Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Complex kidney cyst (Page 1)

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I know kidney cysts are very common, but I'm a first timer and I'm quite scared...

I went in for an ultrasound of my kidneys as a follow up for hypertension, and the result came back and there is apparently a cyst in my right kidney. The cyst is 1.2cm diameter and classified as a complex cyst. They didn't say what type of complex cyst it was it was indeterminable due to the small size of the cyst and also because ultrasound technology isn't able to get an accurate enough image.

I am scheduled for a CT scan to determine if it is is benign or malignant.

I guess I don't really have any questions, but.. I'm freaking out. Anyone else care to share their experiences?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

replied January 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I get kidney cysts also.
Mine have all ended up popping or they disappeared by the time I had the next scan done.

Try not to get to scared..I know it's easier said than done.
I'm here if you want to talk.

Good luck with your CT Scan.Smile Smile
|

replied October 2nd, 2011
i have a kidney cyst last year was seen in the ultra sound 3.5 cm. this year i had my ultra sound and found out the cyst grows to 5.5 cm. But my blood test and urine test find out good and normal . Do I need to be worried and alarm with this. Please help.. I have my schedule for Mri next week.
|
Users who thank nen for this post: cohcoon19 

replied March 3rd, 2012
Hi Nen ,
I am perfectly at your situation now .. Please let me know what is the next best thing to do .. please reply
Thanks
Conrad
|

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
There can be 'probable benign simple cystic lesions that are minimally complicated ' and 'more complicated cystic lesions'.
When visualization is inadequate on ultrasound scanning or when the ultrasound examination shows evidence of calcifications, septa or multiple cysts that may obscure a potential malignancy (50% malignancy rate), renal CT scanning with contrast medium is always performed.
Additional MRI can be helpful before surgical examination is recommended.

Please, don't worry!
We just share statistical informations, but that's not always the truth and the medical practice. When complex cysts are present, the need for treatment is determined on an individual basis.

Thinking of you!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied September 19th, 2014
I have a ? , I am 46 male. I have a mildly complex kidney cyst that we have been keeping on top of for the past year. it started as a 1.5cm when found. then it was said to be 1.7 x 1.4 x 1.2cm. Here on Sept. 15th 2014 had my next Ultrasound & they say it's only 16 x 13 x 12cm. But they are now saying it shows to be mildly complex , single thin septation and a small echogenic focus with ring down artifact in the anerior was. ( Calcifications ). On the prev's ct w/ contrast it said it was posterer & anter.( I also have a 8mm adrenal cyst but after 6 months it they said stayed the same.? left adrenal adenoma ) I also have a cyst on my liver that has went from 1.1cm to 13 x 12 x 9 mm. in the 6 months . They also found 4-5 Polyps in my gullbadder & the biggest was 5.2mm. last year they also found a spot in my left & right upper lobe of my lungs but said it looked like Sequela of past granulomatous disease . I need all the help someone / anyone can give. I have things wrong with me that was passed down by my mom. She passed away at 53 with stage 4 renal cell & my dads father passed away at 66 with liver cancer . Me & my sister are only 2 years apart & we both have very poor health since we was 40. Please help me understand whats going on ?? PLEASE !!! Thank You.
|

replied February 19th, 2008
Phew, I went in for an MRI and the results came back as the cyst is simple cyst, most probably Bosniak class 2. It's such a weight off my shoulders, thanks all for the support!!
|

replied February 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Awesome news!!!!Smile Smile

