Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

coughing up white phlegm (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I have been coughing a lot for the past 2 months and when I cough, I cough up some thick white phelm that looks sort of like mozarella cheese (not to sound disgusting) but it bothers me to think that there might be something wrong with me! At times my chest hurts and when all i do is cough by the next day my whole front hurts! Any idea what this may be??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper WasMAover20yrs
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2008
Supporter
Have you gotten an x-ray taken? Generally the first step is to diagnose a condition. Then you can learn about its treatment. Might be bronchitis. Could be a respiratory infection. Maybe related to the lungs....but you'll never know until you visit a doctor. Can you do that?
|

Well I have an appointment on the 31st but I thought someone out there might have gone thru the same thing and can give me a heads up! I dont like hospital or doctors, they scare me and I didnt want to get bad news or anything like that. but yeah I am going the end of this months to my doctor!!!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Could be an asthmatic condition but more likely an infection. Have you not had any antibiotics? Do you feel generally ill?

Don't worry about the x-ray - it is the simplest thing and they will be unlikely to give you any results - good or bad - on the day. Just get the thing done as a lingering chest infection can become more serious than it need.
|

replied January 23rd, 2008
Confused The thing is that It comes and goes. I am fine for about 2 weeks than for a week Im coughing up this stuff, than it will go away for 2 weeks and than comes back! I do kind of feel short of breath but nothing that scares me, just that its annoying when Im sleeping and all I do is cough and cough and cough! But I will let you know what happen after my appointment! thank you all for your reply!
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2008
Supporter
After reading your last post, I am sticking firmly with asthma! You will probably get inhalers to relieve the coughing and will feel fine afterwards.
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Sounds good, JP ... let us know the diagnosis!
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2008
Supporter
Any update on a diagnosis or treatment?
|

replied February 19th, 2009
white phelm
This does not mean you are asthmatic. Its a viral infection and therfore does not require antibiotics but usually steroids. Speak to a doctor or even your chemist for advice.
|

replied May 29th, 2009
soo....
Sooo what was the outcome.........
|

replied December 19th, 2009
IgA levels and allergy related lung mucus
I know what you're saying, I had bronchitis, yellow phlegm for 3 months, 4 course of antibiotics, then this white phlegm like having lungs full of webby gunk and coughing like heck all night to not feel like I'm drowning. I'm awaiting my results too. One possibility is allergy with autoimmune problems following treatment for infection. I have primary immune deficiency and in that I'd previously been allergic to my own candida so after antibiotics its possible such an allergy is producing this muck in my lung. Good luck with your results but do get them to test your blood levels of IgA.
|

replied October 11th, 2011
I have had this thick white phlegm in the back of my throat for two years. I went to my doctor and he gave me medication and I realized that this was not getting to the bottom of the problem. I went on line and someone said they had the same thing and that it was caused by an allergy to something. I discovered that for me it was wheat.
As soon as I left wheat out of my diet, the phlegm went away. I am SO much better now, hope this helps someone.
|

replied February 7th, 2010
Oh boy! I've had the same thing, only mine doesn't seem to go away. Just gets worse. I started out with dark brown phlegm from nose, coughing until all my body hurt! After 8 months and several rounds of antibiotics, sterioids, albuterol from an atomize and nebulizer, allergy meds, chest X-ray, etc., phlegm is white but is so thick I'm coughing it up when I've never done that before! I feel like I'm choking to death sometimes, and cough sometimes until I lose my breath. Has anyone had a diagnosis? My doctor seems stumped.
|

replied March 4th, 2010
god bless u all.....!!!!
i hope whoever has a problem jst gets well soon...
wellwisher!
Smile
|

replied March 4th, 2010
dont worry !
god bless u all.....!!!!
i hope whoever has a problem jst gets well soon...
wellwisher!
Smile
|

replied March 14th, 2010
coughing up white phlem
I'm coughing up the same stuff and have been for weeks. It started with a sinus infection and the flu. To dry up my sinuses, I started taking half of a zinc supplement at night and it really helps. It has caused the cough to lessen so I can sleep a little and getting some sleep is helping me get better. Right now I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer because I get sick every single February that I'm in Utah. Every one!
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2010
Coughing up white phlegm
I seem to get this every spring...done the antibiotics...nothing....inhaled meds seem to work, but the day I don't take them, its right back. I cough like a pack a day smoker and have never smoked in my life!
I have my suspicions its related to petrol pollution.
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2010
Julie, I have been doing the exact same thing for months.So I visted my ear nosr throat Dr. You won't believe what he came up with!!! Acid reflux Yes I thought How the heck does that go with coughing.
After all, The medication he gave me. Helps alot.Dexilant 60mg
But Im still coughing this crap up three weeks later.
he told me not to eat nuts, or ice cream. Thats like telling me to starve Heeeee. Kathy Please let me know what youre out come was.
|

replied July 21st, 2010
consider nutrition
To everyone on this site...I have been coughing up mucus as well...that's why I'm reading your posts. I do plan to see a doctor, but if it turns out to be nothing medical, I am going to have to do an in depth nutritional analysis to find the root. Phlegm is a response to something. Your body is trying to tell you something; the phlegm is an immune response (stressing the immune system can lead to other problems). Sometimes the root is in nutrition. I have found, through experience with my older daughter, that nutrition plays a huge role--a much bigger role than anyone would guess--in how our bodies function. This is why medical doctors don't have all the answers. Whenever my kids or I get sick--really sick with something that doctors can't find an answer to--I turn to nutrition. And when I say nutritionist...I don't mean dietician. I mean a very good, medically trained (can read stool/blood/hair tests) nutritionist. They are not easy to find, so do your research. Dana Laake is a fabulous nutritionist in Maryland and she does do phone consults. She's expensive, but extremely good.
|

replied August 14th, 2010
I too am coughing up white phlegm. I am currently 28 wks pregnant. I got sick about a month ago with a bad head & chest cold for about a week and a half, but the cough never went away. My chest hurts at night sometimes while Im sleeping and I cough more at night. My 2 yr. old had the same cold and same cough, I took her to the doctor and she was given antibiotics for an ear infection, the doctor thought her cough was asthma. After taking the antibiotics her cough is gone, it wasnt asthma. I went to the doctor and was given z pack and have finished and it hasnt helped at all. Could it be asthma if Im coughing up phlegm? or maybe viral? I plan to see my GP soon. I was given antibiotics from my OB.
|

replied August 14th, 2010
I too am coughing up white phlegm. I am currently 28 wks pregnant. I got sick about a month ago with a bad head & chest cold for about a week and a half, but the cough never went away. My chest hurts at night sometimes while Im sleeping and I cough more at night. My 2 yr. old had the same cold and same cough, I took her to the doctor and she was given antibiotics for an ear infection, the doctor thought her cough was asthma. After taking the antibiotics her cough is gone, it wasnt asthma. I went to the doctor and was given z pack and have finished and it hasnt helped at all. Could it be asthma if Im coughing up phlegm? or maybe viral? I plan to see my GP soon. I was given antibiotics from my OB.
|
Quick Reply