Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gallbladder Sludge

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
hi I am new here, but wanted to see if anyone has been told they have sludge in their gallbladder. I have had horrible indigestion for nearly 2 months and very little I can eat. I basically eat rice cakes, soda crackers, and some soup each day. Seems anything else makes it much worse, plus I am down 34 pounds since Thanksgiving from not being able to eat much.

At first the indigestion was so bad it was shooting my bloodpressure way up, but that has settled down, but still not a day goes by that I don't have indigestion.

Thought I was feeling better a week or so ago, so I had a scrambled egg for dinner, that was a mistake, had a major gallbladder attack that nite.

Everyday I have tenderness or some sort of pain in the gallbladder area. And other than running a mess of blood tests, the only other test I have had is a ultrasound and that is how they found this sludge.

I take Aciphex for the indigestion and ativan and paxil for the anxiety and panic attacks I have had from the beginning. At first they thought that the anxiety was just flooding my body with acid which was causing this, not that I don't think this has something to do with it.

At times I get so much indigestion in my chest that I feel that I have asthma and that makes me feel uncomfortable. Along with the pains in the stomach area and intestines.

Can sludge cause all this? Oh also I did go on Ursodiol to try to clean the sludge out, but after 5 days the Dr told me to stop taking it, that it wasn't working.

Anyway tomorrow I have an appointment with a surgeon to see what can be done here. But honestly I have to say that reading some of the posts here on the forum, I find it kinda scary if these doctors know what they are doing or not.

Any input would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks
Rhia
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper flcherrybomb
|

replied January 21st, 2008
Hi,

I haven't been diagnosed yet but I think I have a diseased gallbladder and maybe some sludge problems. I had an ultrasound which showed no stones but have had some other symptoms that otherwise point that way as well as a family history.

Some 'natural' things that can help move the gallbladder can be found by searching (major sites) on 'gallbladder diet'. In addition to foods to avoid, like EGGS, it will show you what's good to eat.

Of the good foods, I've tried beets (jarred w/out sugar added) ; milk thistle ; and olive oil (in place of other fats). I'm not talking about doing a flush, I've never tried that, but those same items are often used for that. I'm just saying along with my regular food I substituted or ate those items at various times daily. I also have been eating apples regularly. For me, It definitely seemed to help me get by some of the bad times, the beets especially. If you have stones then moving stuff around could make things worse, but, with sludge if you can keep it moving/thinned out, in theory it shouldn't be too bad. That's what the GBDiet foods are supposed to do.

For the indigestion you can also try DGL Licorice pills (20mins before eating) and/or whatever your doc prescribes. I also tried Mastic Gum pills which supposedly help restore the stomach lining and seemed to make me feel better. The stomach / indigestion problems took a few weeks to get better, and taking pepcid AC was at least helpful right away. The other food / suppliments seemed to keep it from coming back as bad as first but, I'm still learning so who knows. I understand eventually it will get worse anyway, but, it's really a no win (when it' sout you have to watch foods still) so doing what I can to live healthy with it before it has to go I guess.

Good luck!
|

replied January 25th, 2008
Me too...
I had the same thing, last year around this time..... After several months, and only finding a "sludgey" gallbladder, they opted to remove my gallbladder. I feel much better than I did initially, but I still don't feel myself. There are many things I can eat again and several items I stear clear of. The acid reducers they prescribed me (I tried them all) never worked well and in fact gave me many side effects.

I would say good luck, but also that it does get better.
|

replied January 29th, 2008
Options?
Hey guys I have been suffering from gallbladder pains, back pains, heartburn, etc since November. A small polyp was found in my gallbladder. When I first researched polyps what I found was that they weren't suppose to cause symptoms. The doctors around here seem to only want to do surgery, but I am terrified it will just make me worse from all the forums I have read of other peoples problems.
I am going to try some supplements to help the gallbladder contract and thin out the sludge. I ordered some, and am taking the ones I already have. I just started today. They are: Vit C, lecithin, fish oil, taurine and IP6 rice bran. I am waiting to get the last two.
Also, it is suppose to make the gallbladder worse if you don't eat any fat. It needs to be contracting. Saturated fats are not a good choice though. Also exercise is suppose to help, so if I feel well enough I try and walk on our treadmill for a bit. I am really hoping this works because I don't want chronic health problems for the rest of my life. I am determined to fight this!
|

replied January 30th, 2008
Let me know how the Fish Oil and Lecithin works out for you. I've been tempted to try them but haven't yet. Fish oil I read is supposed to reduce inflamation (among other benefits) and Lecithin is supposed to help the cholesterol mix with the fat in bile so its 'consistent' and easier to pass, and therefore reduce the risk of stones. I'n not sure either of them thin out the mix but both should be good in any case.

