Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Complex Cyst on Spleen

Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
I was told I have a complex cyst on my spleen as seen on an ultrasound. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I have had no trauma injuries. Also, what is the usual treatment - as this is causing me pain? My CT Scan is scheduled for next week.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 16th, 2011
question on cist on spleen
hi i have the same thing ( almost) i see your post was 3 years ago , just wondering how your treatment what and what was the diagnosos. i jusr went to er and internal mede they drew blood and im am now waiting for cscan... the ere detected a large cict on my spleen which is rubbing my left kidney and is very painful ( as you know) any info would be helpful. hope you are feeling ok and the problen is solved kelly
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Spleen Cyst
A couple of years ago I had a cyst on my spleen. I was active in sports but didn't know of any time when trauma may have caused the injury. The pain was especially felt in my left shoulder but began hurting in the upper left side (front and back) of my abdomen. I initially thought the pain in my shoulder was a badly pinched nerve or my back being out of alignment, but it was actually the spleen sending pain signals through the nerve that runs from the diaphragm up to the shoulder (known as referred pain). It was painful to lean back in a chair, to lay down, to breathe deeply, and sometimes movements in general (like the vibrations caused from walking).

The pain and discomfort got to the point that I eventually went to the emergency room. They did a CAT scan and found a large cyst on my spleen. Soon after they did a peculation to drain the cyst and see if that resolved it. They drained a liter of fluid out of the cyst! It was mostly comprised of old blood (no cancer or anything). Unfortunately, the cyst came back and they had to result to surgery. Initially my doctor thought he was going to have to remove the spleen, but he decided to call around for second opinions (thank you doc!). He found an alternative solution and ended up doing a laparoscopic procedure that removed the cyst and then he burned the surface of the spleen to try and prevent it from coming back. It worked. I still have my spleen today.
|