Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

extremely skinny and healthy but big stomach (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Ok, so I have this problem. I am extremely skinny everywhere. too skinny almost. Except my stomach. It has always been my problem. Even since I was little. I looked at young pictures of me and I still had this problem. I am 17 years old. pretty active, and I consume only around 1500-2000 calories daily. I learned that the average teenager is supposed to consume about 3000 calories per day. I eat healthy food and I am always being health conscious. I use to run 4 miles each day and never saw any results. i do eat a lot of pizza (around 4 pieces every 2 days) but i dont understand why it wouldnt show anywhere else. I feel like its not the problem. I always assumed I had a fast metabolism because of being so skinny. The only reason I am consuming so few calories daily is beceause I dont want my stomach to get bigger. I have looked at drnatura.com, because i thought it may be the solution. It seems to be a reputable detoxifying system. It does not involve dieting in anyway. It is strictly colon cleansing and another product i cant remember. It seems safe and effective. I dont want to spend money on this though if it is not the problem. please help me out. If you have an questions let me know. I am ready to answer anything! THANKS!

also, I have a six pack when i suck in my stomach. (which i suck in always when i am at school, home, anywhere. So much that i do it without noticing.) I didnt know if this was normally. Because of this i didnt know if it was fat, or what. I cant figure it out. thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ACorrectionSir
|

replied January 18th, 2008
I have the same problem, man. Still trying to figure it out. Sad
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2008
Is it like fat or posture causing it to go out?
|

replied May 3rd, 2009
I would say it is a combination of several things. It could be your diet as well as your posture. It could also be related to the frequency of your visits to the bathroom. Sometimes the the foods that we eat do not stimulate the expulsion of the unwanted contents of your colon. I have the same problem. The rate of your metabolism would not help with excretion. Try increasing the fiber in your diet. Also ensure that you visit the toilet at least once a day with your full quota of water(8 glasses) for the day. Do a few abdominal exercises in your weekly activities and see how it all works out.
|

replied May 13th, 2009
re
I hope i have this too, i am fat even i don,t eat!!!
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2009
I have this same problem!!! I thought I was weird or something. I will be thirty-one this year and last year I was skinny, this year however, I have this gutt! When I weigh myself though I weigh within 1-5 lbs of last years weight which I found confusing that it would all be generated in this area. I will try the fiber idea I think thats great, and the crunch, sit ups and push ups. Thank you for your help in this weirdness!!!
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2009
How about doing some exercises that focus on the abs? Have you tried it? It might work.

|

replied June 30th, 2009
I have read weight gain around the stomach area can be stress related.....
|

replied January 12th, 2010
i am 5"1, 16, 7stone and i have the same problem Sad i am happy with my weight apart from my stomach! whenever i put on weight it is the only place to show it and when i lose weight it wont go! if i could solve this i would be so much happier with my body Sad please help!
|

replied January 13th, 2010
It is like it happens with me also, but sometime it needs to be improved by doing lot of exercises and having good balanced diet.

Or it is better to consult with some fitness advisor who will guide you with some good fitness tips and can let you know with some exercises.

Thanks
|

replied March 29th, 2010
So, how is your energy level? Do you also suffering in symptoms of neck and upper back?

I suspect you are having some energy deficiency (base on my training in traditional Chinese medicine.) issues resulting muscle weakness in a certain area.

If you would like to chat with me, feel free to add us at MSN Given more detail is provided, we can share our perspective in TCM on your conditions.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
please reply!!!
hey! i have the same problem!! and a little of neck & back pain?!! wat does tat mean?!! ://///
|

replied May 6th, 2010
i have this problem too, im only 9st 13 lbs and 5ft 8" i am extremeley skinny everywhere else but my tummy makes me look pregnant , ive been on a high fibre diet for 3 months and it hasnt helped, im perfectly regular , i drink plenty of water. its driving me crazy , im 31 and havent always had this problem i used to have a flat tummy.
i do 500 stomach crunches a day for the last 3 months plus lower abdomen excercises , i do pilates too so i know im doing them right. yet still there my belly is. if anyone can shed any light id be grateful.
|

replied May 11th, 2010
Lose weight by adopting a healthy diet! Choose one from the best weight loss diets !
|

replied June 18th, 2010
Simple-eat foods low on the glycemic index, avoid glutin and processed foods, and that stomach will dissappear. You all are suffering from a modern malady: Highly refined foods and foods high on the glycemic index, most especially grain. No one has to have a big stomach. Choose not to!
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2010
Why not try to reduce drinking coffee or soft drinks, you now these two are main contributors of having a big belly. Like for example in men, they have what you call beer belly. Have you tried on taking exercise that focuses more on making your stomach small?
|

replied September 2nd, 2010
Unless you have a medical disorder (which is doubtful) your body probably just metabolizes fat better in all areas but your stomach. My body distributes fat evenly throughout itself, but everyone has a different type. Some people are top heavy, others are bottom-heavy, and you as well as millions of others place most unused calories in the stomach.

