Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

medical record privacy

I will be leaving my employer soon and will need to apply for individual health insurance eventually. Is there anyway an insurance company could find out what I have seen the doctor for previously if I do not release any of those medical records?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 14th, 2008
I understand insurance companies can obtain information from the Medical Information Bureau. So besides the Medical Information Bureau and whatever records I authorize to be released to the insurance companies, can they find out any more medical information about me when I apply for insurance?
|

Disclose Disclose
This is a very interesting question.

The simple answer is if you used an insurance plan to pay for you illness then they know about it.

Lets say you paid cash:
most insurance companies generally let you in with minimal underwriting, once you file a serious/expensive claim then the true underwriting begin. Now they will generally have access to all your files since you want them to pay up. They will go over everything with a fine tooth comb. If they find anything that was not on the application/omitted they have a legal right to cancel your coverage to day one- as of your policy never excited or just not pay.

The kicker is that most insurance companies will generally take some conditions if they are disclosed on the application. A good broker should be able to look at your issues and guide you to the right carrier.

to recap disclose disclose disclose

and is you have any questions disclose once more.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Usually, when switching form an employer plan to an individual plan, they HAVE to cover your preexisting conditions.

With blue cross and blue shield of NC, if you are covered under a group plan for at least 18 months, then they will cover you not matter what your health is.
|
Tags: apply
Quick Reply