Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Extreme burning in urethra when dehydrated (Page 1)

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
This has been going on since I was 4 years old. I've gone to doctors, had a camera in my bladder and taken medications.

The problem is, whenever I don't drink water for an hour or so, my bladder/urethra begins to feel uncomfortable, and then burns. If I go to the bathroom then, it still burns while I urinate and after I finish. This is a constant. 24/7, this happens.

The ONLY way I have ever been able to not have this pain is by consistently drinking a lot of water throughout the day. If I go for an hour or two and forget to drink water, it starts to burn. This is especially difficult when I'm at work, because obviously I can't drink water every five minutes.

It is not a UTI, and it is not a problem with bladder infection. It is directly linked to the amount of water I drink, and therefore how diluted the urine is. The only thing I can think of is that the tissue of my urethra is hyper-sensitive and easily irritated by concentrated uric acid.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper 5050
|

replied January 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you ever been checked to see how much uric acid you produce (24 hour urine test and blood test)?

Did the doctor mention if your tissue was red and irritated when he/she did the cystoscopy?

Are the doctors giving you any indication of what this might be?

I will do some research in the books I have and see if I come up with anything.

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a little more info to help get an answer for you.
pm me if you'd want to.
If it is linked to the uric acid there is medication to reduce the uric acid which might
be helpful for you.

I know how frustrating it is not to get an answer and having to suffer.
Take Care Smile
|

replied January 20th, 2008
RE: Butterfly6169
No, I've never been checked. My doctor never even mentioned it.

He said everything looked normal on the exam.

My doctor prescribed me Flomax (which helps loosen the sphincter, something I didn't need) and than said if that didn't help, he couldn't help me. So I stopped going to that doctor.

I definitely know it is linked to the concentration of the urine, and the only thing I can think that would make it burn is the uric acid. If there are pills for that, it would be awesome! Do you know what they are called?

Thank you!
|

replied January 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi

If it is high levels of uric acid the medications are the same as gout medications or the med's for kidney stones such as Urocit-K, (gout med's- Allopurinol or Probenecid to name a few.
Do you get kidney stones or suffer from joint pain?
Those are indications of high uric acid levels. I would ask the doctor to run some tests to check your uric acid level.

Let me know how you are doing. Smile
|

replied January 22nd, 2008
I've never had kidney stones that I know of. The only joint pain I suffer is in my lower back- not the kidneys, the spine itself.

Thank you for telling me about this avenue of inquiry- I'll let you know what the doctor says.
|

replied January 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You're Welcome..Smile

When do you see the doctor?
|

replied January 28th, 2008
Not for another week or so. My schedule is hectic Smile
|

replied January 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Keep us posted..I hope all goes well for you...Smile
|

replied January 30th, 2008
Hi. I have the same problem. I'm a 22 year old female. I was treated twice for UTI but the symptoms came back and the exams showed there was no infection. The doctors don't know what I have. Water is my only saviour.
When my bladder is empty I have pain, burning sensation and urgency to pee all the time. I then drink 4 or 5 cups of water and wait for it to fill up again. When it fills up, the pain stops. If I stop drinking water for a long time, the next time i pee will be more painful. So I have to keep the water coming in 24/7.

If someone knows what this is please say something.
|
Users who thank zupidupi for this post: Froggie11 

replied February 5th, 2008
It sounds like Interstitial Cystitis.
It's realy hard to diagnose. It took many doctors and many years for me to be diagnosed. Can you see a Urogynocologist? I have other links I can share if you think you might have it. One thin you can do, regardless of what it is, is to stop eating anything with dyes or high acid content and see if that helps. Tomatoes and orange juice and soda are the worst. I have more info but this is a "personel" condition and I don't know how much I can say on this forum. Email me.
|
Users who thank tialia for this post: Froggie11 

replied April 30th, 2008
me too...
I have the same problem. Have you found any more information about it?
|

