Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Has Anyone Been "cured"?

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Had my first grand mal seizure at 16, in 1967. Was put on 300 mg dilantin a day. A couple years later, 60 mg of phenobarbital was added. I averaged about one seizure about every 3 years until 1988. From what I have read, I guess I was lucky.

Since 1988 I have been seizure free. That's 16 years seizure free. Is there any such thing as epilepsy "going away" at random?

Has anyone out there ever had their epilepsy disappear?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 27th, 2004
No more meds?
|

replied April 27th, 2004
Re: Midnight
Sorry. Still taking the exact same meds, same dosages. From 1967 to 1988, averaged about 1 seizure every 3 years. Since 1988, none.
|

replied April 28th, 2004
That is something that I have been wondering/hoping. I wish mine would disappear. I was just recently diagnosed, 1 1/2 years ago.
|

replied May 6th, 2004
Going Off Meds...
You have to have been seizure-free for 5 years in my state before they'll even consider taking you off meds. Even then, they'll recommend you stay on it. You should talk to your doc about going off. I've never heard of anyone being cured, just attaining better "control".

Personally, i'm very cynical about this. Most epilepsy research is funded by pharmaceutical companies who are looking for lifelong consumers not cured epileptics.
|

replied May 22nd, 2004
I started having g-mal seizures when I was about 13 til I was 23 then they quit they came back when I was 36 that was 2 years ago and I still am having them. My grandfather on my mothers side was the exact same way and he had them until he died when he was in his 60's. He was on fenabarbatal ?Sp? .
I am on keppra now.
Connie
|

replied May 23rd, 2004
Experienced User
It seems that i've been dealing with this forever ( I was dianosed epileptic when I was 19 and i'm now 39).... And the older I get more seizures I have.... And there changing too. And all the doc has told me is that sometimes this happens to people with seizures.
I still keep hoping that they'll come up with the right med or med combo for me..... But, I been on just about all of them already. And my only hope is new meds coming out.
|

replied June 18th, 2004
I was seizure free and without meds from my 19th to 39th year ... I was so sorry when they returned.
|

replied June 18th, 2004
It's definitely possible (although I haven't been so lucky). Since you've been seizure free 16 years, I (and this is just me) would consider lowering meds really slowly. Of course it's important to consider how you would feel and function if you're seizures returned. Mine just got bad again after 5 years of close to nothing, and it was very upsetting. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do. Smile
|

replied June 19th, 2004
Experienced User
Hello to all.
Ive only had epilepsy since late october 2003. So I dont know what its like to have lived my entire life with seizures. I have had all the tests and there are no abnormalities in any of my scans. But still my doctors insist that I am a temporal lobe epileptic. So seing that I have only been the same old me but only with a new part ( the seizures) some of my old friends dont want to be my friends anymore because they say I am frightening. Now my medication is stable I supose now. And my neurologist that I last saw wants to phase out one of my medications. I feel like he is evil. Because for the last 2 months I have been almost seizure free but for those 6 months earlier I was having so many that I was, I dont know who. So I guess its up to the individual. I am certainly not ready to give up my medications. Just the thought of me going into another one of those 40minute seizures scares me to death. Because I roll into another after another grand mal. And it becmoes status.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Andre V Strizhak