Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

when to start cereals and juice? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
so at what age can you start givig a baby juice/infant cereals and foods? what age did you begin to give it to your babies?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 18th, 2008
Supporter
Dallas just turned 5 months and I started giving him juice. The doctor gave me the OK to start cereal at 4 months and I did. They say 4-6 months for cereal and baby food.

How old is Kristen now?
|

Especially eHealthy
shes 7 weeks
so i was just wondering when she could start on stuff like this Very Happy
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I started cereal at about 4 months with both my kids. I didn't start juice until later on because there isn't as much nutrients as there is in formula. And when I did give them juice it was diluted so it was easier on their tummies. I think they were 9 or 10 months maybe, not 100% on that. It may have even been longer. you know your getting lod when you start forgetting..lol

I kept them on cereal for a while to get them used to eating than I went on to try veggies and than fruits.

You are gonna have fun Suzy.....I love giving them something new to try to see their reaction. Smile
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
val started cereal at about 2 monthes, but thats ONLY because of her reflux, if she didnt have that i would have waited until at least 6 monthes, i waited until 6 monthes for baby food though, and juice, but she only gets a tiny tiny amount a juice with a bunch of water in a sippy maybe once a day

~alicia~
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Most doctors give you the ok for cereal around 4-5 months and everywhere I have heard has said no earlier then 6 months for juice (very diluted!)

That said, Brayden started solids at 6 months and I can't remember for sure but I know he didn't have juice before 6 months, I think it was probably 7-8 months. He is 11 months now and only gets juice occassionally, like a couple times a month and I dilute his a lot!

We are on WIC and have juice STOCKED up! They have given us juice ever since he was born! It will probably last us til he's 20!!!!
|

Especially eHealthy
LOL
thanks ladies
Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
macy was around 3 mos when i gave her rice cereal mixed with breastmilk. Liams was mixed with formula around the same time, i waited til about 6 mos for juice tho and prob 4mos for veges or fruits
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I started Gabe on solids when he was about 4months. I started giving him juice when he was about 8months. I don't give it to him a lot, though. Now that he's 10months, he only has 2 bottles a day. The rest of his meals in the day are real food. Meats, veggies, fruits, bread, crackers, etc etc. I hardly ever give him baby food, anymore.
|

Extremely eHealthy
4 1/2 months with cereals and solids and around 9 months with juice. I always cut it with 1/2 water. She only gets it with meals mostly and in a cup. If a baby has a juice bottle or cup all day, the sugar can sit on their teeth.
I'd wait on the cereals and solids. It sounds fun to start and I couldn't wait, but I'll be in no hurry with #2. Take your time when you do introduce it.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Mika had baby rice at 12 weeks because she's a hungry baby.I don't really see juice as neccessary but Mika's had cooled boiled water to drink sice she started solids
|

User Profile
I don't think babies need juice. Rowan gets juice maybe once every 2 weeks, and then it's really really diluted. Get her use to drinking water young, instead of juice and stuff. Set her up with good eating habbits.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
everyone keeps saying theres no purpose to juice, i just wanted to add that i give val juice because she gets constipated really easy from all the cerial she eats (which she has to eat to keep her reflux tolerable, ive tried giving her less and it makes it worse) and i never really give her much either, like just enough to barely cover the bottom of a sippy cup then teh rest filled with water....just thought id throw that in there cause it just feels like since i posted what i did everyone is saying theres no need for juice (i know i was one of the first to post so i dont consiously thing anyone is directing it at me, its just it feels that way)

~alicia~
|

User Profile
Supporter
-Tanya- wrote:
I don't think babies need juice. Rowan gets juice maybe once every 2 weeks, and then it's really really diluted. Get her use to drinking water young, instead of juice and stuff. Set her up with good eating habbits.

Jersey doesn't drink juice. She'll only take formula, breast or water.

My boys loved it, though.
|

Supporter
Thats the only reason I give Dallas juice everyonce in awhile also. He gets constipated and thats the only thing that will help him go...he gets verrrry little also..
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I started Kaylee on cereal & started experimenting with foods around 4 months also. She very very rarely gets juice & if she does I fill her sippy cup almost all the way up with water then put a tiny bit of juice in it for the flavor. I'm lucky though, she loves ice water. I hate it when people give their babies straight juice without diluting it. Kool-Aid is another pet peeve lol. I could go on forever about that though so I'll just shut up Very Happy
|

Especially eHealthy
eww kool aide
nasty
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2008
Idony wrote:
val started cereal at about 2 monthes, but thats ONLY because of her reflux, if she didnt have that i would have waited until at least 6 monthes, i waited until 6 monthes for baby food though, and juice, but she only gets a tiny tiny amount a juice with a bunch of water in a sippy maybe once a day

~alicia~

What exactly is reflux? My son is eatting through the formula, he will be two weeks on weds and already on his second can of formula! I don't know if this is normal or not. He is healthy and not overweight so for now I'm not to concerned.
|

User Profile
Idony wrote:

~alicia~

What exactly is reflux? My son is eatting through the formula, he will be two weeks on weds and already on his second can of formula! I don't know if this is normal or not. He is healthy and not overweight so for now I'm not to concerned.
|

User Profile
Idony wrote:

~alicia~

|
12 >>