Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Splitting headache

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I have read about the "Ice pick" headaches. The pain described is very close to what I am experiencing, however my pain radiates throughout my head and not a local area. Furthermore, I do not have migraines to follow.
Some mornings, I wake up fine, simply stretch in bed while laying down and suddenly, I have the sharp head pains. The pains are shortlived. Some will leave as quickly as they came and others may dissipate over 1 minute or 2.
Some days i have no pains and other days they are more frequent and with varying intesity. When they are really bad, i can't help but hold my head as it feels as if my head is literally splitting open.
The pains can be triggered from stretching, sneezing, coughing, getting up from the couch, laying down or even lifting my baby above shoulder level.
It often feels as if the blood is "flushing" into my head right before the onset of pain. More often than not, i am caught off guard.
What could be wrong with me?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2008
Headache, Migraines, Sinus Conditions Answer A3560
Basically you should distinguish if your headache is primary or secondary. Primary headaches are idiopathic (with an unknown cause). Secondary headaches are symptomatic or caused by some other disease (tumor, infection, etc.).

Several diagnostic procedures can be done to confirm or exclude a secondary headache (EEG, standard blood analyses, CT, MRI…). Secondary headaches are treated by treating the primary disorder. Primary headaches are treated symptomatically with analgesics.

You can consult a neurologist about your condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.