Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

sore throat, swollen glands, abdominal pains (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
i am a 19year old male. 3 months ago i had unprotected oral sex with a working girl whilst on holiday in china(she sat on my face). the next day, i had wrist ache, and tiredness. then i had the runs for two days, followed by hot sweats, fatigue and dizzines, which lasted for about a week. i had no appetite. a week and a half after the incident i had sick and diorrea for two days. following that, my glands came up in my neck. they were very sore. i also had a very sore throat, with white spots, mucus..etc. this lasted for a week acompanied by a fever and chills. shortly after that, i had an open sore around my bottom lip for over a week. it cleared up after taking chlamydia meds. for about 2 months after that i have been suffering from a mild sore throat almost constantly, and my glands have been up and down for the whole time. i have also had abdominal pains and muscle aches and pains. i have also been suffering from extreme tiredness that is getting worse. does this sound like typical HIV symptoms?? plz reply because i am tearing my hair out.
cheers
matty
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Community Volunteer
If you have not gotten an HIV test then do so. It is free and EZ and will put all your questions to rest. Some of the symptoms you described could be HIV related but not necessarily, it could be many things. Get tested. Peace of mind would come with knowing and weather you are HIV+ or not, knowing is the first step.Good Luck.
|

replied April 2nd, 2008
thank you very much for replying to my post homerx. i had an HIV test two weeks after the incident and that was negative. my local GUM clinic has a no news is good news policy, so if you dont hear back within 10-14 days than everythings fine. i had another HIV test 16 days ago and i havnt heard back yet. so in theory my results should be negative, but i cant help thinking that my results have been lost in the post or something! most of my symptoms are still hanging around. im overly tired, and my glands under my jaw are up about twice a month. i also get pain in my muscles and im always sneezing and stuff. and when the doctor did my sexual health check she found a gland in my groin. its been 5 monthes now since the incident, so the test should be 100% conclusive positive or negative. im gonna phone the clinic on friday to make sure my test is clear. and in a months time im gonna get another one just to make sure. i would be a made man if i found out i had mono. hopefully my prayers have been answered. im just gonna keep praying and trust in god to help me through.
peace
|

replied April 2nd, 2008
thank you very much for replying to my post homerx. i had an HIV test two weeks after the incident and that was negative. my local GUM clinic has a no news is good news policy, so if you dont hear back within 10-14 days than everythings fine. i had another HIV test 16 days ago and i havnt heard back yet. so in theory my results should be negative, but i cant help thinking that my results have been lost in the post or something! most of my symptoms are still hanging around. im overly tired, and my glands under my jaw are up about twice a month. i also get pain in my muscles and im always sneezing and stuff. and when the doctor did my sexual health check she found a gland in my groin. its been 5 monthes now since the incident, so the test should be 100% conclusive positive or negative. im gonna phone the clinic on friday to make sure my test is clear. and in a months time im gonna get another one just to make sure. i would be a made man if i found out i had mono. hopefully my prayers have been answered. im just gonna keep praying and trust in god to help me through.
peace
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Supporter
Prayer changes things. Keep praying. Cheers.

It is better to call the clinic and hear for yourself that the results are negative.

All the best

Muthoni (Mson)
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Community Volunteer
Very good point,Mson...prayer is a mysterious and wonderful thing. Even if you have questions in your mind about God and what and who and if he is, prayer is a healing thing...it releases positive energy and gets you to thinking in a new and positive light. Its a proven fact.
|

replied April 5th, 2008
Thanks very much for your replies. i am still praying. im gonna phone the clinic on monday morning to find out for sure. and im gonna get another test in a month or two. you are both truly wonderful people. thank you for your support.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2008
Community Volunteer
bluebella, please let us know how everything turns out and feel free to keep in touch... respect Everything is going to be OK.
|

