Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Stabbing Pain in Ribs

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
occasionally I have a very sharp stabbing pain on the left or right side of my ribs. It feels like some one has stabbed me and left the knife in between my ribs. It is often so pain full that I can't take a deep breath, and I can barley take any breath. I am often sitting sown when this happens.

The pain will often go away in 3 or so min. but some times it takes longer.

Does any one know what this is?
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi

There are a few possibilities that come to mind Costochondritis, Precordial Catch Syndrome another thing if you are getting flank pain (kidney pain) with this it might be renal colic.

I get these sharp stabbing pains also. I was told it's Costochindritis.

Take Care
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I always thought this was just wind (gas)! I get this too sometimes and it usually means I've got trapped wind.

Go and see your doctor though, just in case it's something that needs treatment.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
Helppp
i have the same problems but, i'm 14 & dont know what to do!

i like breath in & my ribs hurt, my heart sometimes hurts to i went to the doctor for my heart & they just gave me ibprophben.

& an inhaler
it went away for awile but just came back
i'm kinda scared
thankyou londyn....
|

replied March 6th, 2013
I'm 17 and I get these all the time I'm really sporty and can't recall injuring my ribs. I'm still scared though and don't know what is wrong with me.?
|
Quick Reply