I'm so happy for you!!!
|

replied February 20th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Good news!
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
That's great!
Have you been told that Bosniak 2 cyst needs to be monitored with follow ups?
|

replied July 5th, 2008
hi
ultrasound just showed ive small cyst in left kidney + fybroid in womb , these tests i had are from routine as ive been ill recently + also ive a clot in my aorta. ive had probs all my life with dvts . musucalarskelatal , vasal vascal syncope , asthma , osteo-arthuritus ect . but wot will need to be done with cyst + fybroid im waiting further results also from xrays i also had + gp just writen to me wanting further blood tests ? wot do u think maybe going on with me now ????? plz help . lisa age 37.
|

replied June 8th, 2009
I've just been diagnosed with a complex cyst on my left kidney
I've literally just been diagnosed with a complex cyst on my left kidney. I dont know what to think. Is it cancer? Is it benign? I am trying not to freak out either. Its easier said than done. I am going to have my 3rd ultrasound next month. I guess my pcp wants to see if it goes away. I dont see how if its a complex cyst. Good luck with your CT scan. i wish I was getting one instead of an ultrasound. I also have a fibroid tumor as well. My dr seems less concerned with that. Good luck!
|

replied August 23rd, 2013
what ever happened with your cyst? I was told the same news you got. what ever happened with you what was your treatment etc... im so nervous.
|

replied June 24th, 2009
I'm a 48 year old male. Six months ago during a scan for someething else, a complex cyst was found in my left and right kidneys. This month at the six month ultrasound followup, the left one grew from 1cm to 2.1cm and the right one grew from 1.9cm to 2.2cm. I have an appt with my doctor on Friday and then I'm having a CT scan with and without contrast, does anyone know if this growth is fast?
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
Hello njerseyguy,
I am exactly at your situation , please let me know what is the next best thing to do ...

Thanks a lot ,,

cohcoon19
|

replied June 29th, 2009
Complex kidney csyst
I also had back pain. US saw complex csyst and I have CT at 3 tomorrow. I am thinking of cancer and the Internet just makes it worse. Would some part of my bloodwork indicate abnormalities and it all came back fine. Please get back to me, help?
|

replied June 30th, 2009
Answers to questions and my situation
Here is my attempt to address some of the other posters questions. Cysts (whether benign or malignant) can grow very slowly and then all at once grow very fast. This is no indication of whether or not it is cancerous. Bloodwork does not / can not tell if a growth is cancerous. You have to get the CT scan with/without contrast and you will look for different things to show up. Mainly, does the lesion enhance with the contrast - if it does, it needs to come out. You will then look to see if there is calcium present, if many well-defined septa are in the cyst and if there is a large irregular, thick wall to the cyst.

I have had a minimally complex kidney cyst of 3cm that we have been monitoring on an annual basis since July 2003. It has now grown to 4cm, however the complexity has not changed. It doesn't have any enhancement with contracts, no calcification, no thick wall, etc. It does have a hair like single septa which is what is throwing it into the Bosniak class IIF category.

Since it grew so much in the last year, I am leaning on having it removed through a partial nephrectomy with a robotic laprascopic procedure in September by a very skilled surgeon who has done well over 100 of these procedures. This way I can find out once and for all if it is cancerous or not. The risk is I have the surgery and it turns out to be benign, and I either lose the kidney or have other complications/pain.

Three doctors I have seen say to continue to monitor it, but my fear is that if it gets too much bigger, they won't be able to save the kidney.

Any thoughts on what you would do?
|

replied April 14th, 2011
what did you do (this was 2 years ago) MRI recently showed a cyst on my left kidney. In the past I had cyst removed from both ovaries -losing both ovaries! So I am prone to cyst everywhere. What should I do?
|

replied February 25th, 2012
complex cyst
hi how did you come on with this. Mine has grown from 4 to 5cm complex with calcification. waiting for ct scan with dye. very worried
Nigela x
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
Hi Nigela,
I am exactly at your situation right now ..please let me know what is the next best thing to do ..

Thanks a lot .
Cohcoon19
|

replied August 8th, 2009
Complex Kidney cysts
Very interesting thoughts on complex kidney cysts. I have been diagnosed with a 2.3cm complex cyst. That is about all I know. I'm very frustrated by the lack of information most Dr's give. Most say 'don't worry'. Well how can you not worry when you don't know whats going on? I'm having a ct scan with contrast next week. Does anyone know how likely it is to lose a kidney if you have the cyst removed?
Hope everyone goes well. I'm 45 female.
|

replied August 13th, 2009
Coolforest, the use of the laproscopic "da vinci" robot has made partial nephrectomy's much more common. For a cyst that is completely imbedded in the kidney, it is pretty tough to not take out the whole kidney - however, if the cyst is partial embedded, it is very common to simply remove the cyst (with some small margin) fix the duct work and stitch up the kidney with no change in function.

