Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Feminine Itching (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I have had feminine itching for about a week now. The itching is inside my inner labia, from the clitoris all the way to the anal area. I don't think it's a yeast infection because there is no discharge. I had a yeast infection once before many years ago and I had the typical cottage cheese discharge then. Nothing like that now.

I had shaved my pubic hair a couple of days before the itching started. I have done that before but never had the itching problem. For a couple of days after shaving, I had applied Dove deodorant on the outside of my pubic area, as I had read that this helps with the shaving-related itching. But once I started itching inside the labia, I discontinued the deodorant.

Another factor is that I started a 5-day antibiotic the same day as I shaved. I have also read that antibiotics can sometimes cause yeast infections.

I have not started using a new detergent or anything like that. I can also rule out anything sexually transmitted.

Thank you for reading! Any help is appreciated. Normally I would have gone to see my GYN by now, but I am living in another country until July 2008 and since there is a language barrier, I would prefer not to see a doctor here, especially for so intimate a problem. Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kristigraham
|

replied January 13th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Anti-biotics do increase your chances of getting a yeast infection. My doctor always reccomends to eat more yogurt when on antibiotics, because it contains cultures that help maintain a balanced PH level. Regarding the deodarant down there....I've never heard of that before and would be very cautious about using anything that is not designed to be used in that area. You could always purchase one of those at home yeast testing kits...it will tell you whether or not there are bad levels of yeast indicating and infection. Good luck to you!
|

replied February 5th, 2008
mine is really itchy..last year im really pissed...i wanted to cry bcos of the itching and stuff...i never went to my gyne...afraid so,i cahnge my femine wash to betadine feminine wash...to maintain it...now,i have no problem...it's really hard having feminine itch..so,i have to watch out on changing undies 2-3 times a day...or put some pantyliners..everytime i pee i wash..but still im looking forward to see my gyne...for more info and stuff..
|

replied March 25th, 2008
Hi, I need help about this itch
Hello, I am 34 yrs old now. I am so annoyed with this femine itch I am suffering. I thought before that maybe this was caused by my pantyliners or my feminine wash, been trying and changing my brands to no avail. The labia is really itchy, I thought I had crabs so I shaved my pubic hair, but its still there. I started wearing cotton panties , stopped using pantyliners, every 2 or 4 hours I would change my panties. and lately I been seeing a white substance like discharge, but no smell, the texture is grainy. I know I should consult my gyne but I am so terrified of hospitals. And I so I shamed to even discuss this with my friends let alone my family gyne.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Experienced User
Well to tell you ladies the truth, i believe that PAK and FEMALE1874, both have a yeast infection. I have had one beofre, i had very little cottage cheese discharge, with no odor but the itching was unbarable! My inner labia's were bright red, they were so irritated. I went and purchased a 'yeast kit' that can test you pH levels and then will tell you if you are 'normal' or not. It showed up that i was normal, still the itching continued and continued. I figured i had to do something. So i asked one of my friend if she had ever had one and she described to me EVERYTHING that i was going through and i then asked her what her dr recommended. She told me that her dr just told her to go to a CVS or TARGET, WALMART, or where-ever and get the monistat deal. You can get it in gel form, cream form, or little capsuls that discinigrate inside of you. I used the capsuls (BEWARE YOU WILL BE LEAKING ALL DAY LONG AS THAT STUFF COMES OUTSIDE OF YOU! but if it gets rid of the itching its all worth it right?) I got the 3 day (it comes in like 1, 3, and 5 i believe.) My friends dr told her not to use the 1 day cause its not as effective. Anyways, the one that i had purchased came with a tiny tube of external cream, let me tell you it works like a CHARM! i deffinately reccommend that stuff! Keep it in your purse, even though it last for a long time. I would put it on in the morning and would put it on again till i went to bed.

I would say try that out ladies, if that doesn't help, deffinately go in and see your gynocologist.

