back to him ask a doctor i was in the hospital becasue haveing bv can cause a pid and its very painful and not pretty and it can damage you. but you cant give it to a guy and then the guy give it back to you. yeast infection yes but not a bv... hope this helps!
|

replied March 26th, 2012
really soap is not gonna help. the smell is in side of you, u cant put soap up there and wash come on. What you do is get the daily pro b rephresh pills take them daily and get the rephresh applicators and use one when your done haveing sex. i get it all the time and since ive used these im normal again! how this happens is we got good and bad bacteria, if the guys sprem is stronger then ours then his sperm activates our bad bacteria which causes that smell. try them both they work and a guy cant give it back to him ask a doctor i was in the hospital becasue haveing bv can cause a pid and its very painful and not pretty and it can damage you. but you cant give it to a guy and then the guy give it back to you. yeast infection yes but not a bv... hope this helps!
|

replied September 16th, 2012
Thanks Kmmm! You read my mind!! It's obvious if regular soap and water worked, we wouldn't be on this site! I'm going to try the Rephresh Pro-B suppliments again. I wish there was something to clear this up permanently. This can be so annoying.
|

replied January 21st, 2013
woooow! thank God for this site. i am forever thankful that somebody else has this problem and not just me and my hunny. we have sex a lot and he explodes in me all the time and then it begins to smell. if we dont have sex for a few days the smell is gone and wont show up until we are very active (like every day). let me ask you... is there a Rephresh Pro-B suppliment and a rinse for after having sex? both of these remedies? or just a suppliment alone?
thank you all so much for your answers and questions.
truly.
|

replied October 25th, 2012
This past month I been going through this same issue, I was on birth control pills but they were messing up my cycle so I quit taking them I wasn't sure if that thru off my ph balance or not but lately I been having this bad odor during sex that i've never experienced before and it only happens during sex. I've been doing my research and I came up with severals different reasons that this could be happening, he cums inside of me sometimes and I think that's throwing me off.. I was with someone for 16 yrs and never had this problem maybe because he pulled out. I think his semen mixed with my fluids aren't a good match, plus he smokes and I heard that isn't good. The only thing is now he thinks I've cheated on him I'm 32 and he's 25.. I'm at a lost and very uncomfortable going to the doctor but that's a week away..
|

replied January 17th, 2013
My boyfriend ejaculates inside of me everyday when we have sex and I notice a fishy odor what can it be?
|

replied January 18th, 2013
Community Volunteer
A fishy odor is normally a sign of a bacterial infection like BV. Your doctor can test for it and treat it.
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2013
Don't jump to conclusions...
It's not BV if the odor goes away in a few days. This is just a pH imbalance from his semen mixing with your vaginal fluids.

If the odor persists, then you should seek help from a doctor.
|

replied May 14th, 2013
Strong odor few days after sex with new sexual partner...
Okay so on Friday night I had sex three times with a new sexual partner and the next morning we did it as well, all times with no protection. Then on Sunday & Monday I had some brownish/reddish discharge. It seemed as if my period was about to come soon but I don't get my period for the next 2 weeks. So on Monday and Tuesday I've had less discharge but a strong unpleasant odor, strong enough to smell it through my clothes. Tonight (Tuesday) I went in the shower and felt around inside to see if anything hurt and nothing did but I had a bit of blood? Which shouldn't happen because I always get my period around the same time and that doesn't come for another 2 weeks. I have no itching, burning, pain, no irregular discharge anymore (starting from Tuesday/today) but I had this odor... I'm not quite sure what this is...
|

replied December 4th, 2014
I'm in a similar predicament and was just wondering if you ever figured out the cause of your symptoms?
|

replied June 19th, 2013
need help with odor
my boyfriend and I are trying to get pregnant and since he has been cumming inside of me I have a horrible smell. I went to the doctors and they said I had BV. They gave me meds and the smell went away so we got back on our mission and now the horrible smell is back. I. don't know what to do! I ve been taking the acidophilos and drinking a probiotic but it doesn't seem to help. have also inserted my fingers while in the shower hoping that maybe the water would help some but it does not. I did notice when I pulled my fingers out there was some thick white.stuff.under my finger nails. I want to have a baby but I don't want this horrible smell. it is so bad at times I can smell it through my clothes.someone please help
|

replied December 6th, 2014

Just read this, I have had some embarrassing issues too. I've had my tubes ligated and a ablation done. I'm 28 and have unprotected intimacy as well. Only recently did this start, so I'm sure it's the PH or the yeast in my body has increased. No infections though, just have had an increase in secretions and smell is off. This website didn't mention it but you ladies may try looking up things with baking soda. I have had extra outbreaks in acne as well that I started treating with baking soda and coconut oil. Very embarrassing when your body changes in you. As if we don't have enough to worry about, our bodies become complicated!! Eek! Good luck, and glad to know it isn't just me!!
|