Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

husband on depression meds has other symptoms

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the site. I'm not a Dr. or anything, but I feel that my husband has BiPolar Disorder.

He is constantly moody, irritable, punches holes in walls, freaks out in public, and spends more money then he should. When he meets new people, he keeps talking and joking, and worries so much that people don't like him.

One time we were in the mall and he realized he didn't realy have enough money for something, so he took the two bags in his hand and threw them on the floor, left them there and ran down the stairs, this is a 36 year old man! People around him stopped what they were doing to watch, and he just kept throwing a tantrum. I wasn't very supportive, I walked the other way. Believe me, this has not been, and will not be his last public show of irritation.

He is on depression meds, because he told the Dr. that he was stressed out, but didn't tell him anything else. They help alittle, but not 100%. Today he told me that he is done with them and doesn't want to take them anymore. He said he feels numb and out of control. I think he also feels embarassed about taking them. Nobody know's he's on them, so why does he feel this way?

My marriage is crumbling. It's awful and I don't know what to do. Should I talk to his Dr. ? Is there something I could do? I know he has to want to help himself before he could get help. Is there a way that I could speed up the process?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 27th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Speak with his doctor about this. His erratic behavior may well be due to a mood disorder such as bipolar disorder. Keep a chart or log of his behavior and show the doctor. He will have more insight into what is happening with him with this log. Unfortunately, you can not force him into taking meds.
|
Did you find this post helpful?