Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

Hemorrhoids and anal leakage (Page 1)

I was diagnosed with an internal hemerrhoid a few years ago, and i've learned how to deal with most of the symptoms except for one (of course, the most embarrassing): anal leakage.

This comes in two forms: sometimes after having a bowel movement earlier in the day I will feel some moisture, wipe, and notice feces on the toilet paper. This will happen occasionally, and normally taking a shower after a bowel movement stops this from happening.

The other is more problematic - even if I wipe and there are no observable feces (only some moisture), I almost always have a noticeable odor around that area that I think is more prelevant than with normal people - even if I haven't had a bowel movement in several hours (as in, the smell is always, always there). It gets so that everytime I remove my pants I can smell it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Has anyone experienced anything like this, a smell with an absence of observable fecal matter? If so, does anyone have any idea how to treat it?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Rennugliat
|

replied February 5th, 2008
I have the same problem. I have started to feel insecure about sitting closely to people for the fear that they may smell it. I am actually trying to find information or any ideas as to what can help this problem.
|

replied January 11th, 2012
How I solved my anal leak
I have to tell the world that I had anal leak, and the way I solved it is by stopping eating at panda express. I just learned that their food is full of sodium, but I don't know if sodium was the reason for my leak. it could be another food ingredient they use.
Either way, I stopped eating there and it stopped immediately.
Check the food you're eating people, it might be just that!
Good luck, I hope you all get out of this yesterday!
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied January 27th, 2012
Sounds like most of you here have fistula-in-ano. http://www.imt.ie/clinical/gastro-intestin al/2010/05/surgical-treatments-for-fistula -in-ano.html
I was only properly diagnosed today and have surgery planned for next month. I cannot tell you the relief I have now that I know I'm near the end of this curse!
|

replied July 9th, 2013
I had a hemorrhoidectomy two weeks ago and this solved my anal leakage problem. See me below posting of July 9, 2013.
|

replied July 13th, 2013
How much the cost? Thanks..
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied August 19th, 2008
I have this same issue. Does anybody have an idea on what the cure is? I have been to a couple docs and their solutions have not worked.

Thanks
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
embarrassing anal leakage
Having suffered for two years, undergone a colonoscopy and told 'nothing found', a new GP simply prescribed Fybogel sachets twice a day....result! No more leakage!!!
|

replied April 11th, 2013
How long did you take it for? I have suffered from it for like 2-3 years, it is really hampering my life. I have visited a few doctors, the last one did help a bit, but could not get rid of it. By the way does cranberry juice help?
|

replied August 23rd, 2008
ditto same leakage
I had the same thing, doc said it was the spincter not shutting the valve off completely and allowing leaks. I even used a hand held shower in the tub/shower to cleanse my anus every bowl movement. even with this complete cleaning, it would sometime leak and cause embarrasing odor later in the day.

I had the surgery two days ago. read my post above. Mostly, i am glad it is "behind me" but would like the next two weeks to pass quickly.
|
Users who thank jay_jay for this post: b0b0t 

replied September 3rd, 2008
Jay_Jay,
I too am a sufferer of hemorrhoids and leakage. My leakage happens after a BM and has gotten to a point that it causes itching and burning sensation. It has become quite unbearable. Anyhow, I wanted to know how you are doing since having the surgery. Has the leakage improved as well?
Thanks,
Buckeye
|

replied September 6th, 2008
you have a private message
I gave a pretty detailed answer as to what happened.
|

replied February 25th, 2009
anal leakage solution
I have the same problem, the leakage started after the hemorrhoids surgery. I wash after each bowl motion, but the leakage continues for few hours then stops, it will starts after the next motion. I had found a workable solution: I use a small piece (cut) from thin female pads rolled into a small short stick. I place this against my anus (not inside), and replace it few times a day as and when needed. I found this solution gets ride of the smell and itching.
|

replied March 31st, 2012
Smell from rectum
what kind of smell is it?
|

replied July 31st, 2009
Noticing the same - Please Help!!!!
I noticed that no one has given a solution to this problem and only PRAY that someone does soon as I had the most embarrassing problem happen when anal leakage happened at my boyfriends on his leather couch (thank God it wipes off)! It was like someone turned a faucet on! Thankfully, there was not odor or color with the leakage, but it looked like I had urinated just the same! Please, help. How does one get rid of this totally? I have tried pads, haemorrhoid wipes, suppositories, etc. and nothing has helped with the discomfort and leakage. I don't have health insurance to even go to the doctor for something better. What is a person to do???
|