replied April 7th, 2008
thankyou so much homerX and Mson. i phoned the clinic today and they told me everything is negative(i was tested for chlamydia, siphilis, and gonarea too). i am over the moon. but i still feel very tired and my glands still hurt from time to time. i cannot help but think it is too much of a coincidence that i was so ill with such symptoms after having unprotected sex with two chinese hookers.( a sin that i will never commit again!!) i have had loads of spots over the last two monthes too. are lots of spots a sign of HIV positivity?? i will get another test in a month, and maybe one in a years time. also, i am going to see the doctor next week to have an atibody test for hepititis, because i was immunised about 8 monthes ago. i am gonna get checked for mono, and have a full blood count too. could i have a particular chinese strain of HIV that does not show up on british HIV tests? please get back to me guys. kind regards, bluebella
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Community Volunteer
bluebella, no I think all HIV strains are world wide so China would not have its own. Also, congrats on your results. That is GREAT!!! Be happy and take that as a sign to be more careful with your body...remember, you only have one so take care of it. I am proud of you for taking all the necessary steps to get your health in check...that is brave, a lot of people live in fear of knowing so take no action so I commend you for that. Cheers! Good job! Let us know how everything goes and once again, thank the Lord your OK and take all the necessary steps to keep yourself healthy. Now you know how scary it can be...learn from that.
|

replied April 16th, 2008
hi homerx,
im going to my doctor again today. im going to ask him to give me another HIV test as it is just over six monthes now since my possible exposure. my glands under my jaw are up again Mad its driving me crazy. i just want to be well! iv had two negative tests so far but iv still got loads of symptoms!!! im still really tired everyday, my left arm and hand is really tingly most of the time, my face feels really heavy, i get shooting pains in my chest sometimes, and my glands hurt like hell when they come up. it takes bout a week for them to go down. and it doesnt take much for them to become enlarged......for example just going out at night without a scarf(its spring time here!). also, the skin on the backs of my hands is really rough. it has been for about 3 or 4 monthes on and off.
on the up side though, i do have an appitite. my eating habits did change to start with, i didnt have much of an appitite for a couple of weeks, but i dont think iv lost any weight, iv stayed 14 stone pretty much constantly throughout the time. i dont have night sweats...or at least i dont think so. and i dont have a rash. but i do have loads of spots that i didnt have before.
im gonna get checked for mono, and HIV. im also gonna have a full blood count. i get pain when urinating some times too so im gonna get checked for any bladder infections etc.
i need to know what is wrong with me. there is definately something. its driving my crazy.
thanks for your support.
bluebella
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Good idea, have him check for everything...all STDs.It could be something that is not an STD... Write down all your symptoms and take them to the doctor with you so you don't forget to mention anything....let us know how you are. Good Luck.
|

replied April 16th, 2008
just got back from the doctors. he thinks im being silly about the whole thing. hes getting me tested for HIV again just in case. im having the blood test on tuesday. at the same time im having a full blood count and glandular fever. he also did a throat swab today because its abit inflamed. and iv done a urine sample to check for infections too.i know i dont have any STD's because i was checked for all that four weeks ago. i wont get the blood test results back untill a week on tuesday.
i hope everything is clear so i can get on with my life. cheers for your support homerx mate.
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
no worries.. respect let us hear how it turns out.
|

replied April 22nd, 2008
Hi guys, had all my tests done again today. blood count, GF, Hep, and HIV. also did a urine sample for infections. its gonna take a week for the results. i'l let you know how it goes.
all the best.
matty
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
Good Luck, Matty and let us know...fingers crossed...Smile
|

replied May 5th, 2009
So what was it? I have the swollen glands and sore throat! Seems to come often and i was sick pretty much all winter...I'm starting to think i may have HIV or maybe cancer.
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
STi222 wrote:
I'm starting to think i may have HIV or maybe cancer.
get tested...you can get tested for HIV and cancer...blood tests will do it.
|

replied May 5th, 2009
Yes, But i'm scared.
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2009
Community Volunteer
STi222 wrote:
Yes, But i'm scared.
the test and getting results may be scary but are you going to let that fear be the death of you? Early detection and treatment can add years to your life. Doing nothing will not make it go away...for your own peace of mind and good health,get tested.Educate yourself about it. It is not a death sentence if you do turn out to be HIV+.One pill a day will keep you OK.
|
Users who thank homerx for this post: Muthoni 
12 >>