That being said, if you have your CT scan with/without contrast and it comes back bosniak 2 or less, I wouldn't worry to much as it may just be a minimally complex cyst that is at a very low risk of being cancerous. If it is a 2-F you can watch it or have it removed at your call. 3's and 4's need to be removed, but again this can be done laproscopicaly and partially without having to take the whole kidney.

Hope this helps and good luck. I am having my Bosniak 2F minimally complex cyst removed via laproscopic partial nephrectomy on the 22nd of Sept. I will let everyone know how it goes.
|

replied March 3rd, 2012
Jdamon33,
Please let me know what happened then after your partial nephrectomy ..

thanks
conrad
|

replied August 16th, 2009
I had a simple cyst about golf ballsize for years with no problems except a presssure under my ribs. In November I had it drained (120ml) dueto burning, throbbing, tearing pain. It refilled. In February I had it unroofed (size of an orange again) via laparascope. In April I had the same pain again. It had refilled. In june it grew from 2.5-4cm in 10 days and now called minimally complex. I have opted to have an open partial nephrectomy because its changing and that will bedone on 8/20. I know the recovery is going to take a while but can somebody give me any idea about it? Thanks.
|

replied September 11th, 2009
I like wise am waiting on the results of my CT scan to determine the grade of my complex cyst (revealed on ultrasound) on my right kidney. I'm plenty nervous w/ mild - moderate pain/pressure on my right side under my ribs & extending to my back. I've had sporadic pain in this region for 5 yrs & thought it was my gall bladder. When it persisted I knew I had to get it looked at, I figured gall bladder; think again...
|

replied August 16th, 2011
sekrah
what was the outcome? I have the same pain under my right rib cage. It felt like my rib cage was pushing out. I had my gall bladder out 10 yrs ago. Now I got news have a complex cyst getting CT tomorrow. please let me know
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Hi sekrdh77. It could have been my 87 year old mother who wrote what you wrote. The doctor did detect a simple cyst several years ago...but her ultrasound last week showed that it was now complex. She is having my mom come back in 3 months for another ultrasound to look for any change. After reading everyonee's stories here, I am surprised she did not order a CT scan for my mom.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
hi my name is farrah and i am 16 . I have a complex cyst in my left kidney. they have been monitoring it with ct scans and ultrasounds out the ying yang since about october. It has gotten bigger by 2 cm. Im also very scared bbut nothing at this point i can do. just sit back and wait. i also do not know if mine is cancerous. my cyst is septated and in IIF category .. I have another ct scan in march hope everything goes well with you guys !!! goood luckk
|

replied April 16th, 2010
Complex cysts found in kidney
Hi,

I just found out that I have two complex cysts in one of my kidneys and I''m freaking out. I have no idea what stage it is, but I have an appointment with a urologist next week. Does anyone know how often these cysts lead to kidney cancer? Complex ones are the ones that do, right? I have no pain, but I do go to the bathroom a lot, especially at night. I''m a 47 year old female.
|
Users who thank alady for this post: am8zing1 

replied September 14th, 2010
Re: Complex cysts found in kidney
Hi everyone,
I am arnab, 22 years old male. Utrasono showed a 2cm cyst in my left kidney back in february this year. I was told by doc to have a regular check up. Now the size has increased to 25mm and it has been categorized into category 3 cyst plus another cyst on right kidney of size 10 mm has also developed. Now I am a bit tensed.
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
Disgnosis
Hi everyone I was diagnosed with a complex cyst on my left kidney by ultrasound measuring 1.6cm my GP sent me for a CT scan and then was told there was nothin there after all the worry do you think I should have a second opinion
|