Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Breech baby

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
ok, my 26wk ultrasound said baby was breech. I know it's nothing to be concerned with this early, but I was wondering if laying down all the time has something to do with it? They say gravity takes over and the head falls, but gravity can only take over that way if you are upright, right?

ok what I'm asking is is it bad to lay down all the time if you have a breech baby?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i doubt laying down would have anything to do with it. and, anyway it wouldn't matter if you're breach at 26 weeks. i was transverse throughout all my pregnancy with william until he dropped, when he actually turned head down. nearer the end of pregnancy your baby will move to the position he/she will be in for labour
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I hope so Very Happy thanks
|

Especially eHealthy
I laid down a lot with this pregnancy, && with my 1st, and both were/are head down!

Your bebe still has LOTS of time to turn!! They like to turn at the last second too! LOL!

Do you have any more ultrasounds after this one?? If not, you could always request one to see the position of your baby (once you get further along!)

They can always do a version if s/he DOESN'T flip!

Sarah
|

Especially eHealthy
Oh, and think about the ladies that are put on manditory bed rest...and they have vaginal births!

Try not to stress...even though I can feel your pain!! I was PETRIFIED of a breech baby with this pregnancy!!!! Don't know why....

Sarah
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
They never said anything about another u/s, probably because everything was 'normal'. I REALLY want another one because they weren't sure of the sex!!

I'm not stressing about it, I know they like to turn at the last minute, but I also heard them manually turning the baby is dangerous and painful. Oh well, I guess everything in pregnancy is painful huh? especially toward the end!

I just really don't want to end up having a c-section JUST because it's breech. I don't think that's selfish. I'll gladly have one if me and/or baby is in danger.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
In birthing class they reccommend you spend as little time as possible in a reclined position, laying down is fine, but in a semi reclined positioin the baby is least stimulated to go head-down. Some things you can do are spend a lot o time leaned over on somthing high, like your kitchen counter. If you are talking to someone, lean over on the counter, kind of on your elbows to help make this a comfortable position. Pelvic rocks donw on all-fours twice per day can help maneuver the child into a headfirst position. Yoga for pregnant women is a really great thing to do. Not only does it help to open the pelvic outlet, strengthen the muscles for labor, teach good breathing skills, help with mental focus, the movements also help to encourage a head first presentation. Squatting is a good thing to lear to do for extended periods of time. you may wish to labor and even deliver the baby in this position, but it can be a difficult position to hold for long periods without practice. I hope this helps. You do have some time for baby to turn and that's awesome! These things can help to encourage this. Very best of luck.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
My mom had me breech and natural vaginal birth too! I was her 2nd born, came out bottom first and my legs were up next to my ears lol! Some breech births can be complicated and it seems these days... Dr.s do w/e they can to speed up labor and delivery. I wouldnt worry though because you still have a ways to go and baby will prolly rotate by then.Smile I head that getting on all fours and rocking back and fourth helps turn a breech baby, but don't count on it, was something I read randomly on the computer.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I think I'll try the all-fours thing because I really want a natural childbirth and that sounds comfy, lol. Thank You!!
|