replied February 13th, 2009
Any results from this?
I have had the same issue for several years now. I was checked for UTI and STDs, but both tests were negative. Only drinking water helps. Did any one ever figure out what this is, or how to cure it?
|

replied February 13th, 2009
my solution
for me, it was a problem with the vitamins i was taking. i was taking a prenatal multivitamin and fiber pills. when i stopped taking both, the symptoms stopped. it might be worth looking into what supplements/medications/foods you're taking.
|

replied February 24th, 2009
I have a similar problem
When I don't drink anythign for an hour I start to feel sore in my intimate area. I have been tested for STI's and it came out negative. If I do not drink alot of water for a few days the soreness turns into an urinary infection and one time I peed out red urine. I have not let it get to an infection for the past few months as I realised that drinking helps settle it.

Doctors have not been helpful to me and just told me that when you do not drink water your urine is concentrated and will naturally burn, however its not my urine that burns its the intimate area, and I'm sure this is not a normal condition that everyone who forgets to drink water for 2 hours gets.
|

replied March 13th, 2009
partial solution
try over the counter AZO. this will relieve the symptoms, but turns you urine orange. a friend recomended it for a family member and as long as they take it the symptoms go away, but they still come back after stopping.
|

replied March 15th, 2009
Solution
Has anyone been cured for this problem? I realise this post if quite old and I am interested to know if a solution for the illness has been found.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
Well I have discovered it is what you eat A-LOT, I can't EAT oranges, I started eating oranges because I recently got a cold, and I bought the really sweet ones, so I noticed every year at this time of year I feel like this. I get the burning, uncomfortable, not having to pee but feeling, like you want to....and yes it feels better if you hold your urine then let it out, because then you have this annoying almost unbearable MISERABLE tingling unexplainable feeling in your urethra, I actually had thought perhaps I was just imagining the pain and becoming a little over worrying about it, BUT NO, I have came to the conclusion it is ORANGES, I eat Oranges in the winter and a-lot of em and apparently that lowers your acid in your urine and makes it a play ground for bateria, and throws the PH off and all sorts of stuff, however, once I stop eating them and drink lots of water and cranberry juice, the REAL cranberry juice and let my bladder get back to normal, it is gone....I hope this might be of some help. The very gross way I figured this out was from eating CRISPY CRUNCH cereal and I notice how i could really smell it in my urine, then I got thinking.....hmmm they say what you eat you do go through your urine and think how oranges burn your hands and sting in a cut, I dunno however look into any foods that can bother the bladder..........worth a shot, take care good luck!
|

replied March 25th, 2009
There is also a specific solution called U.T.I solution to drink and I know it isn't a U.T.I, but sometimes it is just the whole bladder getting all the PH levels mixed up and this drink can actually help your urine get on tract and stuff, also perfumes and chlorine AVOID CHLORINE that is a real wicked one on me, and also bleached pads, toilet paper, tampons, etc. this can all play a factor in this torment, it is actually irritation and soap no baths, if you live in the city certain times of the year they put more chlorine in the city water, so avoid long really hot showers to aggravate the area......just some tips....
|

replied March 29th, 2009
Experienced User
urethra, burning and irritation
I too have a burning in the urethra at times, but more of an irritation now. I found that I was more acidic than alkaline. My ph was off. I now eat more alkaline foods than acid ones and eat very, very little sugar. I drink water that contains minerals also. When I do this,I no longer feel any burning or irritation, but if I overdo acidic foods or a little too much sugar...it's back. To check your acid, buy ph strips at a health food store and check your urin with them. These will tell you if your ph is off or not.
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
my solution
I took the advice of another person on this thread and stopped taking my daily multivitamin. I have not had the problem since. However, my problem started before I was taking a daily multivitamin, so I think there may be other causes (dehydration, stress, alcohol, sex, certain foods, etc... or a combination of them). But until I have the symptoms again, I am going to say it was the multivitamins.
|