Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

contractions and false labor ? (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
Hi everyone
I am 36.5 weeks, have high bp and have been having irregular contractions for about 6 hrs now. They are getting slightly more painful, but I can definately walk around with them etc, they feel like intense braxton hicks contractions. Tighting of the uterus with slightly more discomfort.
My water has not broken. No mucus plug has passed. My Vagina area ( I know too much info) just feels different...I cant explain why it just does. I kind of feel like I am on my period????
Just dont know if I should call the maternity unit or not. I dont wanna be embarassed and sent home with false labor or a bad case of braxton hicks???
Any sugestions, advice, experience?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Don't use pain as an indicator! I was walking and talking through my contractions up until they got the epidural in me.

Have you been drinking water and lying down? If not, drink a bottle of water and lay down with your feet elevated for an hour. If they still haven't let up, go in. Better safe than sorry!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I am well hydrated, but even when i lay down to watch tv I had one. I dont wanna be sent home, feeling silly. I know better safe then sorry...I know. But I also work at the hospital I am delivering at. In a different area, but non the less.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I know... I got sent home twice and felt so retarded for wasting the doctors time. But the contractions could turn into real labor.

I think you're fine now, when I was at 37 weeks I went in and the sent me home. They said BH were so frequent that late in the pregnancy to just ignore them until they got to 5 minutes apart, or started to hurt. So if you don't really feel like you should go in, don't. You always have the option of going in later if they change, get more frequent, hurt, or you just get worried.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Good to know thankyou. Ikind of made it through the night, woke up a few times with strong contractions.
I am still getting them irregularly, I didnt think BH or false labor could last this long, its been more then 12hrs now...?
|

Especially eHealthy
like Katrina said, wait until they're 5 mins apart.

Real contractions will NOT let up, no matter what position you get into.

Also, they radiate. Either from the back to the front, or vice versa.

You'll DEF know when they become "regular" and more intense. THAT'S when you need to leave for the hospital.

Don't wait for your water to break. Mine was broken accidentally at 8cm when I was being checked!

Good luck, and i hope you're labor is smooth and easy!

Sarah
|

Especially eHealthy
Have you called your doctor just to, you know, discuss what you are feeling? He may want you to come in or he may put your mind at ease. Good luck!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
also remember that they might not become 'regular'. if you have so many in an hour and they are 2min apart then 10 min apart, and don't let up at all, then they could very well be real contractions.

Good Luck!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Thanks ladies, I think it was an episode of false labor. I am still getting them, but they are definately braxton hicks contractions now, they are even more irregular and much weaker.
And I had my hopes up so much. But maybe my body is working on something....I hope...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
how are you doing? since this was from yesterday...

just fyi i agree with an earlier post, never base it on pain... i didnt feel any pain until a few hours of being in the hospital bed
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I am still having troubles. Having irregular contractions, but now there is lot of pain in my pelvic region????? that get worse with the contraction. I am also having headaches and I am wondering if I should go to the drugstore and check my bp? and possibly go to L&D/ I did call the fetal monitoring unit to ask what she though and of course she said just come down. but its easier said then done, my husband is at work with the car.
I dunno...I just dont wanna make a deal of false labor...and be sent home and waste their time.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I wouldn't care if it was false or not. Hey who knows it may be real. But you'll never know till you go. I'd go just to be on the safe side. I'm sure plenty of women go in with false labor. Who cares what they think. This is your baby. And you've never been pregnant before so how are you suppose to know! Good luck to you!
|

Especially eHealthy
I agree with Rachel.

They WON'T be mad at you, and they won't talk about you when you leave.

Because you MIGHT just be in actual labor!!

I say go, when your hubby gets home!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Experienced User
We may, I am also gettinglots of 'rectal' pressure, not lots but with the contractions. Ough. I just wish I knew if it was real or fake, thenI would know. I moved my fetal monitoring apt to tommorow AM, so as long as the night goes ok they will put me and baby on the monitrs tommorow and I will get my answer and stop bugging you guys. hehe
|

trust me you will KNOW when you are in labor. They tried to send me home when i went into labor with my first one. they told me i didnt know what pain was, i had my daughter 45 MINUTES after they said that.

But you will know, when you cant stand it anymore, your in labor. if you can sit and type on the computer still, your not ready yet =D
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Possible. Also heard the opposite. Every woman is different. I am sure I will know when baby is on his way out.
But I am more just wanting to know if this is early labor or false labor. If i can look foward to real labor starting soon or if this will be the story for the next 2-3weeks while my uterus prepares.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
~~rachel~~ wrote:
I wouldn't care if it was false or not. Hey who knows it may be real. But you'll never know till you go. I'd go just to be on the safe side. I'm sure plenty of women go in with false labor. Who cares what they think. This is your baby. And you've never been pregnant before so how are you suppose to know! Good luck to you!

completely agree
I didn't know I was having real contractions when I was pregnant with my second child (induced with first). I couldn't tell the difference between BH and real. They weren't consistent. It wasn't until I went in and they checked me, saw how I was waddling more than normal that the doctor sent me to labor and deliver for evaluation. They ended up being inconsistent but they made me walk around for an hour. Sure enough, I went from 4 cm to 6 cm in only one hour. When they hooked me up again, I was having contractions that were 3 minutes apart. I really had no idea. I was prepped immediately for c section (breach baby and other complications).

I am SOOOO glad that I went in. Go in. Get check out. When is your next doctor's appt??
|

Especially eHealthy
The experiences that you heard claiming the opposite are VERY rare.

You will DEF know when the baby is about to come out!!! There's no question about that.

your contractions will become very very painful.

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2008
Experienced User
Ya i know, I am pretty confident that I will know if baby is coming out. What I am unsure about is whether or not this is false/pre labor, or actualy early labor. Because due to my increase BP and heart rate I am to be monitored if it is true labor.
However, I have a fetal monitoring appointment tommorow am at 9am at the hospital. They are aware of everything, I even called and spoke with a RN tonite and they will check me tommorow am.
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
That was my point. I couldn't tell the if I was having BH or actually early labor either. It wasn't until they made me walk for an hour, I could tell that I was having more consistent contractions.

Are you talking about my experience being rare? How is that? I was just noting the way I felt during prelabor and not being able to differentiate at that time between early stages of labor or BH. Very Confused.
|
12 >>