Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vegetarian Diet Forum

marathon running and a vegetarian diet.

Hi! I have been a vegetarian for over a year now, and consistently run 30-35 miles per week. I am in the middle of training for a marathon and I work out 3-4 times a week in addition to that. I am worried that I am not consuming enough protein! How much protein should I aim to eat every day?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 9th, 2008
That "not consuming enough protein" thing is a myth. Most people get too much protein from the standard american diet (SAD) and that leaches calcium from their bones. (dairy protein)I know a body builder that only eats fruit. He's a fruitarian.
If you eat fish, you can get extra protein from that, like salmon, tuna, etc. Most greens supply adequate protein and calcium. Potatos are high in protein. Nuts are high in protein.
|

replied May 19th, 2008
to eat fish would not be a vegetarian. there is a plethora of meat substitute products available from most grocery stores. Morning star farms makes some great tasting products. I'm truly hooked on them Smile and they have as much, (if not more) protein than a lot of their meaty counterparts
|
Quick Reply