replied January 29th, 2012
Anal Leakage
Try using an anti-inflamatory cream. Reducing the swelling will help to reduce the leakage. Not a complete fix but it will help decrease it. Good luck.
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
i have gone to the doctor, gastroenterologist, and anorectal doctor. I'm still in the process but no solution thus far.
fiber helps some, diet changes must be made and you must lose weight.
unfortunately the average doctor is not much help so we all must search for a solution
|

replied August 10th, 2009
I also have the same problem but i also have constipation turning to diarhea and back again. For the last half hour I have been having blood also leaking from my anal area.
|

replied August 11th, 2009
There is medication that can alleviate some of these symptoms. However, I am not going to discuss these as I am not here to give medical advice. If anyone has blood in their stool, I say RUN to the Doctor right away and have it checked out as soon as possible. There are many excellent doctors out there who can help. If your Doctor has NOT helped you with the "leakage" issue, move on, and find one that can.
|

replied March 29th, 2011
fml
Oh yeah just keep switching doctors... 10 bills later your a broke bum shitting yourself. I've been to plenty and I think the reason I leak is because my doctors have their head up MY ass, but i have found a "solution" make a list of foods you eat over the day and see which make you feel symptoms. simply stay away from those foods and for some people this should help. Honestly though I'm still struggling myself. good luck everyone
|

replied August 11th, 2009
leakage and some blood
Why is this a reason to find a different doctor?
|

replied August 25th, 2009
hi jay_jay

can you please show where your detailed info on after-the-surgery? i was recommended a while ago for it - and very hesitant and scared.

thank you.
|

replied November 16th, 2011
I had the infra red coagulation done at a hemmroid center.....it was GREAT!! no pain.....could do normal activities.....you do have to go 3-4 times depending on how bad your internal hemmroids are-they only treat 1 of the 3 areas at a time and some need 2 treatments....I went 4 times for the internal and have one external still to go back for. It was the right choice for me and I was a pretty severe case. Read up on it and find a center near you. I would recommend over traditional methods I had suggested by other doctors too.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Yoga has exercises for the anal sphincter. It's similar to kegels for the female organs but for the anus. When I was younger this seemed really strange but as an adult with issues "down there". I can see where working on the sphincter muscles make sense--tight sphincter will reduce leagage and prevent hemorrhoids from prolapsing--and if done early on probably would prevent hemorrhoids all together. I wouldn't discuss these exercises with the aerobics instructor at the gym, but there a many books that will discuss the look for Mula Bandha. An advanced yoga instructor or an ashram would be very familiar--possibly an ayurvedic praticioner.
|

replied September 29th, 2009
Hi,

I have a Solution for this Problem.

As I am facing the same for the last 1 year but now no more.
I am completely fine now.

1. Drink 3-4 Litres of water everyday (not more than that as it has an adverse effects on Kidneys.This will help to remove the harmful toxins.

2. Try to Pass the stools twice a days regularly ( morning and evening)

3. This problem is either due to fissure, fistula or Leaky Gut Syndrome. Avoid any antibiotics if u r thinking u have Leaky gut.

4. Dont feel stress.Do jogging regularly for 20 minutes in the morning.

5. If u have fissures, fistula better to go for homopathic treatment rather than alopathy as they suggest most antibiotics which kills the friendly bacteria in the intestines also.

6. Regularly take Providac Capsules(Probiotic), 1-1-1 first month, 1-0-1, second month and 0-0-1 third month.

7. Avoid sugars, Alcohol, smoking, tea, coffee.

8. Take Lemon water, butter milk.

9. Take curd in the afternoon but not in the night.

10. Take a high fiber diet.

11. Avoid Pizza, Burgers,ice creams etc.

12. Take Himalaya Neem capsules for 1 month (1-0-1), Himalaya Tripahala (0-0-1) for 1.5 months (dont take if u have diaherra), take raw garlic ragularly (in the evening 1-2 pieces only) for one month or you can take Himalaya Lasuna Capsules (1-0-1).But raw garlic is more beneficial.

13. If you are taking any antibiotics stop taking that as it kills the gud bacteria and always avoid to take antibiotics.In case you have to take, always take probiotics along along with antibiotics for one week.

14. Dont skip the breakfast. DO a healthy breakfast.

15. Regularly listen to the soothing music for 15 minutes

16. Apply Xylocaine ointment inside your anus for 2 weeks if u have slightly yellowish discharge.

DO this exercise for 2-3 months and see the results.

Please also give the feedback about your conditions also.
|

replied October 11th, 2009
Hemorrhoids and anal leakage This is what works for me. Charcoal Tablets available from most chemists. The charcoal obsurbs the odour. If i am going out say 6pm I take four the night before. 4 the next morning. Problem solved. I do not take them all the time as i am not sure if it is safe to. But i have been told by my doctor it is ok on certain occasions. To me they have been a life saver and saved me so much embarrasement. My doctor said the main cause of leakage is constirpation. Hope i have been of some help
|

replied October 13th, 2009
I had this condition for a while also and was misdiagnosed as it being some food that needed to be eliminated. After much of my own research I am about 99% sure I have gluten-intolerance and that caused malabsorption of my food which led to my leaky anus. I thought it was some fish-oil capsules I had began taking not long before the problem arose, but the arrogant doctor said that had nothing to do with it. BULL! My body was not absorbing a lot of things properly because of the gluten-intolerance; it was really beginning to affect my health. I was losing weight for no good reason that I had no reason to lose. My body was not getting nutrients fro a nutrient rich diet. I had strep throat twice in 2 months after not having it once in my then 50 years.
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
SILVER BULLET
this will do wonders. simple easy. cant speak for people who are eating fried chicken and pringles all day and drinking and eating spicy food at every turn. i believed i had a problem with digesting fructose which is in about everything--soda, certain fruits. and i still do but now all in moderation. the answer is:

YOGURT! the bacteria help you digest things properly! gets your bowels moving right. less gas, less leakage. throw some granola, cereal, fiber on top and you got your self a delicious snack and all kinds of friendly probiotic friends to help you. TRY IT. ITS EASY. CHEAP. EAT YOGURT EVERY MORNING THE SIMPLE NON FLAVORED KIND. GREEK PLAIN YOGURT IS GREAT. EVEN LACTOSE INTOLERANT PPL LIKE MYSLELF. THOSE MICROBES GET CONVERT LACTOSE TO LACTIC ACID. YIPPEE

read for yourself:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ibs-diet/ AN01346
|

replied December 27th, 2009
Success!!!
I had a similar problem for a few months. I was desperate to find some kind of help. After reading this forum, I noticed that several folks mentioned gluten (chicagobill, etc.)

I did some research and found that gluten intolerance can cause a build-up of unhelpful bacteria in the intestines.

Cutting out gluten (wheat products, rye, oats, etc.) and taking a probiotic once a day has cured my problems. YAY! It's difficult to avoid wheat, but it can be done with a little patience.

It took about a week for me to see results. I also made a few mistakes because wheat is in things like soy sauce and tortillas. (I miss burritos, but I'm learning to love tacos on a corn tortilla.)

Good luck!
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Anal leakage and stomach cramps
Changing the diet is an absolute must, drink plenty of water(no soda's or anything carbonated which causes excessive gas) stay away from fried anything,keep a food diary, write everything down, you may find out that simple saltines cause you to bloat and feel irritable which could be an intolerance to dairy, start a healthy food promise, eat healthy fats like avocados, eat a high fiber breakfast light non fried lunch and a simple dinner atleast 3 hours before bedtime, do not eat a huge meal than go to bed, the acids and digestive agents work better at night if they're not so impacted with grease and icky, also see the DR. Only change Dr.s if you feel he isnt taking care of you. Most of the time it's diet and simple exercise, if your a woman Kegels (when using the bathroom, stop the flow about 10 times during 2 or 3 of your bathroom visits. If your a man simple squats and some yoga or pilates may help build. Stay as stress free as you can, if you find yourself stressed more often than happy this may be what you need to talk to your Dr. about. Sometimes These symptoms can mean, IBS, Crohns Disease,IFBD, which is were the bowel becomes inflamed..all these can be controlled with diet, avoiding stress. heres a list of NO-NO's...coffee, diet soda, reg. soda, Gum, cheese (except goat cheese) spicy or ethnic foods. Overload of lentils, onions, milk, (use silk or lactaid), icecream, avoid smoking too, it can cause all sorts of stomach and anal issues. alcohol..is a def. nono..If you have been taking over the counter meds like pepto it will turn your BM's black, which some would say is blood it is not.. See the doc, start a diary, eliminate nonsense food, avoid stress, smile and laugh, over stressing about something could trigger an episode. WEll I hope this helps someone if you would like more info just post it here..L
|

replied June 16th, 2011
Anal leak /abdominal pain/ gas
Hi All,

Finally I got over this problem after a long time. witht he help of an alternative medicine guy. Anyway, he gave me a special diet, vitamins and other supliment. With his guidance I am free of it after less than 3 months. With his permission I am givinging you his email. good luck
|

replied November 14th, 2011
hi there could you give me alternative medicine guy. email. tryed everything Anal leak will not stop please help
|
Quick Reply