Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Risk of STD ?

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
Hi my names Jim, we had a party at my apartment last night, I got alittle too drunk and this girl that i just met that night, pretty much took advantage of me. I remember i kept on telling her that i didnt wanna have sex, just fool around but somehow she talked me into it, and i had sex without a condom (didnt even think about it i was so drunk).

Im 21, and this is only the 2nd girl ive had sex with. the first was a high school, long-time girlfriend that we both took each other virginities, and we still always used a condom. im always really safe about my health, girls always come on to me at parties and i never let it go too far, and ive never done anything like this before.

Im so scared right now, ive been depressed all day, its all ive been thinking about all day. I know i need to go get checked out, but if she had something, what are the chances that i got it? we had sex for about 5 minutes, and right after, i took a shower, washed my genitals twice really hard, and peed, and brushed my teeth twice. Im so scared right now, my life was going so great. even after the washing, if she has a disease, is there a pretty good chance that i got it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
if she had a disease there is a high chance you got it
also you could have gotten her pregnant

gi get tested and dont get so drunk that this can happen ever again
|

replied January 13th, 2008
Experienced User
Listen, don't get paranoid about this, you've done it there is no way back. Go get a check up. Chances that she had something are pretty low, but if she had something you might got it.
|

I read a great quote once: 'My life has been full of disasters - most of which never happened!'

We have all done things we regret. Chances are you will get away with this one but put your mind at rest and get a check-up. My concern would be that she might have got pregnant so maybe it is a warning to you not to drink so much!
|

thanks for the advice everybody. i really appreciate it. im not concerned about her gettin pregnant, im pretty sure i pulled out, im just concerned about an std or soemthing. im just like the biggest health nut ever, did sports in HS and college, workout, take multi-vitimans. never smoke, rarely drink alot... =(. all my grandparents are in their late 80s with perfect health, my main goal in life was to live past 100... if i get get out of this safe, i know ill never do anything like that again.

afterwards it was like i had a drunken moment of clarity and realized what i did and stumbled to the shower. i know it wouldnt completely prevent anything, but did peeing and washing afterwards help at all?
|

User Profile
Supporter
this is the second time i have had to post this today so i feel like a tape stuck on a loop...

pulling out before ejaculation does NOT prevent pregnancy. during sex, the penis secretes small amounts of precum, which contains sperm. i don't mean to make you feel worse than you already do, but you may have got her pregnant too. i would hunt this girl down and find out if she is on any birth control and if she isn't, then you need to go with her down to the local clinic or doctor to get the morning after pill. otherwise you may get a letter in 9 months time from the child support agency demanding that you pay her towards the upbringing of the baby!

do not rely on the 'pull out method' ever, because it is not effective contraception!!!!!!!!
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Do you feel this was rape?
|

replied January 15th, 2008
Good question, Georgia - for he is certainly describing the usual behaviour of a rape victim.

I suppose it is something that we as a society still have to reconcile ourselves to, that men can be raped and sexually assualted, too.
|

replied January 15th, 2008
Experienced User
hey
if she did have something theres a small chance you would get it once after 5 minutes
dont stress.
|

replied January 16th, 2008
"the penis secretes small amounts of precum, which contains sperm."

Fiona, you should be entirely accurate if you're going to go around posting that constantly.

Precum doesn't contain sperm by default. It *can* contain it, however that is unlikely unless the guy had just had sex or pleasured himself and orgasmed already. Usually, peeing will "clean the guy out" - but it's still risky.

Not saying pulling out is a good method, but you should definitely put the straight facts out, it's not something you should be using as a pure scare-tactic, and can destroy your credibility with some people.

Pulling out, according to wikipedia, has about the same perfect-use success rate as condoms though, interesting side-fact.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
yes, it is somewhat effective. But not entirely effective- and there's no way to know when it is going to work and when it isn't. If you had sex and pulled out, that is NOT a sure sign that you aren't going to get pregnant, know what I mean?

Perfect use meaning what- that you somehow made sure that there wasn't any sperm in your pre-cum? It's just not possible. I think it's safe to say that if you're in a relationship and not too concerned about pregnancy, it's a good enough method to use. But it's not reliable if pregnancy would be a really bad thing for you.

In other words, I realize it has some level of effectiveness, but Fiona was not out of line to bring up the fact that she may have gotten pregnant. Because she could've.
|

I know, I think we agree overall, I just don't like people excluding the whole truth to suit their agenda. These are health forums, not opinion forums, I would think getting as much accuracy as possible should be the goal.

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers, I just tend to think more scientifically, I rather have issues with dishonesty and that's how I see situations where the entire truth is held back to fulfill an agenda. Personally, I also appreciate knowing the how and why behind something, so I'm going to like explaining that to others too >.<

So again, my apologies if it seems like I'm jumping on her case, I'd just rather seek truth and see that properly spread around.

Perfect-use is the just the term used for when everything goes exactly as it should - The condom doesn't break, the pill isn't missed, little things like that.

Perfect-use of:

Pill: .3% fail rate
Condom: 2% fail rate
Coitus Interruptus: 4% fail rate

Typical Use:

Pill: 8% fail rate
Condom: 10–18% fail rate
Coitus Interruptus: 15-28% fail rate

So, barring abstinence, combining as many of the methods as possible and following the instructions 100% is going to be your best bet to preventing pregnancy, but they *all* still have potential to fail.

Condoms themselves are only slightly better in both typical and perfect use situations - But I would definitely call them more than "slightly effective." - I don't think there is a 100% perfect contraceptive out there, so it all comes down to how many percentage points you'll let it slide before it fails into the "ineffective" contraceptive category.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Thanks for posting that. It really is helpful.
|

User Profile
Supporter
cmander159 wrote:
"the penis secretes small amounts of precum, which contains sperm."

Fiona, you should be entirely accurate if you're going to go around posting that constantly.

Precum doesn't contain sperm by default. It *can* contain it, however that is unlikely unless the guy had just had sex or pleasured himself and orgasmed already. Usually, peeing will "clean the guy out" - but it's still risky.

Not saying pulling out is a good method, but you should definitely put the straight facts out, it's not something you should be using as a pure scare-tactic, and can destroy your credibility with some people.

Pulling out, according to wikipedia, has about the same perfect-use success rate as condoms though, interesting side-fact.

interesting comment and good point, thankyou for pointing it out, it is something i will bear in mind next time posting. but i think you are picking hairs. the chances of precum containing no sperm whatsoever are pretty slim, and it only takes one to do the job. the most important thing is getting across the point that it is not wholly effective and shouldnt be practised without other means of contraception. an amazing amount of people dont seem to know this.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Usually when people come on and say they are using the pull-out method it has more to do with teenagers acting irresponsibly. Planned parenthood gives the same effectivess rates for pull-out, but says it is NOT a good idea for teenagers or people who are inexperienced/irresponsible or people who would really be bad off if they got pregnant.

Because of that, on this site, we always say not to use it.

If you are, for example, married and financially stable and prepared to have a child, it might be a good enough method, but not if you are a teen or something.

But that's not what this guy wanted to know, really..... Smile
|

replied January 17th, 2008
I've actually been debating starting a new thread (to get more replies) or if I should post my issue here, because quite frankly I'm in a nearly identical situation.

I could almost copy paste parts of the OP Razz haha.

I'm 20, I've only had sex with two partners, the first being my highschool love, we both were virgins, etc. The second ended up being a one night stand / fling. I think she was looking for casual sex, and I'm just a relationship only kind of guy and scared her off... I feel really weird contacting her after the fact to ask if she had any STD's, because I know she wasn't a virgin... I knew her fairly well beforehand, and so I have some trust in her, but since she sort of fell out of my life after that, I'm a little nervous, because my urethra started hurting a month or so after, it's been about 2 months, going on three and the pains that were here have pretty much gone away.

I guess, I know I should go get checked out, but I don't know if I should be getting checked out for a UTI, or an STD of some sort, or something entirely unrelated like kidney stones or something -_- I'm pretty much just entirely nervous about going to the doctor for all this, especially now that it's subsiding, but I also don't want to be a safety risk for future relationships... argh. I guess I'm just looking for some input as to what my deal might be, and some moral support, heh. It's hard to talk to the people close to me about it, even though I know they wouldn't turn their backs on me.

Heh, Ohiokid, if only we could go get tested at the same time Razz (For moral support, nothing weird intended by that statement, haha ><)
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I would say def. get tested before you get involved in another sexual relationship, but you know that. If you want some clues about what you might have caught, you can check out the sexually transmitted diseases forum.

Honestly if you're nervous about calling her, don't- if she says she's clean would you trust her? She seems in to unprotected sex and never asked you if you were clean, right? You might wanna get tested anyway.

If it were a UTI, it would hurt specifically when you peed- and you might have a feeling like you have to pee really bad but then you go and there's barely anything coming out. If it was a kidney stone you'd be feeling intense pains in your kidneys (it would feel like your lower back) far before you felt pain in your penis. That's all I can tell ya, otherwise, check the STD forum.
|

User Profile
Supporter
even if you have no symptoms whatsoever it's still a good idea to get tested since you've been sexually active. chlamydia for example often manifests no symptoms in men. i would go get tested if anything just to put your mind at rest, too. otherwise you'll always have the niggle in the back of your head that says you might have something.
|

replied January 21st, 2008
cmander159 wrote:

Perfect-use of:

Pill: .3% fail rate
Condom: 2% fail rate
Coitus Interruptus: 4% fail rate

Typical Use:

Pill: 8% fail rate
Condom: 10–18% fail rate
Coitus Interruptus: 15-28% fail rate

I find statistics such as these useless. Seriously. You argue about whether or not the pull out method is effective... and sure, it is most of the time for many people, but clearly not all the time. And add alcohol to the mix, who's to say for sure if you really did pull out in time. I'd be willing to bet that you can't account for all the little sperm that jumped out that night. but whatever. if it's a problem, the girl will let you know. And to base your pull out method on the stats above is like saying, ok if i have sex with 100 people, and pull out, typically i'll get 15-28 girls pregnant. Obviously thats crap, but thats kinda what those stats are saying. heh.

Just get tested so you know where you stand, can't really do anything about the situation till then. Almost everyone makes a drunken mistake like yours, and although it's hard to deal with at the moment, you'll move on. its not the end of the world.
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Well, no, actually, it means that out of every 100 women, 15-28 will get pregnant using that method for a whole year.

For a year, not just once.

But totally true- add alcohol and you're sure to mess up.
|