GOOD LUCK! Hope this helped and let me know if this helps or what you find out!
|

replied April 17th, 2009
ok, so sometimes I itch... it's not unbarable like some of the girls described, and if I use vagisil it goes away completey. I just don't know why I itch... it's always soo random and its only for a couple days at a time... I know its not any kind of std becasue I've had this happen since I was about 10... Anyone know what is up?
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Please...
ok,so im only 15 and i have this terrible itch:/
it gets so unbearable i can barely sleep at night.I don't really know what to do about it.Someone please help me:/
|

replied August 9th, 2011
feminine itching
I know how you feel....the first day I used Probiotic capsules by Phillips (Colon Health) along with Activia lowfat Yogurt....my itching was gone! My system was sooo unbalanced. Was listening to someone on GA public TV on the Probiotic topic, all made sense! I tried it and relief was so pleasant....finally can sleep @ nite.
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
vulva irrations
i have had biospy and told it is lichenoid reaction. or zoon's vulvitis. any creams prescribed only make it worse. pain is bareable now if i leave alone. just not curing problem.I take an antihistamine tablet to help with itching.If anybody has any relief answers I would be grateful for advice. many thanks. Dawn
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
I do notice the itching happens to me monthly, right b4 my period starts. For those of you with this itching problem, have you noticed if you get the iching right b4 your period starts? Usually what I do is wash myself then put on some vasaline, just a little bit. It almost feels like it serves as a barrier from any "friction" like shaving my cause. It may not work for everyone though. I just use it for a few days til I start my period, which by then usually the itching stops. I also had myself checked by my doctor to rule out any serious issues. That is probably the best thing to do, cause it can mean something serious is happening inside your body.
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
I used to get it a few days b4 my period too. I realized I was very dry at that time. Normally I am very wet wearing panty liners all the time. Well I'm pregnant again so j have to be very careful what I use. Obgyn said 2 try rephresh vaginal gel. Supposed to help keep your ph balanced. My problem is it doesn't treat my itching. While pregnant I am constantly itching! Didn't happen first 2 times around. I dab the area with alcohol on cotton ball. Temporary relief. Rephresh is kind if pricey. Only lasts 4 days so I am going to go back to a yogurt a day diet. It seemed to relieve my issue b4. Good luck all.
|

replied July 7th, 2009
I've suffered with feminine itching on and off for some time. It mainly happens at night, when i'm in bed and get too hot.
I use a few drops of tea tree oil mixed with a base massage oil such as sweet almond. when needed. It's really cooling and soothing and stops the itching instantly.
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2009
Supporter
hello ladies here in uk i can purchase over the counter flucanazole. It is one tablet and £10.some might think this is expensive but this wonderful medication flushes the system out and you are itch free for 3 months or more.
I was up the wall before my period as i knew when they appeared the itch was too.
I tried canesten duo combi, and lanacane nothing seemed to help..another tip is i go commando no undies and have never been bothered with it for yrs now.
|

replied October 4th, 2009
Hello ladies, when I get my random thrush I have a natural no medicine remedy, I was advised it when I was pregnant and it really worked! Especially when you have just noticed the uncomfy itch. Use 1 table spoon of soda bicarbonate(not baking soda!)(without heap) on 1 medium glass of water and stir it throughly. Then u have to flush your inside of vagina with it. I use a simple plastic syringe(no needle ofcourse:) I got mine from shilds nurofen bottle Smile I know you can get something else in pharmacy. So flush all the mixture 3 times a day and you will see how it reveals, if you have an intense itching it will burn so keep your shower ready for relief, but it definately works, i dont really remember how the dr explained how it works!After the flushing you might feel uncomfy burning or 10mins or so, but it goes away! If it is really bad I use vagisil cream on the outside and if you persist and do it for arround 3-5 days in a row, it usually goes away. I prefer this to taking tablets and pessaries as not all of them work! BUT YOU HAVE TO BE SURE YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING ELSE, CONSULTING DOCTOR IS A GOOD CHOICE IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS! Hope this helps and works for some! Kind regards
|

replied March 30th, 2010
IT IS NOT A YEAST INFECTION!!!! Shorty74: I have the same thing. Some months (not many) I don't get it at all, then other months it is so bad that I am raw with itching. It isn't inside but mostly all the outisde areas. I went to the doctor and they did a pap...nothing revealed. Went to my OBGYN who I had when I was pregnant and he was baffled. He said there is nothing there. It isn't a yeast infection either he told me. Maybe it is hormonal. I thought about getting my hormones checked. I hope no one uses that flush in the above comment without ASKING their doctor yet!
|

replied March 30th, 2010
feminine itching
Hello, I am so miserable and I want relief from this itching! I itch all around the outside edge where the hair grows. mainly in the area nearest to the clitoris. I scratch it until it bleeds it itches soooooo bad. Does anyone know what this could be?
|

replied June 1st, 2010
outer feminine itching
To all of you who have the outer itching problem:

I don't know what it is, wish I did, cause I have it too. Several years ago I first got it and thought it was a yeast infection. So got the cream and applied it. After a week my genitals were still very red, the redness had spread to my very upper thighs and I was swollen 3-4 times normal size. Yeah that's when I went to minor emergency. Dr. said if I did ever have a yeast infection it was gone, but that it seems I am allergic to the stuff in the yeast infection cream. He recommended Benadryl cream. OMGosh! What a relief! Now when ever I feel the itch coming on.. I don't scratch, I go strait for that cream! Be warned, if you do or have scratched and there is irritation there can be a burning sensation when cream is applied. It usually goes away after a few minutes and for me the burning was far easier to deal with than the itching! Also, about a month ago I had an abscessed tooth and the dentist gave me amoxicillin for it. Funny enough, I haven't had the unbearable itching since then, so we'll see how long that lasts.
Best advice: Go see a doctor. But the cream can give relief until you can get in.
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Feminine itching
Hi ladies. I just wanted to share. I have had an itching/burning sensation going on for a few days and just got around to getting on the internet for some answers. I came onto this site and read one of the posts that said they had applied a yeast infection cream to ease the irritation. My schedule today has not allowed me to go to a pharmacy to get a yeast infection kit to see if this clears up the itching. I have a young daugther that is still in diapers and I thought, why not try her diaper rash cream to help ease my discomfort until I can get to the pharmacy. Diaper rash cream reduces redness, swelling, and helps restore the natural balance of PH on the skin. It is my understanding that a yeast infection is an unbalance of PH in the vaginal region. I have been using the diaper rash cream all day and it has helped tremendously from the first application. (Please only use this externaly) I just wanted to share my experience in hopes that my experience can help someone else. I am in no way suggesting that the diaper rash cream is a cure, but it could be used by some of the women saying that they don't have a yeast infection but are experiencing discomfort as a pain reliever.
|

replied July 16th, 2010
I have the same itch that sduarte46 decribed... I noticed it starts about a day before I ovulate and lasts for a couple of days then it goes away and then it comes back again a few days before I start my period and then it disapears again as soon as my period starts... It is driving me insane! I can't stand it! I don't have insurance so I can't go to a doc but there's nothing else going on down town. I don't have sex and I've only ever had one partner so I know it's not anything like that either. I'm 31 years old and this started last year. I to thought it was soap so I changed the soap I shower with then I changed what I wash my clothes with, it's none of that... I thought about using diaper rash cream but didn't know if I should so I haven't tired it yet. I think I will next time since it is only on the outside.
|

replied August 21st, 2010
I have been experiencing this same itching for a few months. I have a corn and wheat intolerance and I notice that when I eat too much wheat it have terrible itching. This is a new symptom for me with regards the allergies I have. Normally, when I'd eat wheat or corn, I would itch and have a rash in the tender areas of my body (behind knees, crook of arm). But the last few months those areas have been fine, but the clitoris/labia area gets VERY itchy. I have to take benedryl to calm it. I also sometimes will use vaseline just to soothe it. It is very embarassing to have this itch.
|

replied August 22nd, 2010
itching
You really need to see a doctor if it is as bad as some of you have described
|

replied October 21st, 2010
I have had a horrible itch for about a week now and tried the cream made for feminine itch and it did nothing. So I tried same thing that sahmomsc did and it worked wonders! I use Bourdeaux's Butt Paste for my daughter and figured I would try it and it has worked so well- I use it twice a day and clean myself very well before applying it. The itch has slowly gone away and the irritation is getting better.
|