Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Natural hallucinogens trigger manic symptoms ?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Does anyone know if natural hallucinogens such as peyote and certain types of mushrooms trigger manic symptoms?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper anadreamz
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Alcohol, street drugs (ecstasy, cocaine, hashish, amphetamines, magic mushrooms), medication (steroids, certain blood pressure tablets and anti-Parkinson drugs') can all cause depression or mania in people who are predisposed to mood-swings.

Have you been diagnosed bipolar already?
|

replied January 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Wish I could help, but I've never done those drugs.
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2008
from my experiences, yessir
|

replied February 2nd, 2008
I can tell you that I bugged out on shrooms and became manic on PCP and Ketamine
|

replied February 6th, 2008
Experienced User
It goes without saying...

Any form of hallucinogens and/or mind alterring substances, messes with your neural pathways by either blocking them or allowing more stimulis to go through than what is supposed to. That's why mind alterring substances makes you "High"...which could also be described as Manic.

This is a protection method of the plant to stop animals from eating it. Some thorn trees in the African Savannah has been proven to start secreting cianide if an animal eats too much of it (Giraffes only eat for a couple of minutes from a specifc tree and then moves on as the tree becomes toxic)

In the case of bi-polarism, these neural pathways is naturally disrupted by some chemical in-balance in the brain that manages the flow of stimuli. Therefor, these same substances gets used to alter the flow of stimuli. Obviously, this a very fine balancing act and most medication will, ten to one, make you lean towards either the manic or depressive side depending on the person.

Don't know why I rambled on like this about the subject, but that's my take on it Wink
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Hi there... I think its obvious that shrooms could cause manic symptoms to appear. I used to shoplift DXM from stores to level out my mood when I was manic and it just really made me a zombie, right now I steer clear of anything except weed.
|

replied September 28th, 2008
Yes
I wasn't diagnosed at the time, so I didn't realize what was happening to me, but back when I was about 19 or 20 I took some psylocybin mushrooms with some friends. The trip turned bad real quick. I started ranting, "This is it. There's nothing else. You're a kid, you go to school, you get married, have kids, and that's it. There's nothing else. We're all trapped, trapped in the pattern. There's nothing else. You're a kid, you go to school...etc." On and on, for hours, until my friends left me alone, confused at how to deal with me. When the affects finally wore off, the mantra continued in my head. I couldn't make it stop. I think this was my sophmore year in college, and I remember pacing my dorm room for several hours every night with the matra repeating itself over and over again in my head. I was scared to go to class, I was scared to see people, so I was scared to leave my room. It then got worse, suicidal thoughts started spinning through my head. And I didn't understand. I tried to counteract the mantra with another, more positive statement, "I have a great family, good friends, a nice life, I should be happy." It didn't work. The pervasive sadness and unending mantra lasted for several months. It was only a year later I would have my first hospitilization, leading to a bipolar diagnosis. So, yeah, I think hallucinogens can trigger an episode.
|

replied May 15th, 2011
Don't risk shrooms!
If you are bipolar, don't do any psychoactive drugs without the knowledge of your psychiatrist! My husband did shrooms and then tried to kill me, threatened to kill our children and had to be hauled off by the sheriff. Whatever you may think are the possible benefits, is it really worth that risk? Right now, we don't know if my husband will ever be able to leave the psych ward.
|

replied May 15th, 2011
Experienced User
I have read that there is significant research showing that stimulants can trigger mania and depressants can trigger depression (surprising, right?)

I am uncertain that significant research has been done on hallucinogens (like marijuana, LSD, et cetera). While it is possible that some hallucinogens might help treat bipolar symptoms (although, again, I doubt there is sufficient research to conclude that definitively), it is also quite possible that they can trigger episodes.

People with bipolar disorder already have enough problems with their neurology. It is probably a bad idea to start messing around with drugs that have serious neurological effects. It would be like trying to cure someone of back pain by punching them in the spine. It is possible you might punch something back into alignment, but there is a good chance that it will do nothing and quite possibly make the problem worse.
|

replied October 10th, 2012
I have been diagnosed with bipolar one since i was 13 (i am now 20), i took myself of all medications at 18. I have tried lsd, mushrooms, MDMA, ketamine, mescaline, and a variety of experimental hallucinogens. first thing i have to say is if you are prescribed lithium DO NOT TAKE ANY HALLUCINOGENS. you will have a seizure. also many ssri's mess with drugs so check up on ur meds first if you are on any. i personally have enjoyed most of my psychedelic drug experiences. I have had unpleasant trips before but no more so than the unpleasant trips of my friends who are mentally stable. When trying drugs for the first time i would do a very small amount. personally i think hallucinogens can even be beneficial to people with bipolar and other disorders (particularly ocd and major depression), however if you are at risk for schizophrenia maybe not a good idea. I will say though, the next day or so AFTER tripping i am usually either in a hypomanic episode or very irritable.

all of that being said, i have had typically worse experience on mushrooms than any other hallucinogen (they are very personal where as acid seems more interpersonal), my best experiences have been with mescaline and lsd. MDMA will definetly trigger mania...but it kinda just makes everyone bipolar. DON'T DO PCP.

separate note don't do steroids, EVER. the drugs i feel mess with bipolar the most are alcohol and cociane.

so start small, and i'd suggest one tab of lsd or 1/4 8th of shrooms your first time tripping. you probably won't even get visuals just an elated mood, feeling of oneness with everything, and a general realization that nothing matters but its okay.
good vibes : ) rainbow
|

replied November 16th, 2012
for the past many years i have been chronic and enjoying mushrooms, only recently i have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It seems to me the reaction depends on the person. the main question i have is about specific medication types and interactions between them and other illicit substances. If I've done the drugs before in my life with little to no severe side effects, will the situation change once i start taking medication. Mushrooms are by far my favorite but i am tentative to try them, while on the other hand i have done them many times without much if any changes to my mood or at least that i had observed at the time.

Another question to consider is does the concentration of psilocybin or rather specific stain of mushroom change the effect on mood. it is understandable that higher concentrations of active compound might cause a stronger or more noticeable effect of mood. so to reitterate in a more clear statement would lizard king cubensis vs psilocybe cyanescens, with the latter containing ruffly 3 times more active component than the lizard king..

anyway i feel like im kinda rambling, but i hope that perhaps this helped without raising to many other questions

Easy travels
|

replied August 27th, 2014
WARNING about Psychedelic Mushrooms and Bipolar Disorder
I know two young adults (twins) who took psychedelic mushrooms at different times (at age 19 and 20) and shortly after, each developed Bipolar Disorder. It was clearly the cause, although they may have been susceptible to developing Bipolar and didn't know it. It has led to nightmarish situations and much heartache for them and their family. Each has been hospitalized and been in trouble with the law because of the Bipolar mania. My advice to anyone- don't take psychedelic mushrooms- EVER!
|

replied September 7th, 2014
YES

If you are bipolar or even think that you are STAY AWAY from all hallucinagens.

Our genetic sequence is NOT set in stone, but continually changing. Similar genes for things like bi-polar may be dormant in some individuals, but expressed in others due to environmental conditions such as stress, drugs, ect.

From personal experience, my symptoms of Bi-polar started manifesting circa age 19-20. This is when I stopped using and abusing hallucinogens once and for all. I could sense that the substances were making my mental state categorically worse, and that if I continued using them I would destroy what little (at the time) control I had over my mind.

When I sense that I am getting a little manic, or even feeling stressed out, I don't even drink or smoke. At those times, can't afford any sort of neural disturbance- and weed alcohol aren't worth the potential blow back from a manic episode.

From (past) personal experience I would say that Acid is the worst. As a teenager, that nasty substance almost drove me into an unstoppable fit of mania. If you even think you have the shadow of any sort of mental illness never touch it! Peyote can also rough. Shrooms can be alright if you are mentally sound, are with kind people, and a calm environment. But so some real soul-searching beforehand to ensure that your mind is in an allright place.
|
Quick Reply