I've also read that having the GB out is not always the cureall and you would still have to watch your diet either way. So, if you aren't experiencing pains then it might be to your benefit to try some diet alternatives before surgery. Of course, the story goes that the GB only gets worse over time, but, that time can be many years for some people.
|

replied January 30th, 2008
Hi there eihcet! I am feeling better today. I'm not in as much pain, but I still have a lot of nausea.
Yesterday with every meal I took 2 caps of lecithin, 1,000 mg of fish oil, 1000 mg Vit C and 400 mg of magnesium. The magnesium is suppose to help the muscles relax and not spasm so much. I am also eating apples. The malic acid in them is suppose to help.
I had very severe symptoms last week and ended up going to the emergency room. They did blood tests and a cat scan to make sure it wasn't my appendix.
I've got other symptoms as well which seem to be a side effect of the gallbladder not working properly such as dizziness and shakyness, blurred vision, feeling weak, a low fever, chills, cold hands and feet, cold most of the time actually.
Today I don't feel cold however. I was wondering if the Vit C had something to do with helping that.. Maybe my inflammation is going down. Could be the fish oil too, like you said.
My docotor told me that I would not be able to get better without surgery.
I happen to believe that it is possible to reverse at least some gallbladder diseases, if they are caught in time. I have spent hours and hours looking up every possible source I could find, just so I can help myself. I am a 38 yr old mom of 5 and that has motivated me quite a bit. That and the fact that I hate being sick and am not willing to accept the risks of surgery/ loss of gallbladder when it includes a risk for bowel cancer, weight gain, chronic diarrhea etc.
I will only do the surgery if it becomes a life/death situation. As long as my life is not at risk, I will try and reverse my gallbladder disease.
When I was first misdiagnosed, they told me I had an ulcer and I tried the mastic gum. It did seem to help my stomach. It also seemed to help my dry nose.
But when the symptoms became worse, we were able to pin point the pain on my upper right abdomen, just under my ribs and when the doctor examined me and "felt my gallbladder" we were both sure that was the culprit. Then, the ultrasound showed 2 small polyps, the larger one being 2mm in size. Most doctors will say that polyps do not cause symptoms. Another person told me that it was the sludge in my gallbladder causing it to not beable to contract properly, resulting in spasms, and all the rest of the symptoms. I seem to have all of them. The only one I don't really have is chest pain.
I was fine not that long ago. I was trying to lose weight and went on a pretty much no fat diet which for a few months. I am highly suspicious this has contributed to my problem.
I am hopeful this regimen will work for me and if it does, it would be great if it could help someone else to save their gallbladder.
|

replied September 24th, 2011
Gallbladder Disease Is Serious !!!!
Most of the time dr's dont know if its a life or death situation till they get in there ...My cousin had hers removed several months ago,showed nothing on labs,scans,ultrasounds or any other test you can do. When the dr decided to do surgery he said her gallbladder had already turned into gangreen and another person I talked with yesterday said she had her tests come back neg as well ,when the dr did surgery hers was completely rotten this is when it can turn cancerous. I highly recommend anyone not play with this in doing so you are playing with your life and personally I have too much to live for by doing that.
|

replied February 6th, 2008
Gallbladder Sludge
thats why i had to have my Gallbladder removed it was packed with sludge it was from antibiotic use everytime i used antibiotics i used to have to run to the bathroom all the time because greenish-yellow bile would pour out of me after about 6 month later i was in intense pain went to the er and they told me it was packed with sludge i know it was from the antibiotic use now8 months later i have a ton of right flank pain off and on since it was removed but within the last week it has been there everyday now also with some back pain on that side to.
|

replied February 6th, 2008
Hi msthec1. I am sorry for the troubles you've had with the gallbladder and pain. It is very hard on a person, physically and emotionally.
Do you think that if you tried some supplements to help your liver it might help you feel better?
I have read that people who have had the surgery to have their gallbladders removed should be taking bile salts or enzymes to help digest fats and do liver cleanse and herbs to support the liver.
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2009
GallBladder relief!
I went a number of years being told I had acid reflux and also pancreas diseases. Then one night five years ago I became violently ill, spending the entire night in the restroom. I was a pale grayish green color and had terrible diarrhea, vomiting and severe abdominal pains. I couldn't even stand up straight! When my room mate woke up in the morning she took one look at me and said, "gallbladder!" I told her it was the flu, lol. Long story short, I ended up with emergency surgery, a week in the hospital because my duodenum was attached to my gallbladder and so everything had to come out, be separated, cleaned and put back in and I was told they had never seen a gallbladder that full of stones! Ended up making a huge incision and doing a major surgery. I asked what kind of diet I needed and the doctor said I could eat anything I wanted, lol, depends on how much sleep I wanted to get. I now rarely become sick from heart burn or anything. I stick to a modified heart smart/diabetic diet with way low fats, no sugar and 1200 to 1500 calories a day. Ii need to add that I am a cancer survivor, have diabetes, high blood pressure and thyroid disease among other problems. Much of my diet is for my overall health but it seems to work well for the gall bladder also. Drink lots and lots of water and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, nothing fried and only small amounts of lean meat.

Now, I have a question, does anyone know if having polyps in your gall bladder can in anyway affect your spleen? My daughter n law has an inflammation in her chest/heart membranes and just found out that they found polyps in her gall bladder AND her spleen is way enlarged. I have a suspicion that it is all connected somehow. Any advice would be appreciated!
|

replied April 21st, 2009
Just Heal of Gallbladder Sludge
Hi fellow,
There was an adage that say "Experience is the best teacher",I was just heal of this painful abdominal sludge that lasted me barely a week on admission bed.
On the course of the diagnosis, no stones nor anything was seen but what the Doc's said was sludge;cos the pain was so excruciating in the middle part of my stomach and very close to my liver and diaprhagm.
I was placed on antibacteria injection through the drip.
I will not lie you; i got lean and look pale during the period.
But thank God today no surgery, but the doc's told me to avoid Oily and fried food not often but I should be conscious ofit.
And I suggest you should take more fruit in an empty stomach for quick recovery

Thanks
Yinka.A.O
|