Make sure you eat healthy foods, and distribute your caloric intake evenly throughout the day. If you eat mostly at bedtime, those calories will turn into fat.

Everyone has a six pack when they suck in their stomachs (8 pack if they suck in the bottom part). The muscles always exist, they're just smaller and more covered up for some people. By the way, running will do nothing to remove stomach fat. Implement a well-rounded exercise program, which includes abdominal exercise.
|

replied February 20th, 2011
Don't waste your time with diet or excercise, neither will work. You have a big stomache, it's not a matter of fat , it's large digestive tract and intestines. This is your body type,you must accept it, there is absolutely nothing you can do or should do to alter it.If you wish, you may be able to camoflague it by walking with your shoulders slightly back, giving you a better posture and reducing the protrusion. For others who have developed a distended stomache somewhat later in life, you too must accept that a flat stomache is not possible,accept the normal maturation of your body. The only people who can loose significent girth from their abdomen are those who are carrying extra fat, not skinny people with large abdomens.
|

replied February 24th, 2011
Nice try, McSavage. That's very solid "give up" advice, and it is quite incorrect.

An enlarged stomach on a skinny frame is NOT a body type problem. It may help to consider images of starving children with large bellies. Is that a body type problem? No. Then what is at work?

marthagrist's answer is the most accurate here. This is an issue that requires attention to general nutrition with particulars to the glycemic index. It is not surprising that the original poster mentioned pizza in her diet, and crystal1103 was right to mention men with beer bellies. 'Breaded' items can be big offenders when it comes to disproportionate abdominal growth.

Starving children in 3rd world countries see extreme versions of this in what can be called "Kwashiorkor". Once these children stop breastfeeding they are turned to a high carbohydrate diet which is low in key antioxidants and proteins. This improper nourishment can affect the liver's ability to release the protein "albumin," which regulates a normal flow of water in the body (osmotic pressure). The body cannot return water to the "blood vessels so [the water] goes into the cells, producing a distended, bloated belly and edema." This is of course an extreme version of malnutrition, but the fundamentals still apply.

So a larger belly on a skinny body is most likely the result of not getting enough protein and consuming too many carbohydrates. If you work out but consume too much beer, pizza, bread, potato chips, rice, french fries, etc., then localized swelling of the stomach may exist despite an increase in activity or a decrease in overall calories. This is why calorie-counting alone does not work for anything more than getting a smaller number on a scale, and this is why a consistent fitness schedule must be accompanied by proper nutrition. If you wish to be healthy AND have a good physique you need a complete plan.
|

replied August 19th, 2011
my physique
Im 16 5 ft 10 and like 105 pounds, Ive been skinny my whole life, I eat pretty well Ive just struggled to put weight on my whole life, I dont have any bad symptons .. I just have a very skinny frame, when they were younger, my mother was very skinny and so was my father, but the still had a decent bone structure, were as mine is skinny.. Ive grown taller but its like my bones haven't grown like bigger in density much, I dont have a low self asteem and dont have trouble at school and i dont suffer from anorexia because i eat very well.. but yeh i have a very skinny pyhsique
|

replied February 12th, 2013
i come frm africa,and i dnt eat junk,,mhhhm! i love watching my diet,,so??
|

replied December 8th, 2011
I would recommend going for a strength-training program in conjunction with getting your diet in order. It will help you to redistribute the weight on your body to give you a better-proportioned look. I think you will find that a well-controlled diet in conjunction with strength training will have a greater impact than you expect.
|

replied January 9th, 2012
Beer Belly
I am male, 32, 135lb, 5' 8". I fit into Waist size 30" pants. I've always had a big belly, not much fat but still the belly sticks out. Ive always had trouble putting on weight. Most Ive weighted was 142. I do have a bad posture. My wife tells me that all the time. I do try to work out. Ten years go in college I worked our regularly and was in best shape of my life, but still had a belly. Im trying to get back into better shape and get rid of this beer belly. I dont even drink that much. Maybe once a month If my wife lets me.

I must say my diet is bad. I do not eat enough protein. Not that I eat unhealthy but Ive always had a lot of rice in my diet. Lately I have cut down on rice. And Try to replace with more wheat. But I guess what Ive read above says wheat or whole grain isnt good for flat stomach. I'm also lactose intolerant so anything with dairy product gets me bloated and gassy. This new year I have to eat better and get a flatter stomach. I do believe flat stomach comes from diet and good fitness program. You just have to try different things and see what works for you. I would like to know what Brad Pitts diet involves.

Any pointers on the thread are appreciated.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply